< Best books read for 2005 | Main | In Disney World! >

Best Movies Viewed in 2005

Like before, these are the best movies I've watched in 2005. These movies didn't necessarily come out in 2005, although in this case most of them did. And this is only a fraction of my movie viewing. According to Netflix I have returned well over 60 discs this year (some of them TV shows). Hard to believe. But these are the movies I enjoyed the most. So, without further ado...

1. Finding Neverland
    Without a doubt my favorite of the year. I was really blown away by it from the acting, to the story, to the ending. A triumph all the way around. I think I am getting sappier and sappier in my old age.
  2. Batman Begins
    Yes ... this is the way Batman is supposed to be. One of the few movies that I actually saw twice in the theatres (although one time was at the discount theater). Can't wait for the next one.
  3. Napoleon Dynamite
    Oh my goodness do I love this movie. I will probably buy it to own (when I can find it for $10). I have found, though, that you either love this movie or you hate it. I am definitely in the "love" camp.
  4. Fight Club
    One of the few times where the film adaptation is just as good and may even surpass the original book. This movie just blows me away. It doesn't matter how many times I watch it, I always sit there riveted to the screen. Tyler Durden ... I will never forget that name.
  5. Mr. and Mrs. Smith
    I have a confession to make: I really like Brad Pitt movies. Like I said yesterday, with a wife and three kids I have nothing to prove to anyone. I'll like what I want, and there is nothing you can do about it! Angelina Jolie didn't hurt either. I must have been in a weird mood while I was watching this one, because I really enjoyed it.
  6. The 40 Year Old Virgin
    How can you not like a movie where the overall premise is of a guy waiting until marriage to have sex? Then again, it is pretty raunchy. Oh well, I watched this one with two good friends, and we laughed until we cried. It is hilarious, if you can overlook a certain amount of shocking crudity.
  7. Kingdom of Heaven
    Yep, I'm one of the few that liked this one. In fact, I liked it a lot. Good battle scenes, and it prompted me to do some research into the crusades and the background of this story. Fascinating stuff, really.
  8. Matchstick Men
    I waited a long time before I watched this one, and for no good reason because it is really quite entertaining. Nicolas Cage usually bothers me, but he did a bang up job. The movie features a nice twist at the end, too. Good stuff.
  9. March of the Penguins
    If you haven't seen this one, you are missing out. I cannot believe what those male penguins have to go through to protect those eggs. Absolutely amazing.
  10. Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
    I was surprised with how much I liked this one. Jim Carrey does his usual good work, and the sets are very appropriate. My kids liked it too.
  11. War of the Worlds
    This one is ranked a little lower because I expected a lot more out of a Spielberg film. It was still good, don't get me wrong, but it was missing something, and at times I found it a little boring. Good ending though.
  12. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
    The best of the prequels, hands down. If not for the crappy love story, this film would have been ranked a lot higher. As it is, the opening scenes with the space battle, and Obi Wan's pursuit of General Grievous (not to mention a pit stop on the Wookie planet) all make this film pretty good. The love story between Anakin and Padme is just horrendous though.
  13. Kill Bill Vol. 1
    A little gruesome, but still one of the most creatively filmed movies I saw all year. I didn't like Pulp Fiction at all, but I think Tarantino deserves some credit for this effort.
  14. SuperSize Me
    Funny, surprising, and educational movie, yet after watching it I have still been to McDonalds a few times. And I ask you, who else has had to throw up after eating a super-sized meal? What a pansy.
  15. Contact
    Fantastic movie about the battle between faith and reason. I can't say enough good things about it, so I won't even try.
  16. Cold Mountain
    I held off on watching this movie for a long, long time. My "boredom meter" was on high alert. But I actually enjoyed it. Not enough to watch it again, but it was good. I must have been in the right mood.
  17. Million Dollar Baby
    Sad, sad, sad. Enjoyable, but sad.

Any I missed? Let me know...

Posted by snackeru at December 16, 2005 10:55 AM | Lists

I haven't seen all the movies Shane listed, but I do agree with him on several of his choices.

40 year old Virgin was hysterical (saw it with Shane).

Star Wars Ep III was what the fans had been waiting for since Return of the Jedi. (again, saw it with Shane)

Batman Begins made me belive that a director finally read the actual comic books these superheros are in. (Shane was in attendance as well)

So in conclusion, if Shane sees a movie with me, it becomes one of his favorites.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at December 16, 2005 2:40 PM

Batman Begins, check. That's the best movie I've seen this year for sure.

40-year old Virgin, check.

Million Dollar Baby, I'm not sure I'm with you on it.

Kill Bill vol. 1. I wish there would have been more action scenes. Not enough killing

Posted by: SBG at December 16, 2005 4:01 PM

I should keep my mouth shut after reading that Pulp Fiction comment. :)

I'm surprised to see Neverland so high. I feel bad since I really was bored by it. Maybe I'm a rube?

I remember Crash being pretty good this year. Heard Capote is amazing. I'm not adding much to this conversation. I'll stop.

Posted by: bjhess at December 16, 2005 5:55 PM

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was the movie of the year. Check it out at the discount theater or wait for the DVD, but go see it. Sexy raucus fun!

Star Wars Ep III I was nearly in tears when Anikin and Obi Wan fought and when Obi Wan brought baby Luke to Tatoine While Uncle Earl was looking at the two suns setting with Luke's theme playing--forget about it.

Walk The Line. Johnny and June sing It Aint Me Babe and I'm literally shaking. One because the performance was awesome, and two, this was like 1964 and country stars were not covering Dylan.

Chronicles of Narnia. Captures the book perfectly without preaching.

Posted by: freealonzo at December 16, 2005 6:16 PM

Jeez, Luke's Uncle's name is Owen, not Earl, where did I get that name? And of course I spelled Tatoinne incorrectly. Minus 50 geek points please.

Also 40 year virgin was by far the funniest movie I saw this year.

Worst movie? The Avaitor. Marty, Marty, Marty. I had to rent Taxi Driver just to get the bad taste out of my mouth.

Posted by: freealonzo at December 17, 2005 1:14 PM

I forgot about Capote. That was a tremendous movie.

Posted by: SBG at December 19, 2005 11:51 AM

Don't forget The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Posted by: Jeff A at December 22, 2005 9:05 AM