< Don't give up | Main | What T-Paw really thinks about losing the Twins >

This just in ...

Wow. I'm hearing news from everywhere now. I was just informed of a few items from yesterday's lunch with the governor, Twins, and Hennepin County. One is that Opat may be feeling more optimistic than the news reports. That is certainly good news. However, I was also informed that Bell is really, really disappointed. I mean dangerously disappointed. That is not so good.

I was also informed that Sid Hartman had a serious breakdown on WCCO radio this morning and he literally freaked out about all of this stadium business. This was in part because of the Twins' disappointment over the lunch yesterday, but also because he has heard from other sources that the governor has admitted it would be "political suicide" to attempt a stadium run in 2006. This is not that surprising, but what had Sid really upset is that the governor is telling the media one thing, and his minions another.

I guess Sid also freaked out on Eric Eskola, calling him a "brown-noser" and saying he (Sid) isn't afraid to tell it like it is, that the governor is in jeopardy of losing the Twins and that his political games are getting a little tiresome. I think we all wish T-Paw would just say what he truly thinks and let the chips fall where they may.

I'm trying to get a hold of a recording of this exchange. I'll post it if I can get it.

Posted by snackeru at January 12, 2006 9:16 AM | Stadiums

I've never understood this "political suicide" angle and the Twins ballpark. There is very little evidence that politicians lose their jobs over these deals. Look at Norm Coleman, who brokered the X Arena deal with a lot more booty on the public side. Look also at the special election in Plymouth where the Republican tried to hang the .0015 percent sales tax scheme on her Democratic challenger. The Dem crushed that election. Also in Minneapolis, practically the entire Mpls delegation is against the deal. However the City leans so far Dem that there is no chance they would lose an election over this issue. My rep Frank Hornstein is nuts if he thinks his job is in jeopardy if we voted for County's ballpark plan.

Granted these guys have polling that I don't have but the evidence doesn't point to a huge voter backlash over these deals.

Posted by: freealonzo at January 12, 2006 10:05 AM

Hell, Norm Coleman ran for the U.S. Senate on the idea that he "brought hockey to St. Paul."

Posted by: SBG at January 12, 2006 10:32 AM

This is so true. History has proven that 1) Minnesotans have a very short memory and 2) even when legislators have voted in favor of past stadium plans, or come out in favor of them, it has never, ever cost them their jobs. And look at what happened after the Xcel Energy Center! People have been praising Norm Coleman ever since.

I tell you, if we can get outstate legislators on board, screw the Hennepin County do-nothings. The votes are there, and out-state constituents are, it seems, wildly in favor of this plan.

Of course, we'll see what happens...

Posted by: Shane at January 12, 2006 11:11 AM

Living in South Dakota, most of what I know about this issue comes from your site, but it seems to me, too, that Pawlenty would be better off to just take a strong stand one way or another. I would think people on both sides are getting tired of seeing him try to ride the fence. At least if he took a stand, he wouldn't look weak and indecisive, the way he does now.

Posted by: Jeff A at January 12, 2006 12:30 PM

Well sure Sid is upset. If the Twins and Vikings were gone what job would he have left? Writing about the Gophers?

Posted by: Gary Fouty at January 12, 2006 2:29 PM

Actually Sid always says his favorite thing to write about is the U. It has been his beat for over 60 years now.

Sid may be a homer, but I love his stance on the stadium issue. Losing the Twins is not in the best interest of Minnesota.

Posted by: Shane at January 12, 2006 4:00 PM

Testing, testing...

Posted by: Shane at January 13, 2006 10:35 AM

Sid calling someone out for being a "brownnoser" is like Jay Leno dissing someone for having a big chin. You can't go more than a week without hearing Sid praise some mediocre Minnesota sports figure (that he gets leads from) as being the best ever.

Posted by: chapman at January 13, 2006 11:20 AM