< Nostra-COD | Main | Boring vs. Interesting Day 22 >

Boring vs. Interesting Days 16-21

What is happening to me? To much going on and not enough will power to sit down and type out these blog entries, that's what. Enough whining though. Let's get on with the boring vs. interesting rankings!

Day 16: Back to church

Man it feels like I'm at church a lot. Last Wednesday night we went back to church for another episode of Mission 6~7. This month the theme is "Gratitude" or "Letting someone know that you know how much they've helped you out." Good lesson for everyone and something I'm going to try to be better at. Let me start by saying thanks to all of you for reading these meager ramblings! I appreciate a great deal that you (all five of you) find this blog worthy of reading every once in a while.

(Actually I think upwards of 100 people read this blog everyday. This is amazing to me.)

This day was interesting.

Interesting days: 11
Boring days: 5

Day 17: Scout meetings

Thursday night I had a Parent/Leader (PAL) meeting for the Cub Scouts and a Webelos Den meeting. It was a busy night, but honestly nothing really interesting happened. At the PAL meeting we just sat around and talked and I offered to make the cookies for the birthdays at this Thursday's Pack meeting.

After the meeting I went to the library and checked out the newly published fourth book in George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire Series, A Feast for Crows. Man that is a good series. I'm not a big fan of fantasy, but Martin really nails it with these books.

But, again, nothing too interesting:

Interesting days: 11
Boring days: 6

Day 18: My wife left me

On Friday my wife left for a weekend conference and the kids and I were left to fend for ourselves. So, I did what any self respecting husband and father does, I took the kids to McDonalds. Cheesehead Craig and his kids were also there as our wives were at the same conference. The conference, Hearts at Home, is for stay-at-home moms. Honestly, I'm not sure how many things there are to talk about concerning being a stay-at-home mom, but my wife had a wonderful time. Before she left I told her to only attend the "how to please your man more" sessions and stay away from the "how your man is not doing enough for you" sessions. I think my plan worked because when my wife got home she didn't immediately make me sleep on the couch.

All in all, though, Friday was not the most intersting day.

Interesting days: 11
Boring days: 7

Day 19: Minnesota History Center with the Tigers

The Tiger Scout program is set up for a couple of den meetings a month, the Pack meeting, and then an event where you actually go out and do something as a den, like go to a fire station or a bakery or a museum. On Saturday I had scheduled a "Go See It" with my Tiger Den at the Minnesota History Center.

This was a lot of fun. If you haven't been to the Minnesota History Center it is very interesting with a lot of displays about Minnesota history (duh), but it also has a lot of hands on activities for the kids. One of the favorite activities for the kids is the "grain elevator" which is really just a big jungle gym. In the elevator you can climb around and pretend you are a grain of wheat or a piece of corn. We spent a lot of time letting the kids climb around in this contraption.

grainelevator.jpg

I also wanted to go to the Center's exhibit of Pulitzer Prize winning photographs. This exhibit was packed. I have never seen so many people in the Minnesota History Center and these famous photographs were the big reason. Unfortunately I will have to go back to this exhibit at another time for a couple of reasons: 1) some of the photographs are of a graphic nature and possibly could have been upsetting to some of the scouts and 2) I have never received so many unpleasant stares and bad vibes from so many people in all of my life. In fact a couple of people even asked us to leave. I know ... I was amazed.

I knew some of the photographs would be of a disturbing nature, however I had also hoped to take the scouts by some of the other types of photographs and talk about them. For example, there is a great picture of a lighthouse being consumed by waves. It is a really powerful image. However, as we were walking through on more than one occasion people told us how strongly they disapproved of us being there. One woman said to me, "If I knew my Tiger Scout was in here I would be so angry!" I said back to her, as I was looking at the lighthouse picture with my daughter, "All of their parents are here with them. If they want to leave the exhibit they are more than welcome to do so."

Now, I am of two minds about this. On the one hand, do I really want my young kids looking at these images ... of someone being lynched, or the famous picture of a naked Vietnamese girl running down the street after her village had been napalmed? Probably not. However, these images are also excellent teaching tools. What happened in these pictures? How can we prevent these things from happening again? How can we be better people? How can we help people more? These are published images, and probably no worse than some of the things kids see in cartoons. What makes them different, though, is that they are real.

Skilled parents could probably guide his or her child through the exhibit and look at only the pictures they deemed appropriate. Honestly, our Tiger Scouts were quite oblivious to the pictures as they searched for something hands-on to do. However, due to the negative vibes we were getting from the crowd, the subject matter of some of the pictures, and out of respect for the overall somber feeling in the room, we decided to leave.

I'd be interested in what some of the other parents think about this, but I will certainly not be taking my kids back to this particular exhibit. In some ways I think this is a shame, but then again I know they will come across these pictures again sometime in their lives. So, probably not a big deal. But yikes! Some people have very strong opinions about kids seeing Pulitzer Prize winning photos!

mhcscouts.jpg

So, this day was very interesting:

Interesting days: 12
Boring days: 7

Day 20: Church, Viking game, and back to (a) church

On Sunday I woke up early to again get to church and set up the sound system for our Sunday School program, Disciple Zone. No big deal there, thankfully, as things went off without a hitch. Unfortunately though, I didn't get out of church until 12:30 since we only have one car and my wife had some things to take care of after the service.

I cannot express in nearly a forceful enough way how unacceptable it is for me to miss the kickoff for a Vikings game. It just pains me to no end. I know, I better look out for the lightning bolt to come down on my head, but dag-blast it, I like the Vikings! I like watching the Vikings! Can I have 3 hours on a Sunday afternoon where I can watch the Vikings and just enjoy myself? Sheesh! I guess not.

Anyway, the game was awesome, of course. I was as stunned as everyone else at the horrible offense, phenomenal special teams, and vastly improving defense. I got into my house and turned on the TV right before Sharper returned one of his interceptions for a TD. That is a nice way to enter a Vikings game, let me tell you! The rest of the game was a lot of fun to watch, and you all know the outcome. I was happy for Zygi.

After the game I went out again with the Cub Scouts, this time my older son's Webelos Den. If you'll recall, we are visiting some different houses of worship in an effort to see some diversity. A couple of weeks ago we went to a Jewish synagogue. That was fascinating. Well, yesterday we went to St. Mary's Basilica in downtown Minneapolis.

What a neat place. If you've never been there it is truly spectacular. The ceiling, the stain-glass windows, the altar and statues. Wow. One of my favorite parts is this mosaic:

In the Middle Ages the pelican was thought to pierce herself in the breast in order to feed her blood to her young. Depictions of pelicans in churches are meant to symbolize the shedding of Jesus's blood.

Anyway, we also saw some of their most sacred and oldest icons, and we got to talk with one of the Basilica staff. I asked him what the difference is between a basilica and a cathedral, and he said in the early days of the church it had more to do with architecture than anything, but now a church is deemed a "basilica" when it is deemed historically or spiritually important. Basilica's are therefore of a higher "rank" than cathedrals. A cathedral is usually the home parish of the area archbishop, and it contains a special chair or throne called a "cathedra" for the bishop (or the pope as the case may be). And as you might imagine, a basilica can also be a cathedral if it contains one of these special chairs (and probably for other reasons). However, in the case of the Basilica of St. Mary and the Cathedral of St. Paul, if the Pope ever came to Minnesota protocol would dictate that he would have to speak at the Basilica of St. Mary first since it is a basilica (and a cathedral). Interesting stuff, no?

So, we sat through the Mass which I could tell most of the boys thought was pretty boring. But that is OK. It was good to have the experience. The priest did make a special mention of the Scouts at the end, though, which most of them thought was pretty neat.

All in all, it was a very interesting day.

Interesting days: 13
Boring days 7

Day 21: Typing out this blog entry

Today I went to work, rode the bus home, made some dinner for the kids, helped my older son with his homework, and then sat down to write this now epic blog entry. Seriously, I have now been sitting here for a couple of hours getting all the pictures ready and typing it out. I hope you all appreciate it!

Not a very interesting day though.

Interesing days: 13
Boring days: 8

See you all later!

Posted by snackeru at November 15, 2005 7:55 AM | Boring vs. Interesting

A conference for stay at home moms? I thought that occurred every day... :)

Your life sounds just about like mine...'boring and stale'...just the way I like it.

Posted by: John B. at November 15, 2005 7:30 AM

Its not just for stay at home moms. Its for all moms who want to come and be replenished and told their job is important. It also encouraged us to go home and "bless" our husbands (really BLESS them!! if you know what I am talking about). This is for 2 reasons 1) because it is important part of every relationship, especially to the men, and 2) because they will start a fund so we can go again next year! Whoo Hooo!

Posted by: Molly at November 15, 2005 8:17 AM

Missed Vikings kickoff? Everyone together now:

D-V-R! D-V-R! D-V-R! D-V-R! D-V-R!

Posted by: bjhess at November 15, 2005 8:36 AM

How could a day at McDonald's with "Mayor" McCheesehead Craig be boring???? I ask you.

Posted by: SBG at November 15, 2005 8:56 AM

I don't use my DVR because at least I listen to the radio broadcast of the game on the way home. But it is an idea that I've thought of before.

Don't get me wrong, I had a good time at McDonald's with Craig, but it would not qualify as interesting. About the only interesting thing that happened is my younger son met a couple of classmates while there, and they were twins. What was a amazing about this is my son knew immediately how to tell them apart. So, I asked him how he knew and he said, "Because they are twins." So needless to say I am still a little stumped by that one.

Posted by: Shane at November 15, 2005 9:18 AM

I see your point about the DVR. When I am forced to do this, I enforce a strict radio silence on the way home. Of course, being in the large urban metropolis of Grand Forks means that I have a commute of approximately four minutes! My plan didn't work, though, as people kept calling on the telephone and telling me about the game before I could tell them not to. I had figured out that something really bad happened in the Carolina game well before Daunte went down.

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at November 15, 2005 11:25 AM

I almost always DVR the Vikes and I don't start watching until about 1:30 for a noon game. The big catalyst was the FOX robot football players constantly running the same play. I got tired of watching it going into and coming out of commercials. Then I got tired of watching commercials. Then I got tired of listening to the jabber between plays. And then I got tired of watching the whole game. :)

I also DVR'd the Twins during the playoffs a couple years ago when I had to work through an afternoon game. Now THAT was tough.

Posted by: bjhess at November 16, 2005 1:28 PM