< Questions for Lester | Main | Refrigerators? Why yes, they do make me happy! >

Refrigeration blues

You know how kids are. Everything has to be done fast, especially chores. If you ask a child to sweep the floor, it is usually done quickly and not very well. In other words, it is done quick and dirty and just well enough to get by. This fact of life drives me nuts in my own kids. "Why does everything have to be done fast?" I ask my own kids, "Why don't you do a good job the first time so you don't have to do it again?"

This is especially true of my older son. He is getting better as he gets older, but he still tries to get by with the bare minimum (and as fast as possible). So, I have come up with a little saying that he has heard me repeat over and over again in his short life:

"There is a fast way to do something, and the right way to do something. Do it the right way."

I know, you are overwhelmed with the subtle wisdom of this little nugget. The last time I said this to him was during our Webelos camp where he somehow discombobulated his tent's zipper so that it wouldn't close or open the tent. It was just stuck in the middle with both sides open. I could see that the tent fabric was totally jammed inside of the zipper. He must have had to go to the bathroom something fierce and in a rush he must have just ranked on the zipper until it absolutely couldn't move anymore. I asked him, "You forced it, didn't you?" He said, "Yeah, sorry." So, I said, "There is a fast way to do something, and the right way to do something. Do it the right way." See where that saying can come in handy?

Anyway, that brings you to me. Unfortunately I didn't heed my own advice. A little while ago my compact refrigerator in my basement, where I would usually store all my tasty beverages, suddenly got full of so much ice that I couldn't even close the door. As a result, the problem just got worse as it got filled with more and more ice. So, obviously, I had two options: 1) I could unplug the fridge and let the ice melt naturally, or 2) I could chip it out with a knife. Yep, you guessed it, I picked the knife. What a moron.

At first the chipping was going well. Big chunks of ice were flying everywhere. I was making progress! And then the inevitable happened. I chipped right into one of the coils and was blasted by the hiss and freeze of all my precious freon escaping from the fridge. And with that, my compact fridge, where I keep all my Vanilla Coke, is now broken beyond repair.

That is my advice for today. And if anyone knows where I can get a cheap compact refridgerator (upright kind, around 34" tall) please let me know. And I vow to never take a knife within 5 feet of a refrigerator again.

Posted by snackeru at August 2, 2005 8:46 AM | Life

Shane, Shane, Shane...

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at August 2, 2005 9:41 AM

Great story. Fun read as we've all been there. "Do it the right way" is often uttered around our house as well and is followed within 24-hours by "Do as a I say, not as I do".

By the way, in clearing through the storage room last night, Graham and I came across my Webelos badge pins, old shirt and scarf and such. Graham decided he had to take the Webelos badge pins (those things you got for like birdwatching, and such) to preschool today for his "Sharing and Caring" day.

Posted by: Brian Maas at August 2, 2005 11:49 AM