< Ugh. | Main | Thank you Wisconsin >

Of logos and such ...

Logos are a big deal. They take years to make, years to market, and years to brand a particular product. Some logos are very good, and some leave me scratching my head. Some logos convey strength and quality, while others say, "Go ahead and walk all over me. I'm weak!" Let's take a look at a couple that I don't mind too much:

uofmlogo.gif

The U of M logo is strong and timeless. This is a logo that will probably never be changed. It isn't trying to be cute, and it isn't trying to be overbearing. It just "is."

greenbaylogo.gif

And just so you know I'm not trying to pick on all things Wisconsin, I also like the Green Bay Packers logo. It is another example of a timeless logo. However, what I would like to know is what came first, the Packers "G" or the Georgia Bulldogs "G"?? Hmmmm ... it is a mystery...

motionw.gif

And here we have the point of this whole post. The crappy "Motion W" of the University of Wisconsin. Not timeless. In fact, the only word that comes to mind for it is "effeminate." It says, "Hey look at me! I'm moving! Do you want to come to my tea party?" Really, how does the University of Wisconsin justify such a pansy looking thing? The only thing I can think of that would top off the "Motion W" is this:

motionwpony.gif

My Little Pony says, "Hello Motion W! You are so pretty and curvy! Can you stop for a while and braid my hair?"

That's what I think anyway. The University of Wisconsin needs a stronger logo. Until then I can't help but think they are all just a bunch of pansies.

Go Gophers!

Posted by snackeru at October 14, 2005 4:05 PM | Sports

First off, the Packers logo was introduced in 1961, and Georgia adopted it as it's own logo in 1964 by coach Vince Dooley as he was impressed with the Packers logo and thier football dominance at the time.

Secondly, jealousy over the Badgers sporting excellence is no reason to go after the logo. The Goophs logo if anything looks lame. To me it looks like a road sign showing there are girl scout tenting campsites ahead.

Thirdly, I noticed the Viking logo was not praised, could it be that itis a man with braids in his hair? Per your logic of the Wisconsin logo, that would make the Vikings a bunch of pansies then.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at October 14, 2005 4:57 PM

Brilliant use of My Little Pony! You get "street cred" for that one!

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at October 14, 2005 5:31 PM

What I don't get is why wisconsin isn't consistent with their logo. Their "logo" on their marching bands looks nothing like their "W", but rather looks like an Indiana knock off.

At least the gophers use the Same "M" everywhere...good or bad...

Posted by: Castle Danger Man at October 15, 2005 4:40 PM

The incorporation of My Little Pony into the Wisconsin logo is pretty brilliant. That would look great on a t-shirt.

To me, the Minnesota logo says "Generic College." It's neither good nor bad, but probably stands out nicely on a cheerleader's sweater.

Btw, the Logoserver site claims that UW-Eau Claire once had planned to change its nickname from the Woodchucks to the Bulldogs, but when the AD filled out the official paperwork, he was drunk and wrote down "Blugolds" instead. That can't be true, can it?

Posted by: frightwig at October 16, 2005 10:40 AM

Frightwig, let's face it, just about anything would stand out nicely on a cheerleader's sweater :o)

Posted by: Freealonzo at October 18, 2005 2:40 PM