< Relax ... | Main | Humbled >

Links of the day

That's about it. Have a great weekend. I am heading for yet another Cub Scouts camp out! Yipeee!

Posted by snackeru at July 29, 2005 9:03 AM | Links of the day

Love those Links! My number doesn't spell sh** either. :(

But my friends is 364-BUNS. I don't even know what her real number is. Just that is spells BUNS. Maybe since all those (professed) Christians are paying so much lip service (instead works and actions) to their religion... they could do some praying for some XBH. Can't hurt right? Of course if you believe that, you may be exactly the type of Christian that personifies our current culture. If so... WAY TO GO! YOU RULE! Keep on hedgin' those bets.

Have a good weekend everyone! Oh, and Shane... be careful, those Scout meetings have gotten dangerous all of a sudden.

Posted by: Andy at July 29, 2005 5:39 PM

Strangely, my phone number spells MEF IRS TSBG.

Posted by: SBG at July 31, 2005 12:20 PM

Wow, the letters "SBG" are in your phone number? Spooky!

Posted by: Shane at August 1, 2005 1:06 PM

And Andy, yes Scout meetings are suddenly deadly! By the way, a while back I seriously injured my shoulder on a scouting event and it is just now back to 100%. So, I have learned to take it easy while with the Cub Scouts, that is for sure.

And as a professed Christian I must admit that articles like these, that show our infuriating hypocrisy, really give me reason to look at the outward expression of my own faith. Usually I find it lacking. I need to practice more of what Jesus preached.

Posted by: Shane at August 1, 2005 1:15 PM

If I may stir the pot a bit, my outsider's experience is that many Christians have their "signs reversed" when it comes to biblically inspired behavior. Rather than looking to Christ and emulating his behavior, they will choose behavior that benefits them, and then try to justify it by finding something in the Bible which vaguely endorses it. Whether it's possible to have a logically consistent moral philosophy by following the teachings of Jesus is an interesting related question, and maybe is part of the problem.

Posted by: Tim M at August 1, 2005 1:51 PM

Tim, I have pondered your comment for a while. I would agree that some Christians display the behavior you suggest, and it is tragic and disgusting. I am intrigued by your "logically consistent moral philosophy" comment, though. Are you suggesting that Jesus contradicted himself, and that it may be impossible to live a consistent moral life based on his teachings? Interesting. I would love more clarification on this if you could offer it.

Secondly, my problem right now with Christians is the finger-pointing, holier-than-thou attitude, and the persecution complex. For me, the central tenet of Jesus's teachings came when the disciples asked him what is the greatest commandment. He responded, "Love the Lord God with all your heart, and love your neighbor as yourself." If Christians heeded these commandments above all others, if Christians gave these commandments as much passion and time as issues like gay marriage or the 10 Commandments in public places, I think we could make a much more beneficial impact on this world.

Anyway, gotta go. Thanks for the comment.

Posted by: Shane at August 3, 2005 9:03 AM