< Links of the day | Main | Wow! Lots of stuff to chew on ... >

In Boston

Hey everyone! Talk about interesting, I am in Boston right now! So, unfortunately I probably won't have anything substantial written tomorrow (Monday). I am planning on a "future of the Twins" piece and possibly a little essay on Intelligent Design. But that will have to wait. Sorry.

Before I go, I must send a Shout Out! to Kevin in Arizona who I heard this morning on the Sports Huddle with Sid and Dave. Kevin voiced his opinion that if the Twins are to leave our pathetic state he hopes they do it soon so that Pawlenty is the governor of record for this dark day. Well said Kevin! Of course, Sid totally disregarded his comment and then went on a tirade about Gopher football. Anyway, it was nice to hear the voice of Kevin, a regular contributor to the Greet Machine. Nice work Kevin!

Finally, I have discovered a new singer that I must share with all of you: Sufjan Stevens. My goodness he is writing some good stuff. I can't even categorize it ... maybe it could be considered alternative folk with a heavy dose of spirituality. I don't know. Anyway, Sufjan has taken it upon himself to record an album about all 50 states. He has already finished Michigan and Illinois. A tall task to finish the rest of the them in our lifetimes, to be sure, but so far the music is beautiful. If you'd like to give it a listen, his song "Chicago" is freely available on the web (MP3).

Gotta go for now. It is midnight in Boston and I am tired. Talk to you soon!

Posted by snackeru at November 20, 2005 11:00 PM | Life

The T-Paw comment was spot on. Especially given what I heard this weekend: I heard from a reputable source who is deep in the capital scene that last year when the the presidential election was close and Minnesota was up for grabs, T-Paw and Norm Coleman went to Mayor Kelly saying that he had to endorse Bush, that MN was super close and that Kelly's endorsement could be enough to encourage MN moderates to vote for Bush.

Kelly of course asked what's it in for him and T-Paw promised him the Twins stadium. Unbeknownst to all of the parties involved was that Hennepin County had a ballpark finance plan that they were ready to unveil that was significantly cheaper and easier to accomplish than St. Paul's -- and more importantly -- didn't involve any state funds.

This is the reason why T-Paw could never get totally behind the Hennepin County plan, he already promised a deal to Mayor Kelly. It was especially tough because it became obvious right away that Kelly's support of Bush was going to kill him in this year's election. Which of course we all know came true.

So given that Kelly is no longer mayor, I would argue that T-Paw's shouldn't be held to his St. Paul ballpark promise anymore. This big question is does this help in the Governor supporting the Hennepin County deal?

P.S. looking forward to your thoughts on ID!

Posted by: freealonzo at November 21, 2005 8:24 AM

And here I thought that soon-to-be-ex-Mayor Kelly endorsed Bush on principle! I am -- what's the word? -- shocked! I'd feel bad for Kelly, but I don't want to.

Posted by: SBG at November 21, 2005 12:08 PM

I will comment on this later once I have checked my sources.
-Jiminstpaul

Posted by: Jim in St. Paul at November 21, 2005 1:28 PM

Thanks for the comments. I've gotten beyond the sadness part of losing the Twins. Now I'm just angry and want credit given where credit is due - and that credit goes to T-Paw. He's done nothing but sit around with his thumb up is a$$ and his other thumb in the air detecting which way the wind is blowing. All he cares about is making good on his promises???? Are you kidding? He can't even do that right, just ask the Taxpayers league. This guy is a total WEENIE, there's no other word.

No future governor deserves to shoulder the burden of the Twins leaving MN when it was the current governor sitting on his duff the entire time. No future governor will be presented with a deal which doesn't contain any state money. Pawlenty knows this and he knows the Twins are stuck and when they do eventually move, he won't be in office and won't be remembered for doing nothing about it.

Pohlad needs to pull an Irsay and skip town TONIGHT!!! Maybe that will wake up the governor and his "no no no" party.

Posted by: kevin in az at November 21, 2005 3:02 PM