< Links of the day | Main | The Border Battle Continues ... >

New Libraries web site

Sorry for my silence everyone, but I have been busy over the past couple of days working on a new web site for my "real" job (no, blogging isn't my real job, although it is a part of it!). As many of you know, I am the webmaster (I prefer the term "web sovereign") at the University of Minnesota Libraries. Just yesterday we unveiled the new version of our web site, much to my happiness and relief. If you'll recall, I was angry last week. This web site, or the lack of a release on Thursday, was the reason. Anyway, if you'd like to take a look, point your browser to:

http://www.lib.umn.edu/

If you are unfamiliar with what the old site looked like, take a look at it also. Anyway, I'm proud of both designs, but my design philosophy has changed since we came out with the old design almost 5 years ago. For one, I'm a big believer in using text, colors, CSS, and layout rather than images and/or copious use of tables to design a site. Text and colors through CSS is much more flexible and elegant than images and they download faster.

You'll also note that there are way more links on the new home page than the old. In 2000 when we unveiled the old libraries' web site we were concerned that too many links would confuse users and overwhelm them. I don't think this is true anymore. Users today are actually quite used to a lot of links as is evidenced by sites like CNN, ESPN, Amazon, etc. More links will also give users a better chance of finding the information they are looking for, what Jared Spool calls the "scent of information." Too few links means less options and a descreased chance of finding those distinct keywords many users look for on a new site.

Anyway, blah, blah, blah. More later.

Posted by snackeru at August 30, 2005 9:48 AM | Life

Outstanding job Shane! Another victory for the Renegade Librarian!

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at August 31, 2005 3:11 PM