< Links of the day | Main | Tough week >

We'll miss you, Kirby

puckett.jpg

It has been hard to think about anything else. This has hit me harder than I thought it would. I'll miss you Kirby. Thanks for everything.

Posted by snackeru at March 6, 2006 9:12 PM

absolutely heart wrenching....if anything, at least he won't have to be here with the rest of us when we lose our baseball team..

Rest In Peace Puckster...

Posted by: kevin in az at March 6, 2006 11:58 PM

Sucks to lose the great ones.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at March 7, 2006 8:12 AM

Words can not describe how much Kirby Puckett meant to anyone growing up in Minnesota in the 1980s and 90s. I will treasure the memories I have of watching him play. My favorite memory is turning to Shane after The Catch in Game Six and saying "Holy ####! He caught it!" This was followed several innings later by both Shane and I dancing around like crazy men following the homer. Kirby will never be forgotten!

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at March 7, 2006 8:28 AM

There was something magical about Kirby.

Posted by: Tim R at March 7, 2006 8:43 AM

He was the greatest Twin their ever was, and ever will be.

Posted by: Kurtis at March 7, 2006 11:40 AM

I too loved Puckett when I was younger. It is sad that he died. After reading these comments, however, it is amazing how blinded some of you people are. Puckett was not perfect by any means. He had trouble with spousal abuse charges and with charges that he grabbed women. This is nothing to worship.

What really gets me is that he died so young. The average age for a male in the U.S. is 72-74 years. He died at 46. Has anyone wondered if maybe his excessive lifestyle led to this premature death? Athletes are know for their drug abuse, orgies (as we have seen here), alcohol abuse, and the lavish lives they live. Maybe some of you should consider that Puckett wasn't so much a hero, but a person who had a talent. Unfortunately for him, his talent couldn't undo the damage his lifestyle caused him. It's too bad, I loved him when I was a child, but now I see him for what he was, not a sports god, but a human who had more problems than he ultimately could handle.

Posted by: time for reflection at March 7, 2006 5:29 PM

well whatever "lavish lifestyle" traits Kirby adapted, I doubt any of them lead to his death. Quite simply he let himself go, when you weigh excess 400 pounds, your going to be in danger no matter what you do in your free time. I was a little disapointed when I read that Sports Illustrated article in 2001, but that still dosnt take away what he did for the comunity. He came and spoke at my elementry school when I was a kid, and his message "Be everything you can be" is still something I try to live by. Everyone in that building felt like he was talking one on one with them. He spoke to people witht the same energy he played the game with. I truly doubt that anyone loved playing baseball more than Kirby did. To me, Kirby represents some of the fondest moments of my childhood. I'll never forget that catch he made in Game 6 or the Homerun a few hours later. But I also won't forget going to the games on sundays with my dad, sitting in the "Homerun Poarch" and seeing Kirby patroling center feild - usually with that contagious smile on his face. That's what I'll remember the most about Kirby. I can't believe he's gone, nor can I believe how hard it's been to say goodbye

Posted by: bluecorps at March 7, 2006 7:44 PM

time for reflection (if that is your *real* name), here's hoping that when all of our times come that people choose to focus on the good we've done and not the bad. Clearly the man had multiple dimensions, some of them quite ugly, but there will be time enough for that.

Posted by: Neil at March 8, 2006 7:47 AM

Thanks Neil. I would hope that we could all take some time to celebrate Kirby's life and try to focus on the positive. Because there are a lot of positives to talk about.

Posted by: Shane at March 8, 2006 8:19 AM

We must judge Kirby, and anyone else for that matter, for the sum total of what they accomplished and the lives they touched. Yes, Kirby appeared to have a dark side (although it should be remembered that he was found not guilty in a court of law), but I would assert that he positively effected many more lives than he effected negatively. He was a great baseball player, and I will miss him.

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at March 8, 2006 8:20 AM

I suspect that none of us reading this actually knew Kirby. He was obviously a mixture of good and bad, just as we all are. Death doesn't make any of us better than we were, but there are good reasons for the tradition of not speaking ill of the dead. If you are a believer, you know that Kirby will be judged by someone far better suited to do so than you or I, just as we all will. If you are not, well, Kirby is dead now, and none of our judgments really make a lot of difference anyway at this point.

Posted by: Jeff A at March 8, 2006 9:28 AM

I have three words for you, Shane:

"Kirby Puckett Ballpark"

Posted by: Kurtis at March 8, 2006 11:49 AM

Lets just say.....Kirby, ur in a better place now

Posted by: Ben Graf at March 9, 2006 5:58 PM