< I choose anger! | Main | I am still not optimistic >

A couple of things

This will be completely stream of consciousness ... please forgive me.

• A little birdy tells me that the meeting that was supposed to happen a couple of weeks ago will actually happen this Monday (2/6). The same people are rumored to attend: Opat, Bell, T-Paw, Day, Sviggum, Johnson, and Entenza. And like I said before, my focus will be on Entenza. He is the only one of these people that I still would consider anti-stadium. If he comes out of this meeting even remotely favorable towards a new Twins stadium I will consider it a victory. For example, if he comes out of this meeting and says, "The plan doesn't suck as much as I thought it would," I will take that as a positive.

• Speaking of Entenza, I heard that he was on WCCO radio today talking about the stadium. According to my sources he said that he wanted to study any new plan in detail before making any judgements. A step in the right direction, I think.

Again, if T-Paw can get Entenza on board that would mean he would have the Speaker of the House, the Minority Leader of the House, the Majority Leader of the Senate, and the Minority Leader of the Senate all in favor of the Hennepin County plan. That would be a nice little coalition. Right now T-Paw has 3 out of 4.

• T-Paw was on WCCO radio last week again touting St. Paul as a better location for a new Twins ballpark. I have no problem with St. Paul being the new home of the Twins, but Governor ... they have no plan. And any plan they do promote will have to include state money. The 3% stadium tax Kelly promoted would not be able to raise the same amount of money a .01% tax would be able to raise in Hennepin County.

Is Coleman even that gung ho about a new stadium in St. Paul? My impression is no. Jim in St. Paul, if you are reading this, help me out with this. Would you take a stadium in Hennepin County right now over the possibilty of the Twins giving up and packing it in? Or do you prefer waiting for another chance for St. Paul?

• Unfortunately, however, as we all know any chance we have relies on T-Paw taking a stand. In fact, it would probably come down to T-Paw playing the bonding bill card ala Arne Carlson and saying, "I won't sign until a Twins stadium bill is approved." How likely is that? Not very.

I was talking with another stadium expert today when I asked him, "What chances do we really have this year? Less than 50?" And he looked at me and said, "The chances are better in 2006 than 2007." What he means by this is that the Hennepin County plan, the Twins desire to try again, the governor's even tepid support ... none of these will probably be the same in 2007.

• However, it seems we do have some reason for optimism. I have heard that stadium supporters might be happy with the outcome of Monday's meeting, for whatever reason. We'll see.

• And I can't believe I didn't write about this before, but last week was our Cub Scout Pack's Pinewood Derby. As you can see below, my son came in second out of about 40 cars! We both were thrilled, especially my son, but I was really happy too because I worked really hard on that car! It was a nice way for my son to end his Cub Scout career. He gets the Arrow of Light later this month.

pinewood2006.jpg

Posted by snackeru at February 3, 2006 8:02 AM | Life | Stadiums

Way to go Shane and Alex! Good to see the Snackeru Speedster do well.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at February 3, 2006 4:59 PM

Yeah, I am a little confused about T-Paw's frequent remarks regarding St. Paul. Who is he talking to? It obviuously isn't any of the folks I talk to on occasion regarding a ballpark in St. Paul for the Twins. Are we still going with the theory that he is try to send Sid to an early grave with all the Saintly City talk?
I guess if it comes down to giving St. Paul a chance, I would be willing to wait until the next leg. session. Probably not what you want to hear Shane.
-Jiminstpaul

Posted by: Jiminstpaul at February 3, 2006 6:28 PM

Shane, when you say "I worked really hard on that car!" I am sure you meant, I worked really hard supervising my son as he worked on the car. Cub Scout rules specifically state that the scout should do the work on the car himself, with adult supervision. The only thing the parent should help with is the use of dangerous tools such as a band saw. :o)

As for the stadium, I will personally give $50.00 to anyone who will ask Governor T-Paw why he supports a Twins Stadium in St. Paul when it will take millions of state $$$ while not supporting the Hennepin County plan that has zero, nada, zip state $$$ attached to it. The question has to be in a public setting and can be asked by a citizen, reporter, legislator.

Posted by: freealonzo at February 5, 2006 1:31 PM

I cut and pasted this from the afternoon edition of the Star Tribune.

House Speaker Steve Sviggum, R-Kenyon, said the 2005 bill had the support of 69 House members, enough to guarantee passage if it came to a vote. The DFL-led Senate has been more receptive to stadium bills.

"From our point of view education and health care are infinitely more important, but we're certainly willing to do some work on this issue as well," said House Minority Leader Matt Entenza, DFL-St. Paul.

With this attitude and outlook don't ever look for a stadium funding bill to pass because there will ALWAYS be something else on the table that is mor important. Remember the one about the flooding in the Red River area in northern Minnesota? That was really important at the time and needed attention before a Twins bill. Did anything ever come of that? What about the lack of diaper genies in the International Falls region last summer? They were saying how important that crisis was "We cant't possible think about a Twins stadium at this point in time, we have all these parents disposing of diapers in the trash"

It always is something and always will be something else until the moving vans pull up and then it will be "Well you guys were next on the list, you didn't wait long enough"

Posted by: Steve at February 6, 2006 3:04 PM