< Phoning it in: Erin Go Bragh! | Main | Pogemiller and the Senate Taxes Committee >

The rumors of my pride have been greatly exaggerated

shanebells.jpg

This weekend I attended a silent auction fundraiser for my kids' school, Park Spanish Immersion. The auction was at the Calhoun Beach Club which is a pretty fancy place and everyone was dressed to the nines. Now, I'm not what you would call a "heavy hitter." My pockets definitely don't "run deep." In fact, I didn't win one of the things I bid on because the bids just got way too high. But one thing I can do is give my time. So, I worked as a staff volunteer at the auction.

One of my jobs, as you can see, was to walk around this with this sign 15 minutes before the tables closed on the "Library" level of the auction. This was a job my wife had originally signed up for, but once she started she found that the task was too mortifyingly embarrassing, so she handed it off to me.

The sign was on a tall poll with bells on the bottom that rang incessantly as I walked. But did I care? No! I walked around with that sign with a huge grin. I yelled, "Fifteen minutes to get your bids in!" I gave people the "wink and the gun" as I went by. I actually had a good time doing this. I am happy to report that after getting married and having three kids, my pride is nowhere to be found. You think I look goofy? I honestly don't care. The next thing on my list is mowing the lawn in a white t-shirt and black socks. No one can stop me!

I have discovered that I am now at the age where I can really start embarrassing my kids without worrying about myself! Life is definitely good.

More when I got time.

Posted by snackeru at March 20, 2006 8:20 AM | Life

i think you look really cute--love, mom

Posted by: Anonymous at March 20, 2006 9:22 AM

I think you look really cute too! --love, Tim R

Posted by: Anonymous at March 20, 2006 10:22 AM

Adorable is more like it!!!
What a goofy grin.

Posted by: Cheesehead's Wife at March 20, 2006 12:18 PM

Is it just me, or does the guy in the purple shirt look like Rich Gannon? This could explain why you were out-bid on so much stuff!

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at March 21, 2006 11:48 AM

I often think of something a friend of mine once said: "The first few times you do something like that, you're scared to death you'll make a fool of yourself. But after you've made a fool of yourself a few times, you realize it really isn't that big of a deal."

Posted by: Jeff A at March 21, 2006 4:01 PM