< Optimism increases | Main | Not happy >

Long lost brothers?

GollumNick
His preciousRingPennies
His hairThinningThinning
Tortured byOrcsRich people making money
Will only be happy whenHe gets the Ring thereby assuring that Middle Earth will one day be ruled by Sauron.He waves goodbye to the Twins thereby assuring that one day we will spend 10 times more to get another team and build a stadium.
Talks to himself?YesProbably
Dwells inThe wretched bowels of the Misty MountainsThe wretched bowels of the Star Tribune
In order to achieve his goalsBit off a finger to get his precious ringWould chop off his nose to spite his face if it meant a couple more screeds against billionaire owners
Deserves to be shunned by society and cast into the wilderness only to survive by eating raw fish?YesYes

So, there you have it. If you can help me think of any other similarities by all means add your own.

Posted by snackeru at October 6, 2005 12:44 PM | Stuff I wonder about

Well, young Frodo you will now need to watch your back. You need Cheesehead to step up and be Samwise Gamgee and be on the lookout for "Gollum"!

Posted by: Brian Maas at October 6, 2005 1:59 PM

Ummm, you're Samwise, Brian. I'm Aragorn.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at October 6, 2005 2:10 PM

Gollum: Dwelled in the wretched bowels of the Misty Mountains.

Coleman: Dwells in the wretched bowels of the Star Tribune

Gollum: Bit off a finger to get his precious ring.

Coleman: Would chop off his nose to spite his face if it meant a couple more screeds against billionaire owners.

P.S. Can I be Tom Bombadil? Living with Goldberry would be hot.

Posted by: freealonzo at October 6, 2005 2:36 PM

Nah, I think you're more of an evil wraith but I don't hold that against you CC ;). I suppose you could pass for the gay elf, though. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Posted by: Brian Maas at October 6, 2005 2:36 PM

I guess I'm Frodo. It is a tough job, but I accept the challenge. All I want to know is who is Arwen?

I've added your additions, freealonzo. Of course, they are perfect!

And Brian, are you calling Legolas "gay"? Not that there is anything wrong with that...

Posted by: Shane at October 6, 2005 3:24 PM

Perhaps, Frodo, you should dig further into Nick's past: did he murder his brother in cold blood while they were out fishing?

I should also mention that good ol'Nick is not a favorite up here at UND, either. He has written a couple of recent columns about how backward and racist we are for not changing the Sioux nickname. Of course, we just think that he's a "city slicker" anyway, and pay him no heed.

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at October 6, 2005 3:33 PM

Well, since I'm Aragorn, Arwen would have to be Rachel.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at October 6, 2005 3:45 PM

Sorry, but you've been linked at a blog that would tend to be anti-stadium. I must confess, I e-mailed your post to my friend, Mike, who forwarded it to Fraters. If there's one thing Minnesota's right-wing/libertarian elite bloggers and the pro-stadium crowd (and probably everyone else) can agree on, it's the stupidity of Nick Coleman.

Watch out - you'll probably be linked at Craig Westover's blog next. He's had multiple wars with Gollum in print and over the air.

Posted by: bjhess at October 7, 2005 9:59 AM

Stadium? Enh. We'll sort it out.

The fact is, unity against Nick Coleman is what REALLY needs to unite Minnesotans.

Hey - is that the Brian Maas from Jamestown? JHS'79?

Just checking...

Posted by: mitch at October 11, 2005 2:32 PM

Sorry, boys. The state would do better to unite against NORM Coleman, our eartwhile senatorial lap-dog.

As for Gollum, I think he and GDumbya were separated at birth. Gollum was the smarter sibling -- he sought a ring that actually existed. GDumbya started a dirty little war over WMD that are yet to be found!

Posted by: Tom at October 12, 2005 10:35 PM

hey thats crazy! do you know austin butler

Posted by: whitney pearson at October 13, 2005 8:28 PM