< Random thoughts | Main | I can't believe what I'm reading >

Modicum of sports knowledge

• So I was watching the Gopher - Sun Devil game last night and it was a good one. The Gophers pulled out a victory in overtime, but that isn't the reason I enjoyed watching it. I enjoyed this college basketball game so much because the student section at Wells Fargo Arena in Arizona was so loud. I couldn't see them, but I could hear them chanting and that just put this game over the top for me. That and the ASU band. Wow! I could have just closed my eyes and enjoyed this game if just for the sounds coming out of my TV. Adam Boone's senior leadership and clutch play, the Gopher's excellent patience and ball movement down the stretch, the three pointers raining down from both teams ... all of that had nothing to do with why I enjoyed this college basketball game so much. It was all about the "atmosphere." That makes a lot of sense.

• So here is a typical argument between me and Cheesehead Craig:

Me: I like college basketball more than the NBA. Here are some ways I would improve the NBA.

CC: College basketball is all about atmosphere. That's it. And here is why all your new ways to make the NBA better are all retarded.

Me: I will concede that atomosphere does make a difference, but that isn't why I prefer to watch the college game over the NBA in the comfort of my own living room. Plus, I still think some of my rule changes would make a difference.

CC: You are a moron! Atmosphere, atmosphere, atmosphere! And did I mention atmosphere? Plus here are some more reasons why your NBA changes stink. In addition, I will not offer any of my own suggestions. I will just offer feeble attempts at disputing your changes and I will call them "garbage."

Me: You have angered me, CC. However, I will again attempt to discuss my reasoning in an adult and dignified manner.

CC: Ha! I will now unleash a cheap shot on Shane's reading choices, and I will suggest that he doesn't even have a "modicum of sports knowlege." Plus, I will again harp on about "atmosphere" even though I know it is only part of the story.

So, there you have it. Name calling, cheap shots, and nothing new added to the discussion. That is today's lesson on cheesehead debate tactics. Now you'll know how to spot it when it rears its ugly head again.

• That's all I got time for right now. I think it was time well spent though.

Posted by snackeru at December 6, 2005 8:21 AM | Sports

Correction to the argument:

Shane: NBA players are whining pansies with this half circle rule!

CC: But Shane, the rule is to help protect the players. Are you saying KG and Shaq are pansies?

Shane: They get hurt because there's not enough ball movement in 24 seconds, they need 35 seconds.

CC: What? There is no coorelation between the two.

Shane: None of the players in the NBA pay attention to the rules, so why have them?

CC: That's why we see players opting for shooting a layup instead of free throws when they are fouled.

Shane: Your argument about atmosphere is stupid CC and it's irrelevant to enjoying a sporting event. Now, leave me be so that I can continue to be a hypocrite and preach that the Vikings and Twins need new stadiums so that I can enjoy their games more.

CC: Your logic is truly dizzying.

Shane: You know, after actually watching a college game last night CC, you're right, the crowd and atmosphere of a college game does increase my enjoyment of the game. Plus, the Danielle Steele book I read last night after the game showed me what an insensitive lout I was to you.

CC: No problem admitting when you've made a mistake and that I'm right Shane.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at December 6, 2005 9:54 AM

I think anyone who uses the word "modicum" is smart. "Modicum" and "onus."

Posted by: bjhess at December 6, 2005 12:39 PM

Nice to be recognized for my intellect, bjhess. Thanks!

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at December 6, 2005 3:43 PM