< Yes, it is cold | Main | The Vastness of Space >

My favorite songs right now

Like I said in the previous post, I have an iPod, but one thing I have done very little of is use the playlist creation function of this handy little piece of hardware. I've been listening to some new (for me) music lately so I thought I would put together a new playlist so I could listen to these new gems without having to search for them all the time. I know, I'm quite the technological genius, but I've been satisfied with the shuffle function for so long that I never really considered this. Anyway, here is what I'm digging right now:

1. "Gideon" by My Morning Jacket
    This is an oddly powerful song. I really enjoy it.
  2. "Lightening Blue Eyes" by The Secret Machines
    This is from their upcoming album "Ten Silver Drops" (graciously given to me by Jim in St. Paul). Strangely enough, the album only has 8 songs, and this is probably the best. Fantastic. If you haven't heard it yet, you will.
  3. "Upon the Tidal Wave of Young Blood" by Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
    Oh yes, I'll definitely say "Yeah!" with an emphatic exclamation point at the end. I'm not sure the singer would win any "American Idol" contests anytime soon, but the song is a real toe tapper.
  4. "Lazer Beam" by the Super Furry Animals
    I just love the beginning to this song. Good effects and guitar work from this Welsh band. It has a very 1970s feel to it.
  5. "He Woke Me Up Again" by Sufjan Stevens
    He woke me up again to say hallelujah ... I wish I knew more about what this song is about. It is beautiful. Sufjan Stevens is the master of the understated banjo. I can't believe this is a good thing.
  6. "The W.A.N.D." by The Flaming Lips
    I'm trying to get into the new Lips album At War With the Mystics. This is the first single. It is good, but like any Lips effort it takes a while to get used to. Very creative.
  7. "Dead Man's Rope" by Sting
    I love this song. It certainly has a religious theme which I always gravitate towards, and it reminds me a little of "I Still Haven't Found" in that the narrator is searching. A good contemporary gospel song.

That's all for now. There is more, but you get the idea.

Posted by snackeru at February 17, 2006 2:49 PM | Lists

I've tried and tried to enjoy Sufjan Stevens but I just can't, I do have to admit that Chicago is an amazingly good song.

I love walking around walking around/riding bus with Flaming Lips on the Ipod. Everything around you is normal and serene while this mindf**k music is blasting through your brain.

Posted by: freealonzo at February 18, 2006 10:14 AM