< Sqwaking about all three stadiums... | Main | Stuff and Links of the day >

Vikings Kensington Runestone curse?

While tooling around the fantastic Wikipedia I chanced upon this article about the Minnesota Vikings. Inside the article it describes a couple of curses that currently plague the Vikings ala the Curse of the Bambino or the Billy Goat Curse. The curse that caught my attention though is the Kensington Runestone curse. I must admit, I have never heard of this one:

The Vikings have the more esoteric rune stone curse, named for the Kensington Runestone, claimed to be Viking in origin, which was found near Alexandria, Minnesota. Legend has it that the runestone predicts the fate of the Minnesota Vikings in the future.

22 Norwegians on
  discovery voyage from
  Vinland over (the) west we
  had camp by 2 skerries one
  days journey north from this stone
  we were and fishe(ed) one day after
  we came home found 10 men red
  with blood and dead.

The 22 Norwegians in this reference are a reference to the 22 players that play on a starting offense and defense on an NFL football team. The 10 dead are usually a reference to a massive group of injuries or an offense or defense that plays sub par.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I have been a Vikings fan for like 30 years and this is the first I have ever heard of this.

Whether I have ever heard of this curse or not, though, it sure seems to be working. Curse you, Kensington Runestone! First of all it is a fake, and now I find out it has kept the Vikings from winning the Super Bowl! It must be destroyed!

Posted by snackeru at November 29, 2005 9:41 PM | Vikings

I've heard of the stone, but not necessarily a Vikings (football) curse.

Posted by: bjhess at November 29, 2005 11:39 PM

Did you see in the Strib that the vikes and Anoka County may get rid of the roof to save $115 million and thus no (or reduced?) state funds needed. Taking their cues from the Twins/Hennepin County.

Posted by: freealonzo at November 30, 2005 12:33 PM

Yes indeed, I saw that article. Now if only Pohlad could take a hint from Zygi and offer at least half for the Twins stadium, then we might actually see some stadiums get built in this God-forsaken state.

Posted by: Shane at November 30, 2005 1:14 PM

While you are in Alexandria to destroy the Runestone, make sure to check out Big Ole, the huge Viking statue outside of the Runestone Museum. You might also want to visit the mighty Viking Center Mall, which makes even the Columbia Mall here in the Forks look like the Mall of America! There is one sporting goods store in the Viking Center Mall, though, that had a very impressive selection of Minnesota Vikings merchandise the last time I was there. Somewhere on the main drag near the Runestone Museum is a wonderful Swedish bakery; I can't remember the name, but you should check that out, too.

What I love about the Runestone is the non-stop arguing about it. New books and journal articles continue to be written advocating that it is real, although the literature advocating it to be a fake seems to be less. I always found it amusing that a stone commemorating an unknown and unrecorded journey by the Vikings just happened to be found centuries later in a county settled by thousands of Scandinavian-Americans. I'm sure it is just a coincedence...

Curt in Grand Forks (who will never be convinced that the Kensington Runestone is real)

Posted by: Curt Hanson at November 30, 2005 1:41 PM

In Dylan's Chronicles Vol 1. there is a great little story where Dylan is drinking with Bono and Bob tells Bono if you want to see America, take Highway 61 through MN to I-94 then go to Alexandria where there is Big Ole and the Runestone. No word if Bono ever took him up on the offer. However a NY Times writer did take the trip and reported it in the Sunday Times Magazine late August/early September. (Sorry, too lazy to find the link). The writer has a little bit of that Easterner among the rubes vibe going but still its is a fun article.

Posted by: freealonzo at November 30, 2005 1:53 PM