< The Best Rock Operas | Main | Hurricane Katrina >

Stuff on my mind

• First things first, it appears that a special session will indeed be called. I've heard this from two sources now. The more reliable report comes from Cheesehead Craig who has said that Randy Shaver says T-Paw told him one would be called after the Fair. This is, of course, good news. The other report comes from my brother-in-law who is a teacher in Hennepin County and who could benefit from some additional health care legislation if a special session is called. He tells me that his union/teacher compatriots are being told that there bill will be heard in a special session. So, I'm feeling more and more confident our legislators will make a glorious return to the capitol in a couple of weeks.

The big question is will the Twins stadium be heard? Will it pass? Again, the Twins stadium chances have definitely benefited from the Gophers stadium efforts. However, Gopher fans and the Gopher stadium drive has recently been grabbing all the good press and the favor of the legislators. At the fair:

Oh, they were talking about some matters of state at the fair on Saturday. A few with their dander up about the Legislature's dawdling ways got some digs in when they met up with some of the legislators making their fair appearances. And the No. 1 serious statewide topic appeared to be sports stadiums, followed by the prospects for a fall special session.

"I'm hearing a lot of support for a Twins stadium," said Rep. Mike Charron, R-Woodbury. "But the e-mails I'm getting are more for a Gophers stadium."

Did you catch that subtle dig? The Twins stadium is important, but not as important as the Gophers stadium. And it appears that emails are more important to our legislators than actually talking. How peachy. Anyway, I think it is obvious a special session will be called and that a Gophers stadium is a slam dunk. We'll see if the same can be said for a Twins stadium in a couple of weeks.

• And speaking of stadiums, the evacuation of the Superdome seems to be put on hold right now due to shots being fired and arson fires being lit. I can't imagine what people are going through right now down there. I read an interesting piece about the looting happening in Louisiana, a piece that actually speaks in favor of the looting. Very interesting and thought provoking. Can't say I disagree.

Needless to say, my wife and I will be making a donation to the Salvation Army to help with their relief efforts.

• Cheesehead Craig and I resumed our Border Battle last night with round two of Stratego. I lost. It was all my fault. I was right next to his flag but I moved back instead of right. Kaboom. Game over. I was very upset to be so close and to lose thanks to my own stupidty. Quite frankly I don't even want to talk about it. Craig leads the battle 3-2. Mini-golf is next.

That's all for now. See you soon.

Posted by snackeru at September 1, 2005 8:44 AM | Life | Stadiums

The FEMA official who was speaking on Nightline" last night (or whatever the ABC evening news special edition show is called) talked about tolerance for looters of food and water, it was the theives stealing drugs from the children's hospital, guns from pawn shops, and cars from dealer parking lots that are objectionable. I think the response with the military was way too slow and NOPD should not have been taken away from first priority of finding survivors. Then again, no one asked me. Too bad so many of our national guardsmen are stationed abroad. I'd like to know (without a political skew) if that would have made a difference in response time.

Posted by: Cheesehead's wife at September 1, 2005 9:22 AM

Just a reminder for all of you Stratego players out there, only miners can take out the bombs, not the generals. Right Shane?

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at September 1, 2005 2:00 PM

It is a "Marshall" you lucky, lucky Cheesehead. I can't believe I lost to this guy (twice)!

Posted by: Shane at September 1, 2005 2:45 PM

At least I knew that it couldn't take out bombs...

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at September 1, 2005 3:09 PM