< How about those Twins? | Main | Links of the day >

I'm angry

I'm angry today. Something that I've been working on for a long time has been pushed back and this has all happened at the last possible minute. So, I'm mad. And it isn't necessarily because my project has been pushed back, but ... well, I can't get into specifics. Darn my lack of anonymity.

But I wanted to say that being angry can sometimes feel good. I have a "screw the world" type attitude today and I don't care what anyone thinks. I have also probably said some stupid things to the people I work with, but that happens when you are angry.

There is two types of anger: justified and unjustified. Unjustified anger is when you are angry for no reason. You are just in a foul mood. It is during these times that the people around you have every right to be angry back at you for being such a jerk. For example, when someone is trying to merge in front of you from an on-ramp and you get angry at that person. Bzzz! That is unjustified anger. Merging is a fact of life. Get over it.

But justified anger, that is another story. People who have justified anger should be given a one day pass to let it all out. For example, today I feel I have been wronged. I have been accused of untrue things. Have these people not seen my new sideburns? Do these sideburns not demand respect? What is especially upsetting about this is that I have worked really hard. Man, I am angry! And you know what? I am going to keep on being angry! I deserve to be angry! It is my right in this instance to be angry. How am I supposed to feel, happy? I have said stupid things, and hopefully I won't say any more stupid things but I probably will. I can't help it, though. My anger is justified and that is just the way it is.

The trouble with living in Minnesota is that people don't like it when you are angry. They immediately think you are unjustified in your anger. They'll say, "Calm down, Shane. Here, have a Vanilla Coke." Ah, nice try but no dice. Not even the savory goodness of Vanilla Coke will satiate the beast in me. People need to start recognizing the difference between justified and unjustified anger in this state and let the chips fall where they may. If a person is justified, then give them 24 hours to cool down. If not, only then can you call them on it and tell them to chill out.

Tomorrow will be different. My one day pass will be over and I will come to work refreshed and happy. But today I am going to be angry. It is my right and there isn't anything you can do about it.

Posted by snackeru at August 25, 2005 12:55 PM | Life

I am very proud of you Shane.

Posted by: Mr. Crankbutt at August 25, 2005 1:45 PM

Like the proverbial Kitten clinging to the branch with one paw... "Hang in there baby!"

Or the frog with his head in a bird's mouth and his hands around it's neck... "Never give up!"

Posted by: Andy W. at August 25, 2005 3:32 PM

Ahem, one sporting mutton chops AND sporting a massive chip on one's shoulder does not imbibe with Vanilla Coke. That is like a bad-ass Harley drivin'tattoed wearing Hells Angel card carrying member walking into a bar and asking for milk.

I think CC and SBG will agree...it's time to start making your own Flaming Giraffes at home. Drink them 3 times a day.....as one does Guinness. If you have forgotten the recipe here it is again:

2 oz Kahlua
1 oz Butterscoth Schnapps
1 oz 151 proof rum

Take a shot glass, add the Kahlua, then the schnapps and then float the rum and set on fire. Please remember to blow it out first!

Then line up the movie "Network" from NetFlix because, "you are mad as hell and you're not going to take it any more!"

PS: We HAVE to get you on a podcast(with the other FH) while you are snippy. That would pull in a 70-share. I'm sure of it.

Posted by: Brian Maas at August 25, 2005 9:39 PM

Just as I was justified in throwing a shoe at the TV while watching Penny Steele blab away about new stadiums and how they have no business infecting the dear landscape of the Twin Cities.

Posted by: TwinsJunkie at August 25, 2005 10:37 PM

Shane,

Have you forgotten so soon the lessons of tae-kwon-leap?

"What have we learned from the parable of Ed Gruberman, students?"

"I have learned two things, master."

"And they are?"

"First, anger is a weapon only to one's opponent."

"Very good. And the other?"

"Get in the first shot. Boot to the head!"

Posted by: David Wintheiser at August 25, 2005 10:43 PM

Boot to the head! Thanks for that trip down memory lane David!

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at August 26, 2005 12:17 AM