< Links of the day | Main | Little known Einstein equation >

Relief

Winning is fun, isn't it? And it is amazing how much relief and excitement I can get out of a win from a now 2-4 team. But that is exactly what I feel: relief and excitement.

For a couple of weeks my standard joke has been, "The Vikings of the past were known for getting on their boats and raping and pillaging. It is a shame they are still known for that."

But now, redemption. The Vikings played with heart. They never gave up. They actually provided me with a teaching moment for my kids! "See kids?" I said, "The Vikings never gave up. Keep working hard, keep believing in yourself, and good things will happen." It sure beats the lesson, "Don't have sex in public." Although that is a good lesson too, I suppose.

Cheesehead Craig came over for the game as is customary when the Pack visit the Twin Cities. For most of the game it was "The Battle of the Pessimists" as both CC and I tried to convince each other that ours was the worse team. I had an early edge given that the Pack roared out to a 17-0 lead, but the tide quickly turned to CC's favor when the Vikings took the lead 20-17. "The Pack suck at defense," CC said, "The Vikings have this game won."

I responded, "Are you kidding? Does Brett Favre still play for the Packers? They'll come back to win this, no doubt about it."

Just then the announcers gave the statistic that Favre has 38 fourth quarter comebacks to his credit. My pessimism was justified. I added, "Daunte has never won a game like this. You just wait, he'll screw it up."

Then the miraculous happened. The Vikings won. Daunte got the Vikes down to the 38 yard line and Edinger kicked a 56 yard field goal. Are you kidding me?

I jumped up and down. I hooted and hollered. My kids came running into the room and we all hugged and high fived each other. CC sat dejectedly on the couch and watched the celebration.

I turned to him and said, "At least you've got the Axe." CC responded, "The Pack and the Badgers cannot win on the same weekend this season." This is an interesting point that CC discusses on the Oracle ...

Anyway, I'm happy today. I feel good about being a Vikings fan today. The season has hope. Not much, mind you, but I'll worry about that next week. For now, for this week, I'm going to be happy, and that is not a typical feeling for a Vikings fan. This week, though, all is right in Viking land.

Posted by snackeru at October 24, 2005 8:44 AM | Vikings

Shane was a very good host and actually stopped his kids from taunting me too much after the win. It was good to Shane so happy after the last 2 weeks he had to go through.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at October 24, 2005 11:41 AM

The Vikings played one good half against a terrible Packers team, and managed to eke out a win at home on a last-second, 56-yard field goal. Whoopee. I'm a Vikings fan, but it's going to take more than that to make me happy. When they play a whole game against a good, or at least an average, team, then I might take notice. Until then, they still stink. Just not quite as bad as Green Bay.

Posted by: Jeff at October 24, 2005 12:31 PM

Jeff, I'm not expecting much out of this team this year. So, I'll take what I can get and focus on the positive. A win is a win. And a win against the Packers, no matter how bad they are, is even better.

But I can understand where you are coming from.

Posted by: Shane at October 24, 2005 1:46 PM

"They actually provided me with a teaching moment for my kids! 'See kids?' I said, 'The Vikings never gave up. Keep working hard, keep believing in yourself, and good things will happen.'"

Dang, Shane, good thing you're not a Saints fan, then. I keep expecting to see something in the Onion:

"Saints Provide Inspirational Lesson For Fans"

...

Longtime Saints fan LaTroy Bessemer summed up the lesson he learned from his favorite team this way. "When a disaster is fresh and folks are pulling for you, it's easy to see the light at the end of the tunnel. But as the spotlight fades and things don't improve, the best course of action is to bitch, complain, and generally make an ass of yourself until you get the opportunity to climb back up onto your feet by screwing somebody over.

"Now if you'll excuse me," he added, "I've gotta go see if there are any undamaged shotgun shells left at the abandoned Wal-Mart up the road."

--
David Wintheiser

Posted by: David Wintheiser at October 24, 2005 1:49 PM

Any win over the Packers is, by definition, a great thing. For the victory to occur after being down by 17 points at half only makes sweeter. I continue to be amazed at the love affair between the national media and Brett Favre. From ESPN's pre-game to the broadcast of the game, it was a non-stop love fest. His expression as Edinger's field goal sailed through was priceless. While I still doubt that a Super Bowl run is the future, I was pleased by how well the whole team played in the second half. When Culpepper has time to throw, he can be an outstanding quarterback. Too bad our porous offensive line has to go against a stout Carolina defensive line next week. Skol Vikings!!

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at October 24, 2005 3:56 PM

"While I still doubt that a Super Bowl run is the future..."

Just how far into the future are you looking?

Posted by: SBG at October 24, 2005 4:39 PM