< No direction home | Main | What else is new? >

Links of the day

That's all I got for now...

Posted by snackeru at September 29, 2005 8:05 AM | Links of the day

Is Rock-Paper-Scissors now added to the Backyard Border Battle?

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at September 29, 2005 4:51 PM

OK let's take a good look at the challenged list (which I assume is PC for banned books). Howard Stern's "Private Parts" and "sex" by Madonna SHOULD be used for firewood. Can we all agree on that?

Posted by: Cheesehead's wife at October 1, 2005 1:17 PM

A study that "suggests a correlation" (which is all this "study" admits to doing) is not science. It is cherry-picking at random variables to raise "troubling" questions about something that will raise hackles and get attention from people with agendas. Correlation does not imply causation. One might as well publish an article suggesting a "troubling" relationship between countries with high rates of ice-cream eating and high rates of crime. That cheese-eating countries fail to do well in wars. That countries with guns have more traffic accidents.

Rather than U.S. religiosity driving high crime-rates, it is far more likely that European unitary, cradle-to-grave welfare states with strong state-operated communications mechanisms tend to depress both religiosity and high crime rates.

But who would link to an article pointing that out?

Posted by: ss at October 5, 2005 1:44 AM

SS, don't assume because I link to this article I agree with it. I don't. I think it is a weak correlation at best.

The "Links of the Day" include web sites that people are talking about on the blogosphere at that given time. This article was being discussed heavily so I provided a link to it.

It obviously got you thinking and that is good. My "trouble" with this article comes from the fact that people were so willing to agree with it.

But more importantly, how can we as Christians change this perception? I've written about this before, but it all comes down to "Love your neighbor" for me. There is a feeling in the world that we are failing the least among us. What can we do to change this perception?

So, I must admit that I don't quite understand the anger (?) that underlies your comment. But I am glad that you chose to send it to me. It is a thought provoking article and worthy of discussion.

Posted by: Shane at October 5, 2005 11:00 AM