< Links of the day | Main | Weekend thoughts >

Movies I really liked but I didn't think I would (as much)

Hello everyone! I trust you are having a good Friday. Me? Well yes, I am thanks for asking. But that is not the point of this pointless post. Last night I watched Napoleon Dynamite again, this time with my kids. My 10 year old loved it, like I knew he would, but my 4 year old and my 6 year old also enjoyed it. In fact, they were mezmerized by it. My 4 year old usually doesn't sit still for movies at all (unless it is a Barbie cartoon), but she watched the entirety of this movie. Go figure. Anyway, watching this quirky movie got me to thinking about movies I have seen recently that I didn't think I would like as much as I did (do?). Here is my list:

1. The Sum of All Fears -- This was a really enjoyable movie. I was stunned since I really can't stand Tom Clancy books (usually). Ben Affleck and Morgan Freeman do a stellar job in this one.
  2. The Matchstick Men -- This one really surprised me. I'm not a big Nicolas Cage fan, but this movie was very good and his performance was quite humorous. A little twist at the end, too. Very nice.
  3. The Runaway Jury -- I was shocked I liked this one. I didn't care for the book a whole lot so I didn't think I'd like this movie too much. Well, I was wrong. It might be because they changed the main focus of the movie away from smoking to gun control, but I found the story riveting.
  4. The Count of Monte Cristo -- Holy cow I love this movie. I could watch it over and over again and still love it. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor.
  5. The Spanish Prisoner -- My mom suggested this one and I thought, "OK, I'll give it a try." Well, I was blown away. It was awesome.
  6. Batman Begins -- I went into this one thinking, "Batman? Yeah, he's pretty cool..." I came out saying, "Batman is freakin' awesome dude!" See the difference?

So, there you have it. Let me know if I should put any others on my Netflix queue.

Posted by snackeru at August 19, 2005 11:49 AM | Lists

Batman Begins. I can't say it enough. Awesome.

Posted by: SBG at August 19, 2005 12:11 PM

This list is null and void. Any list that praises the acting ability of Ben Affleck has no validity whatsoever. Replacing Harrison Ford as Jack Ryan with Ben Affleck is akin to having Jim Carrey play Indiana Jones.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at August 19, 2005 12:17 PM

See, that's just it! I didn't expect to like Sum of All Fears at all. Ben Affleck? I thought he would suck. But the movie is really good. Hence the reason it is on this list.

Batman Begins just blew me away. Can't wait for the next one.

Posted by: Shane at August 19, 2005 12:43 PM

I just hope that the next Batman isn't to Batman Begins as Robocop II is to Robocop.

Posted by: SBG at August 19, 2005 3:40 PM

Ha! Yes, we can only hope for how Terminator II is to Terminator I. All I'm saying is that it was a worthy sequel!

From the ending of Batman Begins I would think the Joker will be in the next one. I am looking forward to that one...

Posted by: Shane at August 19, 2005 3:44 PM

So long as it's not played by Ben Affleck

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at August 19, 2005 4:18 PM

What do you mean? Affleck is a joker of the highest order.

Terminator II is to Terminator I as Affleck is to Damon.

Posted by: SBG at August 19, 2005 5:39 PM

Ooooooh, good one!

I don't really mind Ben Affleck, though. And speaking of Damon, the Brothers Grimm looks pretty good...

Posted by: Shane at August 19, 2005 5:48 PM

Well I agree with you at least halfway, because I don't think I would like any of these. Well, maybe Batman Begins, I've heard good things about that one. One movie from Netflix I really liked recently was I (heart) Huckabees - hilarious and thought-provoking.

Posted by: Tim M at August 19, 2005 6:43 PM

Yeah, I liked "Matchstick Men" and "Monte Cristo." Love "Batman Begins" and "Spanish Prisoner." (I love "Spanish Prisoner" director David Mamet.)

I'm also really looking forward to "The Brothers Grimm" because I love Terry Gilliam's movies for the most part, too.

Posted by: bjhess at August 19, 2005 10:47 PM

Shane: If you haven't already give the "Thin Man" movies a try. The banter between Myrna Loy and William Powell alone makes the movies in this series great watching for you and the Mrs.

Posted by: Brian Maas at August 20, 2005 9:03 AM

Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle. Laughed my butt off. Took my mind off the Twins bleak ballpark situation.
-Jiminstpaul

Posted by: Jim in St. Paul at August 20, 2005 5:38 PM

Yeah, H&K surprised me so much I think I watched it three times in three weeks. Just a fun movie to watch with a group. I very rarely watch movies that frequently over a short period of time.

Posted by: bjhess at August 21, 2005 10:30 PM

H&K was a really fun movie. Van Wilder is also really funny if you haven't seen it yet. Also, Super Troopers is probably the funniest movie I've ever seen. It's nothing like Reno 911, try as Comedy Central might.

Posted by: Wink at August 22, 2005 11:25 AM