< Hurricane Katrina | Main | Links of the day >

Don't have much to say

• The students have returned to the University of Minnesota. I am always surprised at how much more crowded the campus becomes today compared with last week. I prefer having the students around though. Makes things a little more exciting.

• And because the students are back, The Minnesota Daily is back in print every weekday. Today, they had a good article discussing the chances for a special session to deal with the Gophers stadium issue. According to the article, Sen. Geoff Michel, R-Edina, chief author of the bill sets the chances of a special session being called at 50-50. Also according the article: "But Rep. Phyllis Kahn, DFL-Minneapolis, said she doesn’t think the governor will call a special session in light of the government shutdown earlier this summer." So, we are still up in the air on this one, it seems. I personally still think a special session will be called.

• This is especially true since the governor is going to start getting more and more pressure to call a special session now that the State Fair is done. Bob Sansavere of the Pioneer Press wrote a very short article voicing his support for a Twins stadium and a special session in today's paper. I think we are going to start seeing more of this.

• Lastly, and I don't know why I am thinking of this right now, but something from my childhood needs to be rectified. When I was a child in elementary school my teacher (and I can't remember what grade I was in) asked the class to think of interesting questions about nature or space or weather, etc. to ask that would encourage the class to research the question and find the answer. Stuff like, "Why is the sky blue?" or "Why does toilet water drain in a clockwise direction?" Questions that you have always wondered but never quite knew how to answer.

So, I started thinking really hard. And I came up with what I thought was a pretty decent question. When it came to my turn I asked, "Where does dust come from?" Well, you would have thought I asked the dumbest question in the history of time. My teacher, in fact, told me that was a dumb question because everyone knows that dust comes from dirt swirled up from the wind. With that she moved on to the next question which, of course, was "Why is the sky blue?"

Anyway, I'm here to tell you that was not a dumb question and that my teacher answered the question wrong. Dust is way more interesting than that. Sure, the bulk of dust outside comes from dirt, but "house dust" actually is a bit more disgusting. According to Wikipedia.org, "house dust" comes mostly from sloughed skin cells. Skin cells! That is interesting!

So there, Mrs. Eilers. Your arrogance prohibited you from answering my question in a respectful and accurate manner. And although I wish I could go back in time and express this all to you in person, writing this out today has actually made me feel better. I suppose this also proves that there are no stupid questions and that one shouldn't think one knows everything. That is the lesson for the day. Let's all humble ourselves and practice a little more humility.

Posted by snackeru at September 6, 2005 9:14 AM | Life | Stadiums

Small world:

a) I had a Mrs. Eilers in fourth grade. She was a substitute, but I had her for most of the year because our regular teacher had cancer.

b) I attended Augustana College from 1996-2000. I happened on one of your old posts mentioning you had worked there. Since I'm not a rah-rah person, I'll disregard your ripping of the school. :)

Posted by: bjhess at September 6, 2005 10:12 AM

If Representative Kahn thinks there won't be a special stadium session, then that almost guarantees that there will be one. Representative Kahn is wrong so often she could get a job at FEMA in coordinating disaster preparation.

Posted by: freealonzo at September 6, 2005 10:25 AM

bjhess! Thanks for the comment. You went to Augustana? It looks like you arrived the year after I left. And if I recall, I only ripped on the cleanliness of Augie's bathrooms. The school itself is pretty top notch. Mr professors (history and gov't) were all excellent. What did you major in?

And freealonzo, that is hilarious. Yes, I scoffed when I read that quote from Kahn, but I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt. Your reasoning that a special session will almost surely be called now is inspiring. I can't wait!

Posted by: Shane at September 6, 2005 10:33 AM

Robert Fulgham also wrote a provocative essay on dust. A notable percentage of dust is mictoscopic particles from outerspace!! His conclusion that dust is made up of stars, humans, and soil (all products of God's own hand) and why wouldn't I WANT these marvelous thing in my house, and more of them!! After reading that, I reduced my dusting to about three times a year when my mother in law comes to visit.

Posted by: Cheesehead's wife at September 6, 2005 11:11 AM

Nothing else happen this weekend? Nothing else of note? I seem to recall something on Sunday, can you enlighten everyone?

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at September 6, 2005 2:33 PM

No, nothing of importance. It would be pretty presumptuous of anyone to think anything of significance happened this weekend. That is my opinion anyway...

Posted by: Shane at September 6, 2005 2:37 PM

And Rachel! That is awesome! Dust comes from outer space? My vindication continues!

Posted by: Shane at September 6, 2005 2:38 PM

I was a computer science major. Not much action in the history and government departments. I had one good class with Joseph Dondelinger, the prof from Luxembourg. I've heard Mullin was a good history prof. I had a class with Gary Olson which was pretty boring. I think he's a guy who left teaching for a while.

I suppose you heard about prof Krueger's past murder conviction, too? A lot of people really liked him. I believe he was a business prof.

Anyway, my time was spent between GSC and humanities since I was in the symphonic band as well.

Posted by: bjhess at September 7, 2005 10:21 AM