< Boondoggle inspector | Main | Songs that have to be played back-to-back >

Not feeling it today

I'm not feeling it today. So, here are some quick thoughts before I move on:

I'm in the Star Tribune today in an article about the wonder that is UThink. They did a pretty nice job with it.

• The Gopher's men's hockey team disappointed me. I know that is an understatement, but what a phenomenal collapse these last two weeks. Like the saying goes, "That is why they play the games."

• Garnett's recent locker room chat sessions are scaring me a little bit. If he ever left ... wow. I'm not sure what the NBA would mean to me anymore. And SBG probably has more to say about this than me, but is it even possible to reuinte Steph with KG on either the Knicks or the T-Wolves? Doesn't the salary cap situation of both teams make it nearly impossible?

• I watched Good Night and Good Luck last night and I thought it was pretty good. Not as exciting as I thought it would be, but a good treatment of what it means to dissent without being disloyal. It surely is no coincidence that Clooney would choose to make this movie now with talk concerning what it means to be "patriotic." However, it also got me thinking about the power of the media today vs. the 1950s. In the 50s there were three major networks, and then, of course, all the major newspapers. I would wager that back then the media was much more powerful in swaying public opinion than it is now because 1) there is less to choose from and 2) so much news happens live today that we can (we should) form our own opinions before we are swayed by editorializing journalists. Concerning point number 1, though, we have so much news coming at us today from 24 hour news channels (of varying political persuasions), internet sites (like blogs and the like), and the tried and true network news and newspapers, that news today is less about finding the truth, and more about finding the angle you want to see the "truth" through.

I guess what I'm saying is that Murrow would have less impact today because people have more choice concerning the news they want to hear, and they are more entrenched in their viewpoints because of it.

• I saw a lacrosse game at the Xcel Energy Center this weekend. No one was protesting outside of the arena and people seemed pretty happy inside the arena too. I guess giving "free money" to millionaires is OK in this instance.

• Finally, this weekend it was announced that our esteemed legislators have come up with a new plan to build a new Gophers stadium that will cost less in yearly student fees, but retain corporate naming rights for TCF.

I am so jaded at this point that I can only think of one thing to say: I'll believe it when I see it. We haven't seen the last of the problems for this bill.

Over and out.

Posted by snackeru at March 27, 2006 8:21 AM | Life | Stadiums 2006 | UThink

While I was not in attendance at the NCAA Hockey West Regional (at the fabulous Ralph Engelstad Arena in Grand Forks), I was shocked that the Gophers lost to Holy Cross. The best sign that I heard about:

"Jesus hates Gophers"

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at March 27, 2006 8:50 AM

Nice Strib article and pic. Needless to say, these must be Shane's salad days (ballpark notwithstanding). In last couple of months Shane gets to touch the little brown jug, see U2, get mad props for his legislative guide to the twins ballpark, and play basketball at the site of a NCAA regional. Now the Strib. Obviously page 3 on the business section is just a start, where else will we see Shane in the Strib:

1. Shane declares his candidacy for Martin Sabo's seat.

2. Nick "Gollum" Coleman responds in his column to Shane's taunts.

3. Katherine Kersten writes a column about the backyard battle as an example of how all urban youth should settle their differences instead of through gang violence.

4. Shane writes a nasty letter to the Strib when the legislator and governor once again screw up the twins ballpark deal.

5. Obituary.

My money is on Number 2.

btw, the Gophers deal is the real thing, look for a final vote next week.

Posted by: freealonzo at March 27, 2006 9:08 AM

Well, Shane, the Wolves can make that trade regardless of their salary cap situation. All they have to do is send approximately $17 million worth of players to New York. As I wrote today, they are interested in Jaric and Hassell. Between those two guys, they are pulling in about $12 million. Throw in Troy Hudson, and I think we have a salary match. Who wouldn't do that just to unload those three contracts?

Posted by: SBG at March 27, 2006 11:52 AM

Hilarious, freealonzo. Yes, my influence grows, but still no new stadiums are yet being constructed?!?!? Don't they know how famous I am? Don't famous people usually get whatever they want? It is very frustrating for a famous person like me. Regarding your list:

No way. I don't want idiots like me calling me a moron all the time. Does that make sense?

Wow, I hope not. I would probably have to move or something. Anti-stadium zealots would come out of the woodwork then. Hopefully he still considers me too small a fish.

Except her column would also focus on how I am getting crushed by Cheesehead Craig. That is just plain embarrassing.

This is a given, although they have yet to print any of my contributions! There is a conspiracy!

5. Obituary.

This is spooky to think about. Thanks for freaking me out, freealonzo!

Posted by: Shane at March 27, 2006 2:31 PM

Re: Media influence. I don't disagree with anything you said, but would also point out that it is much easier now to pay no attention to the news whatsoever.

When I was a kid, and all you had to watch were the networks, the national news was on all the stations at 5:30 and the local news was on all the stations at 6 and 10. If the TV was on during those hours, you would get some news, and even if you weren't particularly interested, some of it would soak through by osmosis.

Similarly, back then, all the radio stations had a top of the hour national news break, and most of them had a bottom of the hour local news break. This was true even of the rock stations. Again, even if you didn't care much about the news, some would soak in.

Now, while we have 24-hour news on both TV and radio, we also have many stations that have no news whatsoever. You can be more informed than ever before, but it is also easier to be completely ignorant than ever before. Just something to think about.

Posted by: Jeff A at March 27, 2006 3:34 PM

Congrats on the Strib appearance, Shane. Hopefully you're not going all "mainstream media" on us!

And I know you're cautiously guarded regarding your stadium optimism these days, but I think this latest proposal should push the Gophers stadium bill over the top -- it gives another incentive to the state and reduces the student fee burden (the other Pogemiller concern). The naming rights thing was probably just a bump in the road.

I still think the Twins and Vikings need to make some similar public concession to get the momentum to do their deals quickly. No amount of PR is going to convince people either way on this issue anymore. Speaking of Twins, doesn't T-Paw have to do something to get the ball rolling again...? Or is it up to the legislature?

Posted by: spycake at March 27, 2006 3:36 PM

Also, I agree with Jeff on his above point that "it is much easier now to pay no attention to the news whatsoever." Not only is it easy to avoid news programs, there are now pseudo-news outlets (talk radio, certain unmentionable cable "news" channels...) that essentially "report" one point of view constantly. Even our elected officials are insulating themselves with this. With all of our entertainment options, very few people seek out the news anymore, and even fewer make an effort to find unbiased sources that might challenge them.

Posted by: spycake at March 27, 2006 3:46 PM

All I can say is, thank goodness there were no pictures of you in the Strib. (Shudder)

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at March 27, 2006 9:27 PM

There was a picture of me in the print version! So there! And people were very happy about it! (well, my mom was...)

Posted by: Shane at March 27, 2006 9:33 PM