< In case you were wondering... | Main | The best weekend ever part one: U2 >

U2: See you at the show...

Greetings and salutations loyal readers! If you need your stadium fix you should check out the Strib's excellent editorial on the subject today. I'm pretty sure I can't say it any better. Also, did you see Shooter's column in which he suggests the Twins front office are less than thrilled with Zygi's recent proposal for a new Vikings stadium? I wonder why that is. Is it because Zygi and the NFL are putting up close to half? Or is it just because the Twins must now compete for the attention of our esteemed legislators? Whatever the case, I am still convinced that Zygi's announcement has only put more pressure on the legislature and the governor to start solving some of these problems. We'll see...

But today's main discussion is not about stadiums. Tomorrow night I will be attending the U2 concert at the Target Center with Curt in Grand Forks and I am quite excited about it. This will be my first U2 concert, and my first rock concert since seeing Pink Floyd at the Metrodome in (I think) 1995. I've tried to see U2 before, but I have never been able to get tickets through the jammed phone lines. This time, however, Curt purchased the tickets in Grand Forks. Needless to say, the line at the local Ticketmaster outlet (at his neighborhood grocery store) was not very long. So, finally, I will get a chance to see the greatest post 70s rock band in existence.

I've been keeping a close look at their set lists to see if I can guess what they will play in Minneapolis. Here is there set list from last night in Chicago:

City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
Electric Co.
The Ocean
Wild Horses
Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Canít Make It On Your Own
Yahweh
Love and Peace or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Miss Sarajevo
Pride in the Name of Love
Where the Streets have no Name
One

Bad
Original of the Species
With or Without You

Fast Cars
All Because of You
40

All of this is, of course, good stuff, but I would take out a few of these songs. "Wild Horses"? Let the Stones sing that one and replace it with "Until the End of the World." "The Ocean"? If you are going to sing something off of Boy stick with "Electric Co.", "I Will Follow" and "An Cat Dubh." Or better yet, replace "The Ocean" with "Gloria" off of October. That would be cool.

And I gotta say, you can sing "Love and Peace or Else" or "Bullet the Blue Sky" but I would prefer it if both weren't sung in the same show. They may have a nice way of working them all together though.

I would love it if "Still Haven't Found" was somehow a part of the set, but they may be sick of singing it by now (it was a part of the European tour). I'm just thrilled to see "Streets" is still a part of the show. That will be wonderful to hear in concert.

Anyway, it looks like, from viewing other recent sets, that they are trying to mix things up, so I bet we'll hear at least one song that hasn't been sung in concert yet this tour. Again, I am hoping it is "Until the End of the World." That would make my night!

Anyway, that's it for now. Don't expect anything tomorrow. Curt and I will be painting the town red starting at 7:00 tomorrow morning when I pick him up from the train station. A complete report will follow.

Posted by snackeru at September 22, 2005 12:47 PM | Stadiums

The storm has hit Anoka county! Tree branches are down and the power is out. We must put the stadium on hold to deal with these issues because we're all incapable of doing 2 things at once. Even though St. Paul didn't lose power at the Capitol, we must stand pat so Mr. Olson and Mr. Nelson can cut the tree branches in their yards. We must observe a time of inaction on their behalf and drop the flag down half-way...Oh, it still is? Well, nevermind.

Shane, I arrived in AZ last week. I live 5 miles from the Glendale Arena (modeled after Xcel) and the new Cardinals Stadium. In recent years, they have built a new ballpark for the D-Backs and the America West Arena for the Suns. They're now talking of building a six flags theme park and Donald Trump is building a huge complex in Tempe. WITH ALL OF THIS PROGRESS, I must say, the kids are not starving, school is in session, the sun is shining, gas prices are no worse here than they were there, the grocery stores haven't run out of food, the toilets all still flush and the local gov't here is still sending help to the hurricane ravaged areas in the Gulf. Man, do these people know how to multi-task!!!! Remember when we did those kinds of things in MN? No? Neither do I.

Posted by: kevin in AZ at September 22, 2005 1:50 PM

"and my first rock concert since seeing Pink Floyd at the Metrodome in (I think) 1995."

Good god. By the time this month is over I'll have seen 5 'rock' concerts.

Posted by: TwinsJunkie at September 22, 2005 4:37 PM

None of them were Pink Floyd, though. I have a feeling if I had seen that concert I wouldn't have much desire to see other shows for a while.

I haven't been to a show for a bit after going to quite a few early in the decade. I am hitting Ben Folds at First Avenue in October, however.

Posted by: bjhess at September 22, 2005 8:14 PM

Tom Petty is opening, right?

Posted by: Brian Maas at September 23, 2005 2:03 PM

What no concert review??

Posted by: freealonzo at September 25, 2005 9:18 PM

Tomorrow. I promise.

Posted by: Shane at September 25, 2005 10:40 PM