< New Libraries web site | Main | The Best Rock Operas >

The Border Battle Continues ...

Well, as The Oracle of Cheese has already pointed out today, Cheeshead Craig and I resumed our epic Border Battle last night in the form of a game of Stratego, the famous "two-handed strategy game."

And if I may digress for a second, what the heck does it mean that it is a "two-handed" strategy game? Does this mean that if a person only has one hand they are out of luck? I have been perplexed by this for quite a while. If anyone can shed any light on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Anywhoo, here are some pictures of our separate strategies. Here is Craig's set up:

stratego- craig

And here is my board setup:

stratego-shane

Note the differing strategies especially the fact that Craig did not surround his flag with bombs. That is surprising. Then again, it seemed to work out for him. Allow me to explain.

Craig went first since he choose "red" as his color. Things were going well for me until Craig attacked my left flank with a renegade "2" and ran roughshod through the back of my army. This seriously decmiated my remaining troops. Meanwhile I also begain attacking his left flank. Well, this side included both his Marshall and his spy. In other words for about 3/4 of the game my Marshall was incapacitated as Craig and I both jockeyed for position with our spys.

My mistake came by focusing my attack on the his left flank in the beginning. I should have attacked the right and trailed a miner sooner. By the time I figured this out I didn't have enough "big dogs" to clear out the rest of his pieces.

Long story short, the game came down to both of our abililities to retain enough miners to defuse bombs. Since I seemed to have focused my attack on his left flank, I ended up with only a "5" and an "8" towards the end of the game. I knew he only had one miner left, but I didn't know where it was. So, Craig took care of my last "5" and in a last ditch effort I attacked the only piece I could with my "8." It turned out to be his last miner and the game ended in a tie. Craig was distraught and I was relieved. Without any miners, CC would obviously be unable to difuse my bombs. Sure, the rest of his army could dance around my flag while performing their Wisconsin/pagan rituals, but they would never be able to get to it. Meanwhile, I would call in reinforcements and wipe out the rest of his army. Isn't that a part of Stratego?

Anyway, the game ended in a tie. It was an amazing game and it seems we will have to duplicate our efforts another night.

The Border Battle rages on with the score still 2-2. Obviously you can cut the tension with a knife!

Posted by snackeru at August 30, 2005 12:39 PM | Life

My strategy was awesome! I took out at least 4 pieces with my bombs. I had Shane completely off-kilter. I simply forgot about my miners, which was my only blunder in the game. Until we meet again Slackjawed Shane!

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at August 30, 2005 2:02 PM