< Founding Brothers | Main | I'm angry >

How about those Twins?

Santana for Cy Young

I'm speechless. It really doesn't happen too often that you watch a game that will be remembered, not just for a couple of years but I would wager for a long, long time. So much drama! The pitching, the fielding (!), the fact that Jacque Jones seems to always come through when most of us would have been hobbled by grief ... Man! What a game.

Too bad Mays is pitching tonight.

• Charley Walters is reporting today that:

Although talks have picked up in recent days, no decision on whether to have a special Legislative session that would include stadium issues is expected until after Labor Day, and insiders say odds are no better than 50-50 that it will occur.

50-50 is better than nothing. Our best bet still remains in the fact that the Gopher's stadium bill needs to be heard before December:

In the past seven days, almost 2,000 e-mails have landed in the offices of Gov. Tim Pawlenty and state legislators, asking for a special session to pass a bill providing the public's share of the football stadium's projected $235 million cost.

Apparently, a large group of Gopher stadium backers have been successful in catching the ear of the governor. In addition, the article included this quote:

"Their Web e-mail thing works,'' Brian McClung, the governor's chief spokesman, said Monday. "It's a noticeable volume of e-mail.''

Too bad the thousands of letters they've received in favor of a new Twins stadium seem to have gone unnoticed. I guess its only when they all look the same and have the same content do they start counting them.

But whoever would have thought that the best chance for a Twins stadium bill would be to piggy back on another stadium bill's chances? I still say a special session will be called.

Posted by snackeru at August 24, 2005 1:05 PM | Stadiums | Twins

I think the chances of T-Paw calling a special session for stadiums is greater than 50 percent and if he does, the Gophers stadium will easily pass. This proposal is dialed in politically and the only reason it wasn't passed in the regular session was because it would look unseemly passing a stadium before a budget was passed.

The Gophers stadium is such a slam dunk, that my local Rep - Frank Hornstein - has indicated that he will vote for it. This is a guy who is so anti-Twins ballpark that not only has he stated that he won't vote for it but has tried to kill the Twins ballpark bill by trying to get amendments attached to it that would guarantee that the bill would never pass.

If (when) there is a special stadium for the Gophers there will be a pretty good chance that the Twins ballpark would be considered too. I still think there is enough support for a Twins ballpark but it will be much closer than the Gophers stadium.

Bottom line: I still think we can be cautiously optimistic that we will have an approved Twins ballpark deal by the end of the year.

Posted by: freealonzo at August 24, 2005 2:38 PM

A session will be called to at least address the Gopher stadium. According to Randy Shaver (sports director of KARE 11) he spoke to T-Paw at the fair and T-Paw stated that the Gopher stadium is going to happen.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at August 31, 2005 3:16 PM