< Absolute randomness | Main | Yoo hooo .... >

The Vikings game

Thanks to the generosity of Mr. Cheer or Die my son and I attended the Vikings game last Friday night and we sat in the first row. I don't think I've ever sat in the first row for anything, ever! Not for the Twins. Not for the T-Wolves. Certainly not for the Vikings. I suppose the only time I sat in the first row was when I was on the bench on my high school basketball team. Ah, the memories... but I digress. On Friday my son and I sat in style and it was a fantastic, eye-opening experience. Check it out:

vikes1.jpg

When we first got to the Dome the Chiefs were warming up. Obviously Mr. Cheer or Die's seats are in the first row of the end zone where the visiting team warms up. This gives Mr. COD ample opportunity to heckle the opposition, which he has described before. Seeing the players up close was amazing. I told my son to yell down, "We want a pitcher, not a belly itcher!" but he thought that was a pretty stupid idea.

vikes2.jpg

This is a picture of the play before Daunte hooked up with Burleson for the evening's first score. It really doesn't do justice to how close we were to the action. Remember when Sharper broke up that potential TD pass to Samie Parker? That was right in front of us. I think my son thought they were going to land in his lap! He was freaking out.

And speaking of Darren Sharper, before the game a video of him came on the scoreboard screen with Green Bay's logo and colors in the background. Sharper said something to the effect, "Welcome Vikings fans! I used to be the enemy, but now I am on the good side. Thanks for your support!" Or something like that. Then the colors and logo shifted to the Vikings. It was hilarious. The crowd cheered.

vikes3.jpg

Unfortunately for my son, the Metrodome is also not that great of a football stadium either. Since he is a little short, this was his view if he sat normally. He could barely see over the wall separating us from the field. So, for a lot of the game he stood and leaned over the wall. Thankfully this didn't bother the people behind us and my son got more into the game as a result. That was nice. I told him if the Vikings caught a TD pass on this end he might end up catching one of the players in the celebration. He was a little nervous after that! The people behind us got into the action of joking with him that he "better get ready" whenever the Vikings got close to our side. Unfortunately Burleson didn't jump into my son's arms after the opening drive. That would have been pretty wild.

vikes4.jpg

This is my attempt to get a picture of the new Vikings cup for the 2005 season. As you can see, my stupid camera kept on focusing on something else. Well, I know how much all of you wanted to see that cup, so I hope this will do. We'll have to ask Mr. COD to get more pictures of the cup when he attends games this year.

My impression of the game is thus: the defense needs work. The Chiefs' offense moved pretty smoothly in the first quarter even though they didn't manage to score many points. Daunte looked spectacular. I have no doubt that he will play up to the high standards we expect, but Bennett was a disappointment. I've been hearing rumblings already that MeMo will be the starting running back by October. We'll see. And of the rookies, I was highly impressed with Ciatrix Fason. I had no idea he is as tall as he is, and he ran very, very well. And Erasmus was very quick off the block. I think we'll see him in the starting line-up very shortly.

So, that was our trip to the Vikings game. It was very special for me and my son to get a chance to sit that close to the action, even if it was only a preseason game. Thanks a ton Mr. COD! We had a blast!!!

Posted by snackeru at August 14, 2005 8:29 PM | Vikings

On the Sharper play that took place in front of you, I could see you and your son in the background. At least I knew that you were A) wearing purple colors and not green; B) were INTO the game and C) were having a great time. So you passed the test and are now eligible to attend more games in the future and plant your keister in the front row.

Glad you had a great time. Nice pics....oh, and those holes you see in the concrete were from the '98 NFC Championship loss to the Falcons. Those holes match the knuckles on my hands.

Posted by: Brian Maas at August 14, 2005 8:53 PM

HA! I had no idea we were being tested. Well, I'm thrilled that we passed. Brian, I had just a great time. I would LOVE to go to another game. Anytime you want to sell me your tickets just let me know. I had a blast.

I was wondering about those holes. I can't even think about the '98 NFC championship game without getting depressed. I can't imagine how it was to be there (I was actually at the Cardinals game the week before). And I was wondering about the gum, too. Is that your's? Are you saving it for later?

Posted by: Shane at August 14, 2005 9:01 PM

Good gawd! Is that gum STILL there! It must be at least 10-years old. I kid you not.

Posted by: Brian Maas at August 14, 2005 10:11 PM