< Waiting ... | Main | I still love you >

I guess there was no meeting

UPDATE: I just heard that the meeting did not take place yesterday as planned, and that a make-up meeting has not been scheduled. Bummer. I bet it was that anti-stadium Matt Entenza screwing everything up. Blast him and his hatred of the Twins!

• Well, I guess there wasn't a Twins stadium related meeting with the governor yesterday. This kind of ticks me off since stadium news to me is like heroin to an addict. I need my fix. Maybe they are meeting today? Why hasn't anyone reported this yet? This is very upsetting. Although, I should learn to accept that I will never get my way when it comes to stadiums in Minnesota. This is just yet another example of that fact.

• Jim in St. Paul wrote in a comment last night about a recent editorial that appeared in the St. Paul Pioneer Press entitled: Why we still support a Twins stadium in St. Paul. I wonder if their new managing editor wrote this. It is very good. First it lays out some of the economic realities of Major League Baseball and why a stadium is important for the Twins' long term future. Then it zeros in on St. Paul. Among the editorial's more salient points:

A St. Paul ballpark would be a significant driver of economic development in the capital city. As we've said before, spending the same $300 million in public money to move the stadium a few blocks up the street in Minneapolis would be less transformative than if it were spent to build a new ballpark in downtown St. Paul.

That may be true. I think the Twins leaving Minneapolis for St. Paul would also have an economic impact on Minneapolis, though, only in a negative sense. Anyway, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I don't care if they build a stadium in Bemidji, just build the stupid thing so we can assure the Twins will stay around. As John Lennon said:

You say you've got a real solution
Well, you know
We'd all love to see the plan

Show me the money!

• And speaking of money, Shooter recently reported (and sorry, I can't find the link) that if St. Paul were to get into the stadium game again, there is no way they could put a plan together without state money. I would think this requirement would immediately put them at a disadvantage. Besides, how gung ho is Coleman about trying to bring the Twins to St. Paul? My impression is that his attitude towards this possibility is tepid at best.

• If anyone has any news about the meeting that was supposed to happen, please let me know! Has it been rescheduled? Shelved indefinitely? What is the deal?

Posted by snackeru at January 24, 2006 8:32 AM | Stadiums

I suppose I should have been more skeptical of the 'meeting' myself, since the only person who reported it was Sir Sidney.

Since 1958, manufactured news for excitable people!

Posted by: David Wintheiser at January 24, 2006 8:59 AM

Actually, Aron Kahn reported it too:

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/legislature/13665932.htm

Yes, if it was just Sid then I wouldn't be as upset.

By the way, how are the "rump-shaking" DJ sets coming along? ... hilarious!

Posted by: Shane at January 24, 2006 9:06 AM

The fact that there is even discussion of a St. Paul stadium proposal that needs $100's of millions of public money when the Hennepin County proposal needs zero public dollars points to a total and utter lack of leadership on the part of even one member of the Minneapolis legislative caucus.

When qualities generally considered to be desirable in a legislator (leadership, creativity, decisiveness)are evaluated, the Minneapolis caucus sadly makes Governor T-Paw look like a modern day FDR.

Posted by: freealonzo at January 24, 2006 2:29 PM

Totally off topic, but that is because I forgot to mention it the other day (your birthday post), where you mentioned you had seen all of the Firefly episodes, and was hoping for a Serenity sequel. Should you wish to relive Serenity, but not want to Netflix it so soon, visit this URL, which summarizes the movies in 2000 Words or less:

http://www.swartzer.com/writing/serenity2000.php

Posted by: Anonymous at January 25, 2006 10:18 AM