< I'm tired | Main | Tide you over >

Clarification

• First and foremost congratulations to the University of Minnesota football team for reclaiming the Little Brown Jug this Saturday. What a great game. If you missed it, you missed out on something special. Bring on the Badgers!

• I need to clarify that I am not anti-Gopher stadium. I'm not against any stadium. I think a new Gopher stadium will be great, and I am going to have a blast watching it being built. However, it perplexes me to no end that we are bending over backwards to build a stadium for the only team that cannot leave our state. You will never see a University of Minnesota home game live from Los Angeles.

So, again, I love the idea of a new Gopher stadium. I love the idea of bringing the tradition of Gopher football back to campus, and the stadium designs I have seen are absolutely beautiful. But I have always given the Twins priority.

• Finally, I need to clarify that I am not against a stadium being built in St. Paul. I would love a stadium in St. Paul. But T-Paw's recent comments concerning building a new Twins ballpark in the capital city are so transparent to me I am almost speechless. Almost.

From my standpoint, T-Paw is only bringing St. Paul back into the picture because Minneapolis will soon be out of the picture. Mike Opat has made it clear that if the Hennepin County plan is not approved they will be taking it off the table. T-Paw knows this. So, in order to keep the Twins placated he is now suggesting St. Paul again as a possible new home. Then, when he screws over that plan I suppose he will then suggest Minneapolis again.

As Sid said today, T-Paw doesn't care if the Twins move. He only wants to do enough so that it looks like the state is interested in keeping the Twins. When the Twins are gone, I am going to hold him personally responsible.

Posted by snackeru at October 10, 2005 8:49 AM | Stadiums

The stadium issue is as hot button a political item in this state as any, these past 3 years.
However, bear in mind that Captain Jack Sparrow Ventura stated he wasn't going to endorse any new stadiums either.
If T-Paw is being held personally responsible, be sure that Jack..I mean Jessie is added to that list.
I'm thinking that the public; outstate and metro area, want it both ways.
One cannot have-in today's world-a stadium or arena built without some way to finance it. Sure the owners could fork over their own money, but why would they? Pohlad and Wilf don't have 45,000+ friends (unless you count Sid's "personal friends", which would bring you more than enough) to sit in the seats. I hate that Minneapolis residents can't see how good of a deal the referedum is. If they willingly spend thousands of dollars a month in Association fees for their condos, why not an extra $150 for every $20,000 spent in town? That's something even us "blue collar" guys could afford. Hell, that's my bundled cable, phone and internet fees...Easy money.

Posted by: Eric at October 10, 2005 11:02 AM

Congrats to the Gophers for getting back the Jug! It was a long time coming, but they got it. This Saturday should be real interesting for the Axe.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at October 10, 2005 11:19 AM

Sid actually had a cogent arguement in today's Strib. If St. Paul is seriously being considered for a ballpark it would be a heck of lot more expensive due to infrastructure issues. And it's usually infrastructure that the state or local governments pay for with stadiums since infrastructure is in the "public" realm.

Also since Ramsey County is much less of an economic engine than Hennepin County, it would take a whole lot more that a 0015 percent sales tax to pay for a ballpark.

So basically T-Paw is proposing a ballpark solution that will cost the state and taxpayers a whole lot more $$$$

Now that's what I call leadership.

Posted by: freealonzo at October 10, 2005 11:28 AM

Eric, thanks for the comment. I agree that some of the blame can be pinned on Captain Weird Beard. However, the difference between him and Pawlenty is 1) Jesse made it clear that he was anti-stadium. T-Paw plays both sides and 2) more importantly T-Paw has a plan in front of him that will actually work. The Peter Sausen plan of the Ventura era was just a load of crap. It would have never worked. What makes me so angry then is that this is the best deal we have seen, and T-Paw is willing to wave it bye-bye. Wow. As freealonzo said above "that's what I call leadership."

Posted by: Shane at October 10, 2005 1:07 PM

I want to cry. It's over, the dream is over. My only consolation is that I doubt contraction will occur this year since baseball is having a good year and outside of LV or maybe latin america, I really can't see any cities big enough to sustain a 81 game season. Maybe Indy maybe Columbus? Maybe Brooklyn? Just guesses I suppose. But with the Marlins and Devil Rays also likely moving candidates and perhaps a theoretical place for MLB to create another AL West team, I still think the Twins have a 5 year window to work with to get a stadium. Maybe we can persuade Arne to run in that time.

Posted by: Vince at October 10, 2005 5:26 PM

I agree with Vince. There really isn't a more viable location for baseball than the Twin Cities. Thus, there will have to be one heck of a deal to move them.

Second, until Pohlad makes the appearance of changing his attitude, it will never get done. He doesn't actually have to change his attitude, he just has to pretend.

From the outside, it appears that Pohlad expects the state to do him this huge favor. In return, we get to keep the Twins (for a while.) This is not enough. This is not enough for Nick Coleman and a lot of people with his point of view.

He needs to appear to want to work together with state officials to work something out. Something more along the lines of what Wilf's doing. He should have never said he will not spend any money on a Twin's stadium. Because the only question that can result is "Why not?" He is just using black mail and people won't stand for it. THAT is the reason for no stadium. T'Paw and The Body had some involvement in fighting stadiums, but if a referendum will fail then some other thing must be done. Something must be done to garner support, and Pohlad has done nothing, not one thing to try to gain support. No stadium should lie strickly on Pohlad's shoulders.

Posted by: DouglasG at October 11, 2005 2:23 PM