< Relief | Main | Greatest Hits >

Little known Einstein equation

einstein.jpg

BERLIN -- A little understood Einstein equation has finally been explained as proof that besides being a genius Einstein could also predict the future.

"We've been scratching our heads over this for over 70 years," says Helmut Konigkaiser, curator of the Einstein Museum of Chalkboard Equations. "Now we understand it as a very prescient prediction of the ineptitude of the Minnesota state government in the year 2005."

Originally written by Einstein while sleep walking, the equation has been shown to be proof positive that the current government of Minnesota is filled with morons to the 36th power. How Einstein came up with the number 36 will never be known, but it is obvious that he intended to show that the moronic level of the Minnesota state government is very, very high.

"While the 'moronic level' of anything is difficult to measure," added Mr. Konigkaiser, "I think it is safe to assume anything above being 'squared' or 'cubed' is truly a hopeless situtation."

Indeed, the people of Minnesota are, in fact, being governed by a group of people that have difficulty mustering the mental fortitude to tie their own shoes or even cross the street. Unfortunately for them, while Einstein figured out a way to measure the 'moronic level' he did not suggest a way for Minnesotans to get themselves out of this mess.

"I've got a solution," says Cheesehead Craig, long time hater of all things Minnesota and fan of all things Wisconsin. "There is always room for you all on the Wisconsin bandwagon. Come to the dark side and finally be happy."

It would appear that Minnesota sports fans are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Posted by snackeru at October 24, 2005 4:26 PM | Stadiums

"Unfortunately for them, while Einstein figured out a way to measure the 'moronic level' he did not suggest a way for Minnesotans to get themselves out of this mess."

Even a genius has his limitations.

Posted by: SBG at October 24, 2005 4:35 PM

I can only feel for the people of MN so much. Yes, they are governed by a bunch of morons, however, they've continued to elect and re-elect the same morons to the state legislature. I would have to say that there are many morons in the state of MN both inside and outside the Capitol.

Posted by: kevin in az at October 24, 2005 6:17 PM

I live in central South Dakota, so I don't particularly keep up on Minnesota politics. But it seems to me that, after all these years of talking about it, if a majority of Minnesotans really wanted a new stadium for the Twins, they would have one by now. I wonder if the problem isn't less the politicians and more the people.

Having said that, I recently ran across a saying that you might find pertinent. "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Posted by: Jeff at October 25, 2005 11:12 AM

Jeff, it is this kind of thinking that makes it so difficult to build anything in this state. If we had listened to the "people" we would have never built the Metrodome, the Xcel Energy Center, the Mall of America, etc., etc. The "people" are sheep who don't like to spend money on anything. Sometimes it takes a group of leaders that can see the forest through the trees and do the right thing for the state.

If we don't build a stadium, if the Twins finally get fed up and leave, what happens then? The countdown begins until we build a new stadium and get a new team, both for 10 times as much. Why do we want to put ourselves through this?

But you and Kevin are both right. The people and the politicians in this state have made a pretty big mess of things. I'm beginning to wish the Twins would just put us all out of our misery so the countdown can finally begin for our new team and ballpark.

Posted by: Shane at October 25, 2005 11:40 AM

Shane, you hit the nail buddy....But what is so frustrating is that we just visited this scenario with the North Stars and Wild. Why do Minnesotans forget so quickly??? All it took was for the Cleveland Browns to pack up and move to Baltimore. Not only did that wake up Cleveland, but also Detroit, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh in the same region. In Minnesota, it already happened to them not long ago and still there's apathy. Just think how much money the state would have saved if they had just built the damn thing in 1997 with Arne's dime tax on smokes. Would probably already be paid for too.

I lived in Minnesota for 30 years and was always amazed at first at how I was surrounded by such innovative thinkers. For the past 10 years I was amazed at how many mornons I was surrounded by. What on earth happened to MN????

Posted by: kevin in az at October 25, 2005 12:22 PM

Did Kevin just say he was surrounded by Mormons here? Didn't know they were so big in MN.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at October 25, 2005 1:25 PM

LOL....typo there CC....Actually I'm surrounded by mormons here in AZ

Posted by: kevin in az at October 25, 2005 2:11 PM

Shane, I thought this comment of yours was particularly interesting:

"If we had listened to the "people" we would have never built the Metrodome, the Xcel Energy Center, the Mall of America, etc., etc. The "people" are sheep who don't like to spend money on anything."

So... the people didn't want to build the Metrodome, the same Metrodome you now advocate tearing down and building THREE new publicly financed stadiums instead? It sounds like the "people" may have been on to something: that there really wasn't anything fundamentally wrong with the Met. Perhaps mismanagement (Griffith/Twins), but trying to revitalize downtown Minneapolis with a dome wasn't on the public's radar. And the Xcel? Maybe the people didn't understand why the "leaders" blew up the perfectly good Met Center just a few years earlier, just so we could turn around and spend $120 million on a new arena and hand it over to a pro team.

I think your opinions have a lot more in common with the "people" of earlier times than you think. Perhaps it's the mistakes of the "leaders" and the teams themselves that have put us in this quandry.

Posted by: spycake at October 25, 2005 3:06 PM

Thanks for the comment spycake. The Metrodome was a great public investment. It cost $60-$65 million to build and was paid off in what ... 15 years? It is used almost every day of the week and has brought in millions upon millions of dollars to the area, easily paying for itself many times over.

And yet people fought to have it built. I don't think anyone would ever say that building the Metrodome was a bad thing. No one would ever decide to go back and in time and NOT build the Metrodome. It has been proven to have been a good investment.

That is my point. Just like the Metrodome, just like the X, after it is built and people see how wonderful it is they will quickly forget about the tax dollars used to build the new Twins stadium.

And while I am not against building THREE new stadiums, I am more in favor of building a Twins stadium than anything else. The Metrodome is a football stadium. And truth be told I would love to see it renovated for the Vikings. If the Vikings ever came out and said, "You know, if we renovated the Metrodome we could easily survive," well I would be thrilled.

I love this quote from your comment:

"Maybe the people didn't understand why the 'leaders' blew up the perfectly good Met Center just a few years earlier, just so we could turn around and spend $120 million on a new arena and hand it over to a pro team."

The people will have similar thoughts when our "leaders" decide to let the Twins go only to realize their mistake and try to lure a team back to the area 10 years later. Oh yeah, and build a new stadium.

So, in conclusion, the Dome has been great for the Vikings and I would love to see them continue to use it. It has also been great for the area in general and it continues to be used on almost a daily basis. But it is not an adequate baseball stadium. We can either choose to build one or wave the Twins goodbye. It seems we are choosing the latter. Maybe it will work out better that way. Who knows?

I think we can both agree that it would be better if professional sports built their own stadiums. I agree with that whole heartedly. It is a shame that we have to even think about this crap. Unfortunately that is the reality.

Enough rambling. I'm not even sure I cleared up anything!

Posted by: Shane at October 25, 2005 3:30 PM

And to the comment that people were on to something in thinking there was nothing wrong with Met Stadium....The place was a dump and falling apart. I remember my box seats the railings were so rusted that bars were coming off. Chairs were falling apart and let's face it, Metropolitan Stadium was as awful a football stadium as the Metrodome is a baseball park. The sightlines at the Met were atrocious for football if you were sitting in the main grandstand anywhere in the lower half of the first level - hence the reason for both teams on the opposite sideline. Packer fans in Milauwkee will attest the same thing at County Stadium. The Met was dying in the late 70's and by 1981 it looked like it had cancer.

Posted by: kevin in az at October 25, 2005 4:46 PM

Fair enough that the Metrodome has been a good investment -- but how necessary could it be if it needs to be replaced after 20 years? Perhaps it was (and is) necessary for pro football, but Memorial Stadium and a properly managed Met Stadium (darn you Griffith!) could have remained. And the argument that you mainly support the Twins stadium is thin -- if a 75% public Twins stadium is built, the Vikings and the NFL will DEMAND a new publicly-funded stadium. Sadly, they're already doing that, and they've rejected renovation plans for the Dome. And the Gophers can't remain as the sole tenant there, which is a big part of their stadium argument...

As much as I would love to see outdoor ML baseball return to Minnesota, I'm ashamed that we have to spend $350 million-plus to make it happen. That obscene amount of money isn't being spent on a community investment, a monument or memorial dedicating to bringing people together to celebrate -- it's going directly into multiple levels of luxury suites and club seats and wide concourses in which the team can sell us things we don't need. Sadly, if a new stadium is built, I will probably be unable to afford going -- even if they keep the $6 GA ticket price from the Dome, the seats will probably be the worst fourth-deck nose-bleed seats ever. Now, if the new stadium doesn't even benefit me, a die-hard Twins fan, how is it going to benefit anybody but the people who directly profit from it financially?

Truth be told, I suppose I am dismayed with this aspect of pro sports overall these days. And to say "that's just the way the stadium game is played" and go along seems like defeat, like waving the white flag to another huge business entity pushing the public around. Personally, I might rather just watch a lower level of competition at a cheaper and friendlier ballpark.

Posted by: spycake at October 25, 2005 7:23 PM

I know how you feel spycake...The system of professional sports is downright obscene. However they can hold markets such as the Twin Cities hostage for their assets as every other major metro area in the country has bowed down to them. 30 cents on every $100 dollars to me is not a lot of money. Perhaps it is to you and if you feel that extra 30 cents breaks your budget, then by all means you're justified in your position.

It's an easy question to answer, Do we as Minnesotans want to stay a major league city? If we do, we'll have to pay for it. If we don't want to pay, then we must accept our fate of being just another boring cold midwestern city with no reason to attract visitors or conventions.

I did try the other baseball options such as the Saints and found that I just couldn't stand watching such an awful level of baseball. I had seen better baseball at Legion League games. At Midway Stadium the actual baseball on the field seemed like a sideshow to all of the other gimmicks which went on in the stands - not a true baseball experience.

Posted by: kevin in az at October 26, 2005 12:39 PM

"30 cents on every $100 dollars to me is not a lot of money. Perhaps it is to you and if you feel that extra 30 cents breaks your budget, then by all means you're justified in your position."

It's not about the meager sales tax for me -- it's about, What the heck is this thing we're building? How much am I going to have to pay in the new park compared to what I pay at the Dome? Will the location of my seat be similar to my right-field perch above the baggie? Will I beam with civic pride when I offer to take an out-of-town guest to a ballgame at Best Buy Stadium or whatever it's called, as compared to the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome?

As I've said before: I don't want to build a stadium just to keep the Twins and appease major league sports. If the public is going to build a stadium and own it, I want to be able to use it for a reasonable price, be able to enjoy my time there, and have some community pride in the place, the name, and what it stands for.

Posted by: spycake at October 26, 2005 9:50 PM