< Schulz, MLK, and insensitivity | Main | It's that time of year again >

Happy Birthday to Me (and SBG)

• Greetings and salutations, loyal reader! I'm not sure that anyone out there cares, but today is my birthday. Now, last year was an interesting birthday because I found out that January 17 is also Stick and Ball Guy's birthday. So, after you stop by here go over to his site and wish him a happy birthday from me! And just for your edification, here is a list of other people who were also born on January 17th:

Benjamin Franklin, 1706
Al Capone, 1899
Rock Hudson, 1925
James Earl Jones, 1931
Muhammad Ali, 1942
Jim Carrey, 1962

Good company for me and SBG, heh? Drop me a comment for my birthday! You can even do it anonymously! In fact, I command you to leave me a comment! It is my birthday wish!

• If you are looking for stadium news today, there isn't much to report. In case you missed it, you should check out Andy Brehm's commentary, Replace the Dome or Lose the Twins. A little sleight of hand with the numbers, but overall a good and well written effort.

UPDATE: Of course, just when I think there isn't any stadium news, the Vikings go ahead and create some. My initial impression of this turn of events is that the Vikings are wasting a whole lot of money by trying to ram their plans through this year. Unless this firm is going to start promoting a Twins stadium too, I don't see the legislature giving the Vikings the time of day. And that is a shame because in many ways the Vikings stadium bill is better than the Twins stadium bill. Well, I guess in one big way: it includes a bigger chunk of change from the owner. We'll watch this situation closely, I can guarantee you that, but I don't think much will come from it. I wish Zygi the best though. If we can get one of these stupid stadium bills out of the way that would be a good thing.

• I must admit that I hate the song "Does Anyone Really Know What Time It Is" by Chicago with a burning passion that rivals the Sun. It may even rival my hatred for Tom Petty songs. I heard it yesterday while I was enjoying a delicious Snuffy's malt and it just about ruined everything. I'm still humming that stupid song.

madsen.jpg I just gotta ask, does this man deserve the money the T-Wolves gave him? I know he is a great guy and all, but what does he play, maybe 10 minutes a game? What does he average, a little over 1 point a game? I can't help but think that Mad Dog is the poster child for the ineptness of Kevin McHale as VP.

• Well, I watched all the Firefly episodes. Loved 'em. Couldn't get enough of them. And that Wash character! Such a funny guy. Then I watched the movie Serenity and I was loving it. It had action, suspense, comic relief ... it answered questions and had an awsome plot. And then the unthinkable happened! Why did Joss Whedon do what he did? Why? Both my wife and I sat there stunned. Very upsetting. If you've watched it, you know what I'm talking about.

Luckily, it looks like there will be a Serenity sequel of some sort (probably on TV) so Whedon can redeem himself.

That's all I got time for now. See you later!

Posted by snackeru at January 17, 2006 5:52 AM | Life | Stadiums

You know, I saw it and I don't know what you're talking about. I wonder if I needed to see the Firefly episodes to be galled? Of course, I'm having trouble remembering actual details of the ending now - I'm getting old when it comes to remembering details of movies.

Posted by: bjhess at January 17, 2006 7:10 AM

Oh, and Happy Birthday!

Posted by: bjhess at January 17, 2006 7:11 AM

Of course we care that this is your birthday! It is a cause for celebration in the Hanson household of Grand Forks, Manitoba. We all eat lefse (I draw the line at lutefisk), and listen to your favorite songs; "Rock and Roll Hootchie Coo," "Radar Love," and "Flirtin' With Disaster." For next year, we'll have to add Chicago plus a little Petty to the list. For that one day, I forget about the fact that your Norwegian ancestors callously raped, pillaged, and plundered my Irish anscestors. I mean I have to let it go at least one day a year right?

And while this day is honored up here in the Forks, this does not necessarily mean that you will receive your birthday present on time. This lateness will be purely due to the incompetence of the Canadian postal system, and not the mailer forgetting to get it to the post office!

Happy Birthday!

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at January 17, 2006 8:23 AM

That is hilarious, Curt! I was just thinking last Friday of my most hated songs ever written, and "Rock and Roll Hoochie Coo" and "Radar Love" both topped the list. You nailed it with those two songs! Add Chicago to the mix and I would probably have a seizure.

I can't believe you are getting me a gift. That is completely unecessary, but definitely appreciated.

And bjhess, I gave you a clue by mentioning Wash in the first part of my Serenity rant. Why, I ask you? Why?

Posted by: Shane at January 17, 2006 8:55 AM

Happy Birthday Shane!

Madsen is not worth playing in the NBA anymore. He's a thug.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at January 17, 2006 8:55 AM

Shane
Happy birthday ! You must be getting right up there in age but I would gladly swap ages with you. have a great day. doug

Posted by: Doug at January 17, 2006 9:16 AM

Happy Birthday, old man! It is indeed a day of greatness! :)

Posted by: SBG at January 17, 2006 9:30 AM

happy birthday! maddog is a great cheerleader.

Posted by: david! at January 17, 2006 9:56 AM

Shane, that hurts. As for the "Poster Child" comment, I have a few words for you: Stojko Vrankovic. Andrew Lang. Bill Curley. Joe Smith. John Thomas. Ndudi Ebi.

Posted by: Mark Madsen at January 17, 2006 10:45 AM

Mark, you forgot Paul Grant. And Igor Rakocevic.

Posted by: SBG at January 17, 2006 12:57 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
My friend in Madison ranted about "lurking" blogs, so I am committed to leaving comments on any blog I visit, even if it's just "Hi, nice blog" or "Hi, crappy blog"
But to you I say "Happy Birthday"!!!

Posted by: Cheesehead's Wife at January 17, 2006 1:41 PM

Happy birthday, Shane! I wish I could get you a new stadium for your birthday, but this will have to do. Remember, some people mature, others just get older.

I don't know about you, but inside, I still feel like I'm about 23. I asked my dad, who's 83, when that feeling goes away. He said it never does. If he overdoes things, and gets his body aggravated, then he feels his age, but if he just sits around and feels okay, he said he still feels about 23.

You're still a kid, so maybe these things don't occur to you yet, but I sure hope he's right. I hope to get old, but I never want to feel old. Anyway, again, happy birthday!

Posted by: Jeff A at January 17, 2006 2:06 PM

By the way, one more person who shares your birthday--Chili Davis.

Posted by: Jeff A at January 17, 2006 4:16 PM

According to Wikipedia, you also share your birthday with:
Betty White, Eartha Kitt, Vidal Sassoon, Don Zimmer, Troy Donahue, Maury Povich, Mick Taylor, Andy Kaufman, Steve Earle, Susanna Hoffs, Kid Rock, and Dwyane Wade.

Happy Birthday, Shane! And my man Don Zimmer!!

Posted by: chapman at January 17, 2006 4:51 PM

Don Zimmer?!?!? Kid Rock?!?!? Awesome!

I am truly in some exceptional company!

But tops is Chili Davis, thanks for finding that out Jeff. I loved Chili...

Posted by: Shane at January 17, 2006 5:48 PM

Hey, I'm easy. Happy Birthday, Shane.

Posted by: Anonymous at January 17, 2006 6:08 PM

Happy B-day, Shane. Hopefully T-Paw and Old Carl have a present for ya...

As for Mark Madsen, the NBA is littered with weird, long-term deals for mediocre bench players. So in that sense, maybe McHale was just trying to keep up with the market...? Fortunately, Madsen is still making a relatively low salary ($10 million over 5 years, I read), but he still seems to be the very definition of replacement-level.

Posted by: spycake at January 17, 2006 6:44 PM

Happy birthday Shane. I also loved Firefly and Serenity. Especially the episodes at the end of the season, things were really coming together, and there wasn't so much of that unnatural dialogue that every show has in season 1 to establish each character's background. So what story would you want to see in the (possible) next movie? Me and some of my fellow nerds in the nerdery (CS building) would like to see something going into Shepherd Book's history, since it was alluded to so often in the series but never elaborated on in the movie.

Posted by: Tim M at January 17, 2006 8:19 PM