< Thankful | Main | Sqwaking about all three stadiums... >

Kokology

A couple of things to report: first of all, I won't be updating this here blog tomorrow (Monday) as the software that runs it (Movable Type) will be upgraded. So, don't expect much of anything.

Secondly, I didn't even watch the Vikings' game today, so I can't even speak intelligently about it. Believe me, it was not my choice to miss it; it was the choice of anti-football women at my church (including my wife) who decided to host a huge wing-ding called "Advent Workshop" at the same time as the game. Gah! It was very frustrating helping people put together little fluffy sheep ornaments made of yarn knowing that the Vikings were throughly handling the Browns. Needless to say I'll be staying up tonight to catch the Sports Wrap with Mike Tice.

So, instead of writing about that I will take a chance and write about a nifty book I chanced upon this weekend called Kokology: The Game of Self-Discovery. What an interesting book! It is not a novel like I normally read, or a self-help book. It is a book with a series of scenarios and questions that you play out, most likely with another person. Let me give you an example:

You are standing in front of a painting at an art museum, hands clasped behind your back as you try to take it in, when a total stranger comes up alongside you and says something to you.

Which of the following does the stranger say?

1. "Isn't that a beautiful picture?"
2. "What do you think of this painting?"
3. "Excuse me, do you have the time?"
4. "You know, I happen to be a painter myself."

Now, don't try to guess what the answer should be. Just go with your first instinct. It may tell you a little bit about yourself.

If you are ready to find out what your answer says about you, click the link below...

Ready for the "key"? Here it is:

When a stranger suddenly speaks to you there's always a momentary mix of apprehension and expectancy. In this imaginary scenario, the words the stranger spoke actually reflect how you might react in chance encounters and when meeting others. Your answer reveals what kind of impression you make when meeting someone for the first time.

1. "Isn't that a beautiful picture?"
Your friendly and positive nature creates a great first impression on almost everyone you meet. Your only concern should be that people may or may not take you seriously at first.

You're the type who likes to feel out the other person's temperament before committing to anything. People can sense that hesitancy, and it may color their reactions to you. You won't step on any toes with your cautious approach, but you may end up living on other people's terms.

3. "Excuse me, do you have the time?"
To have the world you seem like an alright sort, but to the other half you look a little strange. You create a first impression of living life at your own pace and maintaining an individuality that some would call eccentric. You don't place much value on what others may be thinking or feeling. For better or worse, therein lies the secret with you.

4. "You know, I happen to be a painter myself.
On first meeting someone you come across as a little bit nervous and overeager. Maybe you're trying too hard to be liked, but the harder you try, the worse impression you make. Don't worry so much about making people think you're great - they'll like you better if you just loosen up and relax.

Did this surprise you? It did me. I answered #2.

So, if you liked this one let me know. I'll try to put up another one tomorrow evening (after the software update).

Posted by snackeru at November 27, 2005 8:02 PM | Books

Testing...

Posted by: Shane at November 28, 2005 7:05 PM

Message received:

The fox is in the hen house. The fox is in the hen house. Brett Favre will be "retired" tonight.

Curt in Grand Forks (aka Code Name Viper)

Posted by: Curt Hanson at November 28, 2005 8:00 PM

Holy crap! Did I unknowingly unleash the Viper?!?!? Abort! Abort! We need Favre to beat the Bears on Sunday!

Posted by: Shane at November 29, 2005 7:24 AM

Message received:

The fox is out to pasture. The fox is out to pasture. Awaiting orders for the "retirement" of Brian Urlacher....

Viper

Posted by: Curt Hanson at November 29, 2005 8:22 AM