< Links of the day | Main | Waiting ... >

Random musings, odds, and ends

I don't have anything coherent to say today, so I'm just going to write and write until I have nothing to write about anymore.

• A few days ago, Tim M. asked me what kinds of story lines I would like to see in a Serenity sequel. I think the story of Book is a given. He was a mysterious character, and we definitely didn't get the truth about him. I would also love to see more about the bounty hunter "Jubal" that showed up in the last Firefly episode. He was a very interesting dude. But more than anything, I would like to know more about the Independence movement and the Browncoats. What were they really fighting for? I know "independence" but what else? I'm sure there were other grievances. I would also like to know what happens now that Mal and his crew unleashed the truth about the Reevers. Does this create another revolution attempt? I would think some people would be kind of upset with the Alliance.

So, there you have it. I think there is a lot of story left to tell. I hope Joss Whedon gets the green light.

• If I was to have another child, and that child turned out to be a boy, I would name him "Augustus Octavius." You know, to boost his confidence. And I would force everyone to call him by his complete name, "Is Augustus Octavius present?" That would be awesome. Of course, I would call him by his nickname: Skippy.

• I was listening to KFAN a couple of days ago when Dan Barreiro said something that made me chuckle, and think. He said one of the biggest mysteries in the whole sporting world is how Matt Millen still has any kind of position of authority within the Lions organization. I used to think Mike Tice had some sort of blackmail working against Zygi to keep his job (ticket scalping, whizzinator, sex boat, 2-5 start, etc.), but Millen must have some naked pictures or something that are working to keep him employed. Yikes.

• So, if you are a stadium fanatic like me, you would have to have been blind to miss this snippet from Sid Hartman yesterday:

Senate Majority Leader Dean Johnson, DFL-Willmar, reports Gov. Tim Pawlenty has called a meeting Monday at the governor's estate to talk about how to solve the stadium proposals for the Twins and Gophers football.

Attending the meeting will be House Speaker Steve Sviggum, R-Kenyon; House Minority Leader Matt Entenza, DFL-St. Paul; and Senate Minority Leader Dick Day, R-Owatonna.

Also attending will be Brad Finstad, R-New Ulm, author of the house ballpark bill, and Sen. Steve Kelley, DFL-Hopkins.

"I hope that Hennepin County will continue to stay with the bill they proposed to build the Twins baseball stadium," Johnson said.

What is most interesting about this is that T-Paw is inviting Matt Entenza, an anti-stadium legislator and House Minority Leader. I honestly think that coming out of this meeting Entenza will be the barometer of possible stadium action. If Entenza comes out of the meeting even remotely optimistic towards the possibilty of a new Twins stadium I think we can all breathe a sigh of relief. If he comes out of the meeting with his typical anti-stadium rhetoric, though, that means the opposition is still there and isn't budging much. That probably means we should all keep our hopes in check.

I know Sid thinks Dick Day is also somewhat anti-stadium, but I disagree. He just wanted to vote for stadiums in the regular session. If push comes to shove he will vote for the Hennepin County plan.

Sid also alludes to the fact that inviting Entenza and Day takes T-Paw off the hook if a stadium bill isn't supported. That may be true. I think Sid is pessimistic that Entenza will come out of the meeting in favor of the plan. I would have to agree with him. We'll see on Monday though.

• Yesterday I linked to the Prejudice Map that uses Google to unveil the prejudices we have towards the people of various countries. I found this map, and the technique to build it, to be highly entertaining. So, I decided to try it on myself. In Google I type "Shane is known for" and this is what I get out:

"Shane is known for taking that extra time to assure that everything is done to the level of his high standards."
So true, so true...

"Shane is known for his boisterous personality and fun-loving attitude."
Again, how do they know me so well?

"Shane is known for pulling rabbits out of hats in competition."
I am a pretty crafty guy. And now that I've mentioned "rabbits" again on this site I'll get even more hits from search engines for this word.

"Shane is known for an aggressive drumming style and in the interest of crowd safety; we have recently been forced to put him in a Plexiglas cage."
Needless to say, I ROCK! The crowd must be protected from ME because I go crazy on those skins! And do they really think Plexiglas can hold me? I'm gonna go Incredible Hulk on that Plexiglas!

"If there's one thing Shane is known for, it's perserverance."
If you fail, try, try again I always say.

Is there anything you are known for? Put it in the comments below...

• Lastly, a few weeks ago something I dearly love was taken away from me. At first I was very upset about this. And then I became very saddened. "Why are they doing this to me?" I thought. "What have I done to deserve this?" I was promised something even better, but I didn't believe it. How could something new be as good as what I had come to love so much. Well, I am happy to say I was wrong.

bcvanillacoke.jpg

Black Cherry Vanilla Coke ... oh how I love thee. I must say Coke is forgiven for dropping Vanilla Coke in favor of this taste sensation. I am satisfied.

Posted by snackeru at January 20, 2006 12:27 PM | Life | Stadiums

Chapman
...is known for his use of deep mythological symbolism.
...is known for bringing down fugitives.
...is known for eating seven pounds of chili in five minutes.
...is known for his understanding of the weapon fighting arts around
the world.

Posted by: chapman at January 20, 2006 2:35 PM

Craig is known for the following:

"his creative, exciting and relevant Bible teaching."
Believe what I say, or you're going to Hell

"his hysterically clever songs"
Nobody better

"his passion"
The wife can definately vouch for this, nudge nudge wink wink

"Craig is best known for his involvement in the 1980 Winter Olympics event Miracle
on Ice"
If it weren't for me, it wouldn't have happened.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at January 20, 2006 2:41 PM

At risk of revealing part of my identity...

Dean is known for...

helping ordinary people live extraordinary lives.

his Dylan-esque half-sung/half-spoken delivery of literate folk tunes with a rock backing.

being angry and shooting his answers straight from the hip.

his clear, concise and upbeat approach to Yoga.

Also Shane, check out Diablo Cody's review of BCVC in her blog at City Pages. She likes too!

Posted by: freealonzo at January 20, 2006 4:07 PM

Good point regarding Entenza at the Gov's stadium meeting - my gut feeling is that Entenza is largely there to give Pawlenty some plausible deniability when things don't move forward. "I brought the two sides together, but they wouldn't move," sort of thing.

As for da Google...

"David is known for his attention to detail..."
(Amazon.com)

"David is known for his writing..."
(cyberlink.ch)

"David is known for his speed, great work ethic, and good attacking abilities..."
(universitysport.ca)

"David is known for his emotional, innovative, rump-shaking DJ sets..."
(shopsolid.com)

I should also point out that I have an entire Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David

So there!

Posted by: David Wintheiser at January 20, 2006 5:44 PM

Interesting musing on the Serenity sequel. I like your idea of delving more into Book's mysterious past because it would mean that Book, and others, would be alive and kicking.

But don't forget Inara. There has to be more to her - now that Serenity is out, we have hints of Books background, but nothing new about Inara. Well, we know that she has wicked aim with a crossbow, but still.

Your questions about the Independence movement are also intriguing, particularly those thoughts dealing with the aftermath of Miranda. I am sure that the revelations of the Reavers and what happened on Miranda would and should spark some backlash or another revolution, but who would be those who protest? More Browncoats, or perhaps others like the Operative (and Book?), or both? And what exactly would they want changed?

And certainly an important question to consider - will Jayne's mother knit him another hat?

-p

Posted by: Anonymous at January 25, 2006 10:12 AM