< Boring vs. Interesting: Days 4-9 | Main | Boring vs. Interesting: Day 12 >

Boring vs. Interesting: Days 10-11

If you are here to read about Reggie Jackson's interest in the Twins and how that affects the stadium issue ... well I don't think it is worth writing about. This is probably the last we'll hear from Reggie as the Twins have made it clear that they are not for sale. So, forget about it.

Today, on this beautiful Saturday morning, I'm going to write yet another entry in my series to figure out if my life is boring vs. interesting. So far the tally is 7 interesting and 2 boring days. You'll note that after some user feedback I have changed one of my days to interesting. Here is a description of days 9 and 10.

Day 10: Den Meeting

On Thursday night I had a Cub Scout Den meeting at my house. As I've said before, I am the Den leader for my younger son's Tiger den. There are 9 boys in the den, so it can get a little crazy. For this Den meeting we worked on family scrap books and I was thrilled to see how excited the boys were to do this activity. They all brought some family pictures and for a good 20 minutes we all cut and paste pictures into little three-ring binders I bought for everyone. And, of course, I had some Star Wars and Spongebob stickers for everyone to spruce up their pages with. The boys were thrilled with that.

I also did a "fancy" demonstration of the importance of teeth brushing which I felt was especially timely given Thursday was just a few days after Halloween. At the beginning of the meeting I put a hard boiled egg into a glass of Pepsi. The boys thought that was hilarious. And I asked, "What do you think is going to happen?" One said the egg would explode, another said that the egg would float, and another said the egg would get dirty. I told them we would have to wait until the end of the meeting to find out.

At the end, I took the egg out and held it up to another hard-bolied egg. It was readily apparent that the egg in Pepsi for an hour was extremely dirty. So, I said, "How can we clean it off?" The boys all thoguht that water would easily clean off the egg so I got a bowl full of water and swished the egg around in it. Nope. Still dirty. So, then I said, "The only way this will get clean is if we brush it." I got out a tootbrush and a tube of toothpaste and I brushed the egg. They all thought that was quite funny. But it really got the point across.

So, I said to them, if you want clean teeth you can't just drink a glass of water, and you certainly can't drink a lot of pop. You've got to brush your teeth. Ha! They thought that was pretty cool. And I gotta say I was surprised with how well it worked. It was one of those activities that 20 years down the road they'll say to themselves, "You know, I don't remember much about being a Tiger scout, but I do remember Shane putting an egg into Pepsi and then brushing it like it was a tooth." That is kind of neat.

Interesting days: 8
Boring days: 2

Day 11: Maxin' and relaxin'

Last night I didn't do much of anything. And that is nice sometimes, just to vegitate a little bit. However, I didn't vegitate in front of a TV. I vegitated with a really good book. I started to read The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Now usually it takes me one or two weeks to read a book, but The Kite Runner was so good, so interesting, I read it all in one night. I was reading it from about 7:00 to 12:30 because I just couldn't put it down. It isn't that action packed, but the characters, the setting, and the story were all fascinating. It is also written in a style where you can tell the author pain-stakingly chose every word for the utmost clarity and it reads almost perfectly. The Kite Runner gave me a new appreciation for Afghanistan and the heartbreak and turmoil that country has gone through, but it also demonstrates the overwhelming guilt we as humans can carry, and in this case how one person overcomes that pain.

The Kite Runner tells the story of Amir and Hassan, two boys living in Kubul. Amir is the son of a rich business man, and Hassan is the son of Amir's father's servant. Amir and Hassan grow up as best friends, but a certain horrible event shatters that friendship and sends Amir on a lifelong quest for redemption. About half way through the book, Amir and his father are forced to flee their home due to the Russian invasion. Most of the story happens in Afghanistan/Pakistan, but a lot of it also happens in America.

If you think this story is only about war and or civil/war you couldn't be further from the truth. This is a story about a wonderful culture and an area of the world I know very little about. It is also about the relationship between a father and a son, the heartbreaking relationship between two friends, and one man's efforts to make things right. "Come," one of the characters says to Amir later in his life, "There is a way to be good again."

Man! I don't mind saying I had tears in my eyes at the end of this one. What a phenomenal book. The one over-arching theme I can take away from this one is the importance of doing the right thing, even if it harms you in the process, and especially if it means taking care of the people around you, the people you love. The Kite Runner is a riveting and haunting story. I receommend it whole heartedly.

So, even though I just read a book, it was one of the best books I have read in a long time:

Interesting days: 9
Boring days: 2

Posted by snackeru at November 5, 2005 10:09 AM | Books | Boring vs. Interesting