< What else is new? | Main | Pawlenty speaks >

Run Molly, Run!

I know there has been a lot of stadium news recently. I'll tackle that later on today. But for right now I've got to tell you about my day yesterday, and how proud I am of my wife. My wife ran in the Twin Cities Marathon 10 Mile race yesterday, and my family and I spent the morning cheering her on.

TC10-1
3 miles in and still smiling. Run Molly, run!!!

My wife has been training for this moment for a few months now, and to see her actually accomplish her goals and have fun doing it ... well, it was very emotional and I don't mind saying my eyes got a little misty.

My kids and I cheered her on at the three mile point, and then we got in the car and drove to the finish line. The finish line was at the bottom of the hill from the Cathedral to the Capitol.

TC10-2
You did it Molly! You ran 10 miles! Whooo!!!

Seeing all those people running and knowing that all of them had a story of perseverance, or of overcoming some kind of hardship ... that was awesome to think about. My wife said that half way through the race they told the people around them that my wife's running mate, Rachel (the wife of the infamous Cheesehead Craig), had lost quite a bit of weight in her efforts to run the race. Suddenly a bunch of women around them started yelling out how much weight they lost, "I lost 60 pounds!" And, "I lost 115 pounds!" Everyone was cheering each other on.

That is something special. To be a part of that kind of community and support each other while doing something as mundane as running ... that is awesome to think about. Again, there were so many stories! Elderly people running, people limping and grimacing the whole way, people weaving in and out of traffic, patting everyone around them on the back as they passed by. Wow. I was really proud of the Twin Cities yesterday.

But most of all I was proud of my wife. She has been running around our neighborhood for months, training for this moment. She has also been dragging me out to ride my bike along side her (sometimes less than happily). Well, she did great. She gave it everything she had and I couldn't be happier for her. To accomplish what she accomplished yesterday is just fantastic. I mean, three kids and a lazy husband and she can still run 10 freaking miles! Get on with your bad self!

TC10-3
Rachel and Molly engorging themselves on ice cream

So, after the race Craig and I took our wives to Cold Stone Creamery. I joked with my wife that I was going to order an ice cream IV for her. It was a fitting reward for months of hard work and sacrifice and they deserved every last spoonful.

Now the pressure is on Craig and I. Can we accomplish the same feat? My wife has provided me with the inspiration. It would be nice if we could run it together next year.

You are awesome Molly! I love you!

Posted by snackeru at October 3, 2005 8:49 AM | Life

Good Job, Molly!

Posted by: SBG at October 3, 2005 9:16 AM

That's my wife on the left in the last picture. She's hot, I know...

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at October 3, 2005 10:15 AM

Oh yeah, I'm hot!!! Even the ice cream didn't taste as good as the finish line felt. Finishing was it's own reward. I almost quit at about mile nine and I was behind Molly a few yards and I called out to her and she looked back and said "get up here, Rachel you're not quitting!!" So we finished together and I was absolutely SOBBING the last half mile out of sheer amazement that I had done it. It's the most amazing thing I've ever done with my body short of giving birth. What impressed me most was the community of runners, I've always perceived being looked down on by athletes and I think most athletes just want everyone else to be fit, to be athletic, too. I wish I'd been running or something athletic in high school, but it's not too late. I'm a 33 yr old runner!! And I'm hot!!

Posted by: Cheesehead's wife at October 3, 2005 10:21 AM

Congratulations Molly and Rachel. You have very much to be proud of. Way to go!!

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at October 3, 2005 11:46 AM

Congrats, Rachel, too!

Posted by: SBG at October 3, 2005 3:47 PM

It was amazing! My favorite story was this guy who was limping next to Rachel and I. I thought he was hurt. Nope! He was partially paralized on the left side of his body!! The clunking sound was just his left foot being dragged along. He ran well and was just a little ways behind us. What people do with their bodies is absolutely amazing and I was proud to be apart of it all. Thanks for your support Shane! I couldn't have done it without you. Keep taking the candy away from me! And thanks Rachel for keeping me going during training-- With work, kids and sometimes a bad attitude it really helped to have your encouragement! And my brother Tim who showed up at 4 different places along the course yesterday. It was almost comical to see you around every bend. Thanks!

Posted by: Molly at October 3, 2005 4:39 PM

i luv it

Posted by: molly at May 16, 2006 8:15 AM