< Today's bit of wisdom | Main | No, I'm not dead... >

Dean adds to the pressure

What is Dean Johnson trying to do to me? I have just sworn off any hopes of a new Twins or Gophers stadium ever being built in this God-forsaken state and then Dean Johnson comes out and says that not only does he favor a special session to deal with stadium issues, he also favors voting on all three stadium proposals during the same special session!

Johnson said the unfinished business from the regular session and optimal conditions for stadium-building provide the right opportunity. "The costs of construction will continue to increase, the economic benefits to the state are more positive than not, and this is the best overall package we're going to see from the Vikings, the Twins and the [University of Minnesota] Gophers," he said. "There are not state taxes, no property taxes, just local sales taxes and maximum contributions from the teams."

I ... will ... not ... get ... my ... hopes ... up. No, no, no, no! I can't take it anymore. I am still getting over the last time my hopes were dashed! So, I will play devil's advocate.

Like I said this morning, all of this is just talk until T-Paw calls a special session, or even comes out and says anything favorable about the chances for a special session. So far, he remains "skeptical." So, there is reason number one I will not get my hopes up.

And here is reason number two: Deano wants the special session to be called two days before Thanksgiving. What? On the positive side this will give our state ample opportunity to do whatever it intends to do concerning Hurricane Katrina victims from the Gulf region. In fact, I am positive this is why Deano wants to wait so long. That is fine. However, by waiting so long stadium opponents will have well over two months to bash us over the head again and again concerning why it is such a bad idea to build stadiums for billionaire owners.

Coincidentally, the third reason I will not get my hopes up also deals with the number 3: as in how the heck do we expect our fine legislators to agree to build three new stadiums when they've never been able to agree on one? Three! I'm laughing as I am typing this. Three! Oh my goodness! That is a funny one!

Talk, talk, talk, talk ... that is all our legislators are good for. They tell us what we want to hear and then do absolutely nothing but collect their paychecks. Bah! I'm sick of it.

(Sublminal message: If T-Paw ever comes out and even says something favorable about the chances of a special session being called ... well let's just say hope will spring eternal!)

Posted by snackeru at September 13, 2005 4:07 PM | Stadiums

first it was labor day, now they're saying, let's get it done by thanksgiving....Then it will be by Christmas...blah blah blah...I'll believe it when they start shoveling dirt instead of this BS

Posted by: kevin at September 13, 2005 4:32 PM

An excellent point Kevin! Delay and more delay, that is all we can truly expect from this group of do-nothings...

Posted by: Shane at September 13, 2005 4:35 PM

In another bit of good stadium news Peter McLaughlin didn't do very good in yesterday's primary and barring something radically changing between now and November, he should still be on the Hennepin County Board. There was concern that if McLaughlin was elected Mayor of Minneapolis, his replacement at the County level would not be a stadium supporter.

It's the little victories that keep us hoping....

Posted by: freealozno at September 14, 2005 9:14 AM

I also liked Best Buy's move, donating 2.5 million which forces T-Paw's hand a bit more. I think it would be great if all of the city's big companies made a token gesture like 1 million each towards the cost of the Twins' Stadium.

Posted by: Vince at September 14, 2005 8:24 PM