< Vikings Kensington Runestone curse? | Main | Random thoughts >

Stuff and Links of the day

Hey everyone. Sorry for my lack of posts, but I have just been swamped with work and life in general. This UThink upgrade has been a little more painful than I would have liked, but hopefully with time the pain will go away. Here are some random thoughts that I've had recently:

And to top it off, here are some "Links of the Day" for your enjoyment. See you later!

Posted by snackeru at December 1, 2005 9:16 PM | Links of the day

I commented about this earlier, but don't read too much into the County conducting the EIS. It's something they have to do anyway, and there are a bunch of time requirements that are legally required for public review before it can be published. The County is just checking the EIS box while they can, once (or if) they get the go ahead to construct, it is one less thing needed to get done before the County and Twins can move dirt. At $32,000 (paid for by the Twins) it is well worth it to get it done now, delays once a stadium is approved will cost a whole lot more than $32,000. The Gophers stadium EIS public comment period just ended and the final EIS should be in front of the BOR for approval in January or February.

Posted by: freealonzo at December 2, 2005 11:19 PM

17. Breathe underwater!

This may seem strange, or maybe everyone does it, but when I try to hold my breath underwater I'll exhale into my mouth and then swallow the air again. I keep doing this with the theory that I'm sucking all the oxygen out of the air I have - since exhaled breath does contain some oxygen.

It seems to work for me, but it runs a bit counter to the link you posted.

Posted by: bjhess at December 3, 2005 7:40 PM

Frank Deford has some stadium ruminations over at CNNSI:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/frank_deford/11/29/deford/index.html

I don't think he sheds much new ground (he seems to conclude that Minnesota would be a good place for a stadium, whereas it's probably not a necessary public expenditure in coastal or tourism-filled cities like Miami, LA, or Vegas) -- but I think he brings up some very good points about the actual structures we're building. It kinda falls in line with my opposition to the current stadium plan (do we want a corporate behemoth whose sole purpose is to maximize revenue for MLB and Carl Pohlad, or do we want a structure truly built by and for the community?).

I say -- is it possible for the community to propose their own stadium plan? One that would guarantee cheap, quality access for everybody, but offer enough amenities to help the team too? A true partnership? I realize the "geniuses" in the capitol will never take action on this, but should we, as fans? Could we organize, find some support from local architects/contractors, and maybe even pressure the Legislature for some cash to make a feasible proposal? I read about some grassroots efforts like this when they first proposed replacing the old Comiskey in Chicago -- of course, one of the activists was an architect, which helped... but now I suggest to people that we should propose a community stadium, and nobody seems to grasp the concept. It's as if we can only consider what the team/league demands. I'd like for us to CHANGE that, not simply DENY it, and truly negotiate for a better place to bring a community together and watch a major-league ballgame.

Just dreaming on a lazy Sunday afternoon, I guess, but if anyone out there feels the same as me, I'd love to hear about it.

Posted by: spycake at December 4, 2005 5:17 PM

Zygi Nackerud?? Nice name! Molly, your thoughts?

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at December 5, 2005 8:16 AM