< I am still not optimistic | Main | Ways and Means Committee >

More drivel

• You all probably already saw this, but according to the Pioneer Press:

House Speaker Steve Sviggum, R-Kenyon, said the 2005 bill had the support of 69 House members, enough to guarantee passage if it came to a vote. The DFL-led Senate has been more receptive to stadium bills.

I wonder if some of this calculation is based on the Voter's Guide. I would like to think it is. And speaking of the Voter's Guide, I've been told that it was given to Erik Paulsen, House Majority Leader, at a GOP fundraiser last Friday night as proof that the votes are there to pass a stadium bill in the House. Of course, Erik Paulsen is the main reason there was no special session last summer to deal with this issue. His lobbying against a special session will cost taxpayers millions of extra dollars in increased stadium costs if not for a Twins stadium then certainly for a Gophers stadium.

Thanks Erik! You are a genius!

And speaking of Erik Paulsen, check out this website that he and some other state senators put together for our edification. I pray when the Twins are gone that Mr. Paulsen takes some extreme heat for his stance on this issue.

• You probably already also saw this article concerning Bruce Lambrecht and Rich Pogin of Twinsville fame by Mark Kaszuba of the Star Tribune. I truly can't believe how stupid this article is. First of all, if Lambrecht and Pogin had T-Paw wrapped around their little fingers as the article claims, we would already have a new Twins stadium! For goodness sake, I wish Lambrecht had T-Paw in his pocket!! I wouldn't have to worry about this anymore! Where is the logic in this article?

Secondly, God forbid anyone make money or use their connections in this state. I can't believe how anti-capitalism we are in the great state of Minnesota. What? You mean someone might actually make money? Someone might actually better their life at my expense? No! I won't let this happen! Me, me, me, me me!!!

People make money. People have friends in high places. Neither of these two things are inherently evil! So get over it!

Posted by snackeru at February 8, 2006 8:38 AM | Stadiums

The Twinsville article shows how desperate the anti-ballpark people are. Their strategy is to throw everything and anything up against the ballpark and see what sticks. Unfortunately the ballpark supporters have to respond to this drivel.

The "community ownership" people are also revving up again. Don't get me wrong, I'd buy a few shares if I thought it would work, but it's a smokescreen giving cover to anti-ballpark legislators when the Twins move. ("I had a plan to keep the Twins here, MLB wouldn't listen so don't blame me that the Twins are now in Portland").

Keep up the fight Shane, the anti-ballpark folks won't give up - nor should you.

Posted by: freealonzo at February 8, 2006 10:00 AM

"Someone might actually better their life at my expense?"

This statement becomes especially silly because when someone betters their own life rarely does it actually come at another individual's expense. It's the pie fallacy of economics - that total wealth is a static number and if one becomes more wealthy some other or group of others must become equally less wealthy.

I happened to read about the pie fallacy here.

Posted by: bjhess at February 8, 2006 10:23 AM

Hey Shane...your buddy Norm is at it again...

http://www.startribune.com/509/story/232429.html

SoDakTwinsFan

Posted by: SoDakTwinsFan at February 8, 2006 12:34 PM

I must admit that I haven't even read the Coleman article today. I just couldn't take it. I've got too much going on and it would have just set me off on another rant.

Posted by: Shane at February 8, 2006 2:15 PM

OOPS! I did mean Nick...my bad. What do you expect from a hick in South Dak! Thanks for not calling me on it!

SoDakTwinsFan.

Posted by: SoDakTwinsFan at February 8, 2006 3:50 PM

I don't claim to know much about Sviggum, but I DO know that at his seat at the rostrum in the House, there is a pronounciation guide to various represenatives--and his own name is on it.

High comedy.

Posted by: tootie at February 8, 2006 9:51 PM