< Statistics and cats | Main | Today's bit of wisdom >

Well, that was unexpected ...

• Wow. That was a painful game to watch. It was the exact opposite of what I expected. The defense was stellar (at least compared to the last few years) and I must say I enjoyed watching them way more than the offense. And as COD has already said, Chris Kluwe may be our only Pro Bowl representative. Nice punting throughout the game. Let's get to the negatives:

And finally, let's talk about Daunte. Let me start by saying everyone has a bad game once in a while. I also must stress that I wouldn't trade Daunte away for anything or bench him in favor of Brad "Mr. Wobble" Johnson. However, I am of the opinion that Daunte, for some reason, does not have that "special something" (yet) that allows him to win a game like that. You know what I'm talking about. Elway had it. Montana had it. Favre definitely has it. These are the types of QBs that by sheer determination can will their team to a victory. Have we ever, in all the years that Daunte has been playing QB, seen him "will" the Vikings to victory? Have we ever seen him take the ball at the end of the 4th quarter, drive down the field against all odds, and cram it into the end zone to win the game? I honestly can't remember him ever doing this. Am I wrong? Do I just have a poor memory?

We could have won this game. Daunte had a chance and quite frankly he blew it. He needs to find that "special something." He needs to learn how to win when his team is behind.

Posted by snackeru at September 12, 2005 8:45 AM | Vikings

With the Vikes on their own 10-yard line late in the 4th and needing a TD to win the game, I turned to The Commish and simply said, "Give me Elway."

You are right Shane. Daunte has yet to cross into the territory of those great QBs in which "will" and "leadership" can be enough to pull out a victory when one is not playing their best ball.

Posted by: Brian Maas at September 12, 2005 9:45 AM

Nice posting. I agree with you on pretty much all counts. I will say that Duante did get two TD's at the end. One was called back on a horrendous call. The other? Who knows - the horrible production team didn't show a reply of the penalty. They also didn't show a good reply of Hovan's fumble recovery. I swear he was out of bounds when he wrapped his American flag around the ball.

Posted by: bjhess at September 12, 2005 9:48 AM

I turned to my mom and said, "Daunte has never come through in a situation like this. Let's see if he can do it." Of course, he didn't.

And bj, you have a point. The first Wiggins TD being nullified will be the absolute worst call we see all season. What a horrible call. I think the pass interference with Burleson on the last drive was a make up call for that, but it was hardly enough. I can't blame the refs though. Daunte had a chance and he pooched it.

Posted by: Shane at September 12, 2005 9:58 AM

Thank goodness I had some Tom Petty to listen to when I came home to get me out of my foul mood. That, and kick a few cats around the neighborhood and I was happy again.

Posted by: Brian Maas at September 12, 2005 3:17 PM

Yes, listening to Tom Petty might cause me to kick some cats, too...

Posted by: Shane at September 12, 2005 3:20 PM

I agree with Shane on this one

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at September 12, 2005 4:25 PM

Shane: That is a classic comeback. Touche'!

Hey CC: Trade you a WR for a RB!

Posted by: Brian Maas at September 12, 2005 9:04 PM

No go on the RB, how 'bout you take a CB? Got one for you for real cheap.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at September 12, 2005 10:24 PM

CC: Not thanks. But we truly appreciate the DB y'all gave us. That 88-yard INT for a TD looked awfully 'purty'. Especially since that was the only TD the Vikes had all day.

Posted by: Brian Maas at September 12, 2005 11:39 PM