< I still love you | Main | Nothing coherent, just more "dashed off tripe" >

One more thing

I went to a series of presentations over lunch today concerning wikis, podcasting, videos, and statistics and the work that is being done on campus here at the U of M concerning these technologies. Anyway, after the presentations the audience would clap, as you might expect. But as I sat there beating my hands together I was just overwhelmed by the feeling of how stupid clapping really is. Here we are, about 200 U of M tech people beating our hands together like a bunch of monkeys. Do you know what I mean? Slapping my two palms together to suggest to someone, or a group of people, that I approve of what they had just done. Yesterday I might have said something else, but today I say clapping is absolutely bonehead stupid.

clapping.jpg
Proof we are descended from monkeys

I guess it is just one of those things that make me wonder.

Posted by snackeru at January 25, 2006 3:51 PM | Stuff I wonder about

I was doing a search on the internet using the words: bunnies, monkeys, darth vadar, and "God bless my underwear". Funny... your website turned up.

:)

Posted by: Visitor at January 25, 2006 4:27 PM

Clap monkey! Clap!

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at January 26, 2006 8:23 AM

Does someone have too much time on his hands?
Let's give him a round of applause...

Shane, you apparently don't perform in front of an audience enough to have developed the thrill of being applauded. Some people are junkies for the sound.
This raises good questions of the traditio/cultural habit of clapping, where can I find more info? Why not a link for your devoted readers?

Posted by: Cheesehead's wife at January 26, 2006 9:33 AM

I was at that meeting. It was quite interesting. There was this annoying guy from the libraries who kept chiming in -- uh -- nevermind.

I personally found it interesting that there was no applause between speakers. Just an ending round of applause.

They gave you a good plug though!

Posted by: DouglasG at January 26, 2006 2:54 PM

Douglas, that wasn't me. That was my boss's boss. I only piped up once. I was mainly content to listen to what people thought about UThink. What kinds of impressions people had. I was very enthused about the plug UThink received!

And you are right, the lack of applause was interesting. When it finally did happen I just had this feeling ... weird, I know.

Posted by: Shane at January 26, 2006 2:58 PM

Next time I attend one of Shane's presentations, I promise to make the "raise the roof" gesture if his words are commendable.

Posted by: chapman at January 26, 2006 4:31 PM