< OK OK OK ... | Main | Yes, it is cold >

Random musings

• First of all, I've been quoted! There is a great story about the wonder that is UThink in the Minnesota Daily today. Sometimes the Daily staff really messes things up, but I must say I am very impressed with this article. No errors, and I think it concisely captures the essence of class blogging though the UThink system. Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with it.

• Now, I shall answer/comment on freealonzo's suggestions for non-stadium related content for the Greet Machine:

Star Wars vs. Lord of the Rings
For me, the winner is clear: Lord of the Rings. I don't think there has ever been a better trilogy. The orginal Star Wars trilogy was a big part of my childhood, but Lucas has really screwed it up with the prequels. Revenge of the Sith was good, but not anywhere near as good as Empire Strikes Back.

Gopher hockey
Truly, I am cursed to live in a state that is so hockey crazy. Having said that, though, I must say I am warming up to Gopher hockey. For example, I know I'll be watching the game tonight. There is something about college hockey that is way, way, way more exciting than the pro game. I will never claim to be an expert on hockey in general, but I love the Golden Gophers.

Liberal v. Conservative Christians
Now you are just trying to get me in trouble. But I'll play along. Jesus was liberal. He did not follow the rules. He turned both the old covenant and the law on its head. Jesus mentioned the poor and needy hundreds of times. He did not mention anything about homosexuality, tax cuts, or assasinating foreign leaders. Love the Lord God with all your heart, and love your neighbor as yourself. If only. The world would be a better place.

Does Jesse Ventura now like V.P. Cheney because he's hunted man?
Yes. Actually, I thought this was so hilarious I really don't know what I can add to it. Nice one, freealonzo.

Pinewood derby speed tips
You want a fast car? Focus on the wheels. Make sure the tops are angled slightly outwards, and especially make sure all the wheels are symetrically balanced with each other (are they all touching the track at the same time at all times?). Then, soak the axles in graphite. Not the white stuff either. I'm talking the real graphite. Buy some graphite during the summer because around Pinewood Derby time you won't be able to find any in the stores. Lastly, put the weight towards the front of the car. Follow my advice, and you too might be a winner.

Dumb Kevin McHale trades and/or NBA rule changes
I don't know how McHale can ever top the stupidity of Marko Jaric for Sam Cassell and a first round draft pick. That is the winner, hands down. And the NBA rule I hate the most is the defensive three second rule. Stupid. Almost makes Minnesota state legisltators look intelligent.

RSS and Movable Type 4.xxx primers
If Six Apart releases Movable Type 4 anytime soon I will fly out to San Francisco and personally open a can of whoop ass on Ben Trott. It took us forever to get MT 3.2 up, I am not overly enthused about having to go through that any time soon. And I like RSS. So, you can mark me down as being in favor of that technology.

Stratego reenactments
My cat peed all over my Stratego game, so there won't be any reenactments of that game for a while.

Worst/Best concerts
Best concert I ever saw was U2 last September. Just marvelous. Second best would be Pink Floyd in 1995 (?). I was in the 12th row. 3rd best would have to be Page/Plant in 1996 (?). Lots of good Zeppelin songs (although I could have done without all of Page's drooling).

Worst concert I have ever been to was the Rolling Stones Bridges to Babylon tour at the Dome. Horrible sound and we were way too far away. I was just not impressed.

So, there you have it. Anything else anone wants to know about?

Posted by snackeru at February 17, 2006 8:24 AM | Life

I think the defensive three second rule is all right. I like that teams can play zone now. It eliminates the two man game and isolation plays that dominated play before that. The three second defensive rule prevents big guys from camping in the lane and allows for more penetration by slashers. If a player is within arm's length of an offensive player, he can stay in the lane all night (or until the shot clock runs out).

The Jaric/Cassell trade was a doozy, no doubt about it. Straight up, it's a terrible trade. If the #1 pick had come this way, it would have made more sense. But, to send a #1 that way? Fleeced by Elgin Baylor. Wow.

Posted by: SBG at February 17, 2006 9:17 AM

Jeez, I thought I'd given Greet Machine a week's worth of material and you move through it in one post.

Hard to choose best concert. Worst was definitely STYX at the old Met, Summer of 1981. I went with a girlfriend who loved it. The concert sucked so bad I had to break up with her even though she brought two extremely positive attributes to that relationship :o)

LOTR wins over Star Wars although I was literally in tears when Obi Wan turned his back on the butchered Anikin and left him to die by a pool of lava and later when Obi Wan brought baby Luke to Uncle Owen and he was on that ridge looking at the two suns setting, Luke's theme welling up on the soundtrack.

Jaric trade - not much more I can add.

Posted by: freealonzo at February 17, 2006 10:22 AM

Of course, we signed Jaric to the 6/40 deal after the trade, right? If Jaric was on a one-year deal, it wouldn't be nearly so bad -- it would essentially have been an attempt to shake things up and get younger. But with that contract... it's awful beyond imagination. We would have been much better off keeping Cassell and letting his contract expire this year.

Posted by: spycake at February 17, 2006 10:47 AM

Best concert? Springsteen. Hands down. The guy has so much energy his customers are begging for mercy."Stop already, we have to go to work in the morning."

Our hockey is a blessing. Gopher hockey is the jewel of the MN sport scene. Great building, olympic ice-sheet, wide open style of play, great tradition, the vehicle behind America's greatest sporting moment, winning team every year, and the two best programs in all of college hockey going at it this weekend. Good stuff.

Posted by: stiff at February 17, 2006 11:01 AM

At the risk of starting a religious debate, I'm not sure it serves any useful purpose to try to classify Jesus as either a liberal or a conservative. I certainly wouldn't imagine that he though of himself in either of those terms. It seems like the Pharisees sometimes tried to pigeonhole him in that way, but each time they did, Jesus would throw them a curve that confused them completely.

Jesus simply was who he was. To believers, what he was is beyond our ability to fully comprehend it. It would seem that calling him "liberal" or "conservative" kind of misses the point.

Posted by: Jeff A at February 17, 2006 1:51 PM

You might be right SBG. My argument is if you are going to allow zone defenses, then allow them full force. Besides, we really don't know that big men would just camp in the lane. The rule was a pre-emptive strike against that probability. Also, a good shooting team would be able to punish a team for camping someone in the lane.

And don't get me wrong, I love Gopher hockey. It is nice that Minnesota can be dominant in something. I just wish it was a sport I was more interested in.

Posted by: Shane at February 17, 2006 1:55 PM

Jeff, yes, you are probably correct. Jesus would have some strong words for both conservatives and liberals. But I would still argue, from a purely semantic point of view (not political), that Jesus could not be labeled as conservative. He changed the world. You can't do that by sticking with the status quo.

Posted by: Shane at February 17, 2006 1:58 PM

Where's the bunnies, chickens and giraffes?

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at February 17, 2006 3:17 PM

I think defensive 3 seconds is necessary. Yes, it is kind of dumb, but in reality it is that, or "illegal defense." The NBA is always going to have a premium on scoring, so they're never going to allow straight-up zone defense. At least with the zone + defensive 3 seconds combo we know when there is a violation, versus "illegal defense" where no one knows anything.

Posted by: TwinsJunkie at February 18, 2006 11:49 AM

Posted by: TwinsJunkie at February 18, 2006 11:50 AM

Posted by: TwinsJunkie at February 18, 2006 11:51 AM

I can't believe you hated the Stones concert so much. And we would have had better seats if you hadn't been so cheap! (At least this is how I remember it) Yes, the sound was horrible, but at least they played the songs the audience wanted to hear! Unlike Page/Plant who did not play Rock and Roll, Stairway, the Ocean, Over the Hills and Far Away, etc., and only gave us two verses of Ramble On! It was great to see them up close, but the song selection was horrible.

LOTR absolutely kills Star Wars. The acting, plot, action, and dialogue are all superior. I was just watching Episode III last night when I wished I could have seen it through the eyes of a 12 year old. The magic that was there for me when I was younger and saw Episodes 4-6, simply wasn't there for any of the prequels.

I also think you should expand on the whole McHale thing and create an all time list of worst Timberwolves players. Who starts at center: Gary Leonard or Stojko Vrankovic? And of course we're still looking forward to your views on Intelligent Design...

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at February 19, 2006 12:49 PM