< Little known Einstein equation | Main | My boring life? >

Greatest Hits

Hello everyone. Today I'm "phoning it in" as the Twins Geek used to say. Today I'm going to list out some of the "greatest hits" of the Greet Machine, or in other words the most popular posts I have made on this humble blog. And not necessarily because I think they are great or because I think they are popular, but because I can see they are popular based on hit statistics.

People hit this blog through Google probably 70% of the time, meaning Google is my top referer. I've mentioned before that the term "rabbits" is by far the most popular search, but here are some of the other posts that get hit from Google.

That's all I got time for. I'll add more later because I'm sure there are some I forgot.

Posted by snackeru at October 26, 2005 8:00 AM | Lists

In your Marlins stadium post, I found this little nugget:

"So, in conclusion, the Twins need to come up with a rock solid plan, and start thinking about paying for at least half. If they did these things I think we might actually see a new Twins stadium in this state."

By your own criteria the team only met one of these goals. Their current offer of $125 million toward a nearly $500 million stadium is about 25%. So why have you still focused the blame squarely on the government? True, it would be nice for the governor or legislature to at least say "We wish Pohlad would put up some more cash" but I think their refusal to call the special session should give a slight hint to the Twins that their offer isn't quite up to par yet. It's come a long way from their phantom contributions of old, and we'd all like to see this resolved, but I'm still not impressed with any deal where Pohlad's share is paid off within a year or two of opening (naming rights, attendance/revenue boom, etc, not even considering the jump in franchise value), yet the public is on the hook for 30+ years of continuing contributions.

Posted by: spycake at October 26, 2005 11:50 AM

Boy, spycake, you sure do like asking the tough questions! Yes, I do wish Pohlad would have come out with a plan that had the Twins paying for half. I even called Dave St. Peter and asked him about this (given that the Gophers are paying for over half too). Of course, he told me that each stadium effort is unique and blah, blah, blah. It is obvious to me they have no intention of ever offering half.

Here is the kicker, though: Even with the Marlins offering half, their bill still did not pass. The Florida state legislature still turned them down. I now firmly believe the same would happen here.

So, it really doesn't matter how much the Twins agree to contribute. Our state legislature would still find fault with the plan. Like you say, it would be a step in the right direction, but I truly feel our state legislature would be too stupid to act on it.

Yes, the Twins deserve some of the blame (a lot of the blame) for this not being resolved yet. However, the anti-stadium crowd supplies enough finger pointing towards the Twins. The Twins negotiated with Hennepin County (even before the plan came out I wrote to Opat begging him to demand half), and they came up with this plan. I suppport(ed) the plan based on this negotiation and the words of Opat who said this was the best they could come up with.

Obviously it hasn't worked out. It may not matter who to blame now anyway. Like you said below, you may start cheering for lower-level sports from now on. I think we should all get ready to start doing that.

Posted by: Shane at October 26, 2005 12:24 PM

So you honestly believe that no matter what plan the Twins present, the legislature will turn them down? I disagree. The original team proposals, way back in 1997, had similar dollar/percentage configurations to today's plan, but the team contribution was disguised as loans/guaranteed paybacks. It's hardly the extent of proper negotiation strategy to now say "Okay, you got us -- we'll just make the money real now". I think (and you think, apparently) the team could do A LOT more on this front.

If they offered half (which would be DOUBLE their present offer), I honestly think the legislature and the public could finally see some negotiating progress, that it's not just a repackaged version of past Twins/MLB hardball tactics.

Truly, though, I want to see a public commission propose a stadium plan of what we NEED, rather than what the team/league WANTS. And hopefully they could propose a reasonable partnership in financing the thing. Of course, both of these things would likely be refused by the team/league -- I mean, it wouldn't maximize their revenues and minimize their investment anymore, would it? (It appears I'm just as jaded about the pro sports powers-that-be as you are about the legislature)

Posted by: spycake at October 26, 2005 9:44 PM