< Ways and Means Committee | Main | Is a referendum really required by law? >

All editorials point to Hennepin County

• Wow! Now this is a surprise! The Pioneer Press has reversed its stance and now favors a Twins ballpark in Hennepin County. Plus, this editorial also calls on Zygi Wilf to privately finance a new Vikings stadium. Check this out:

So what to do to ensure Minnesotans can continue to enjoy baseball and pro football? Here's our advice on Minnesota's stadium conundrum: Wilf should build the Anoka complex after lining up financing, which is his specialty as a real estate mogul. He could then build a Vikings stadium as he wants it, reaping all the benefits — and profits.

By doing this, Wilf would free up the Legislature to focus first on the Twins, who are the greatest threat to pack up and leave. The Legislature should then give Hennepin County the exemption on the 0.15 percent sales tax. That would avoid the costly referendum — which quite possibly could fail. At the very least, it would keep the price from going up another $30 million.

In short: Problem solved.

Problem solved indeed. I wish it were that easy. Again, though, what is interesting about this is the shift of the Pioneer Press editorial staff to now favor the Hennepin County plan. This could be because the PiPress has a new editor, or it could be because they realize that Chris Coleman doesn't have a plan or the desire to create one. I, for one, welcome this shift in their stance, but I expect Jim in St. Paul is weeping in his Summit right now.

• Today I received confirmation that the Greet Machine Voter's Guide has indeed been placed in the hands of Speaker of the House Steve Sviggum. I can't express to you enough what a thrill this is, although in looking what I have written for Mr. Sviggum himself it appears I have a little updating to do. I'm still confident in the votes I have predicted, but my pithy commentary is a little stale. I'm going to try to work on it this weekend.

And speaking of Sviggum, I have heard that he spoke at a breakfast this morning with Senate Majority Leader Dean Johnson, and he said that the Twins and Gophers have stadium priority over the Vikings. I know, this is stunning news, but I thought I would just mention that Sviggum does appear to have the Twins on his mind. I'll take that as a positive, no matter how small it is.

• The more I think about this stadium mess, and how T-Paw screwed the pooch by not getting this bill done last year, the more ticked off I become. Because of this delay, the stadium will cost at least $30 million more? Ouch, ouch, ouch. I can't help but think this will be brought up over and over and over again as we battle through the legislature this year. $30 million. Who is going to pay for it? Probably the County, and for that reason this will be a really sticky issue. Thanks a lot T-Paw.

• More later. I've got some interesting news on the state law that supposedly requires a referendum. It seems there is room for interpretation (as always). Until next time...

Posted by snackeru at February 10, 2006 12:52 PM | Stadiums

Why no love for T-Paw, a zesty Italian much like myself? You have a thing against Italians. I bet you lika your meatball and pizza smart boy.

I think you, how you say, flaming of T-Paw is unfair. How many governor come and go since the Twinky go indoors and start belly-aching about stadium? Twenty-year, no? Many governor had chance to build new stadium at fraction of today cost, no? Why no hatred against them? Because they not Italino? New Twinky stadium could have been had many year ago under different governor so why place all balls in one bucket and single out my main skiing partner T-Paw.

I find my Italian granny and place a curse on you and your whole family.

Kapesh?

Posted by: Alberto Tomba at February 11, 2006 11:06 AM

Yeah, St. Paul really has some weenie leadership right now. Just look at the struggle to put a dike around the downtown airport. That is why St. Paul will never make a serious run for a ballpark. When the Mayor bows down to the "Friends of the Mississippi" who are worried about creating flooding elsewhere. That river has been diked, dredged and locked beyond recognition over the years. Why not save some jobs and keep a corporate base in the City?
How I long for smilin' Norm Colman.
-Jiminstpaul

Posted by: Jiminstpaul at February 12, 2006 9:24 PM