< Not feeling it today | Main | Nothing to worry about apparently ... >

Songs that have to be played back-to-back

So, I was traveling in my car to someplace last week (can't remember where) when the radio started to play "Need You Tonight" by INXS. Whenever I hear this song on the radio I can only think of two things: 1) wow, I love this song! and 2) they better play "Mediate" next. Do you know what I mean? On the INXS album Kick, "Need You Tonight" and "Mediate" appear back-to-back, and radio stations have always played them like they were a part of the same song (which they kind of are). Anyway, it got me to thinking about what other song combos are always played back-to-back on the radio? What song combos should always be played back-to-back?

1. "Need You Tonight"/"Mediate" by INXS -- I'll put this first because I have already talked about it.
  2. "The Happiest Days Of Our Lives"/"Another Brick In The Wall Part 2" by Pink Floyd -- Do people even realize these are separate songs?
  3. "We Will Rock You"/"We Are the Champions" by Queen -- Should always be played together, never apart.
  4. "Heartbreaker"/"Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman)" by Led Zeppelin -- I don't think I have ever heard these two songs separated on the radio
  5. "Eruption"/"You Really Got Me" by Van Halen -- You might hear "You Really Got Me" alone, but never "Eruption" alone.
  6. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"/"With a Little Help from My Friends" by The Beatles -- Again, they just go together like peanut butter and jelly
  7. "Brain Damage"/"Eclipse" by Pink Floyd -- There are probably more like this from Floyd, but you can't have "Brain Damage" without the climax of "Eclipse." They shouldn't even be separate songs.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Any that I have missed?

Posted by snackeru at March 27, 2006 12:45 PM | Lists

Do you count Jesus of Suburbia and Death of St. Jimmy from American Idiot or are those "suites?"

Also once on my I-Pod I shuffled all my Led Zeppelin songs and Livin' Lovin' Maid came on sans Heartbreaker, it was really weird.

Posted by: freealonzo at March 27, 2006 1:25 PM

Some entire albums of Pink Floyd shouldn't be played apart.

Posted by: bjhess at March 27, 2006 4:23 PM

Green Day - Brain Stew/Jaded off of Insomniac are like this.

Posted by: Tim at March 27, 2006 5:38 PM

Load out / Stay - Jackson Brown
China Cat Sunflower / I know you Rider - Greatful Dead

Posted by: Bobio at March 27, 2006 7:50 PM

what do you think of that land swap deal the UM is proposing for a stadium? Pretty creative. I think they will do that deal - my gut tells me anyway. Perhaps Old Carl should be using a different currency - not cash, but land or other "favors to the state" He must own something the state or "the public" wants. Land ornew buildings at the UM or something? He foreclosed on nearly everyone that has ever lived in the state.

Posted by: Bobio at March 27, 2006 7:57 PM

Bobio, thanks for the addition/comment. I'm checking into your idea. Does Pohlad own something the state could want? Sid kind of alluded to that today too... Hmmmm...

Posted by: Shane at March 27, 2006 9:34 PM

Maybe something like what the Yankees just offered, some extra money for local youth sports etc. Right now the Twins proposal has the team contributing $250k yearly towards this, versus up to $2 mil from the county (depending on bond revenue). It might help just to see those those numbers reversed.

Posted by: spycake at March 28, 2006 9:10 AM

"Broken" and "Head Over Heels" by Tears for Fears. "Head over Heels" seems like an interlude in "Broken," which precedes and follows it on the album. Radio play usually starts at the beginning of "Head over Heels," then plays through, as "Broken" is recapitulated. Sometimes they stop abruptly at the end of "Head over Heels," but it feels painfully unresolved.

Posted by: ss at March 28, 2006 1:27 PM

Summer of 69 and Jack and Diane

Can you just imagine all the people driving off bridges to make the sound go away?

Posted by: Anonymous at March 28, 2006 1:58 PM

Hmmm ... that isn't really in the spirit of my original post (being songs by two different artists), but your hatred of these songs is noted. As I've said before, thank goodness Mark McGwire didn't stop at 69...

Posted by: Shane at March 28, 2006 3:59 PM

I gotta go Pearl Jam
"Evenflow" (Live version) followed by "Once".

Granted, they are not back-to-back on an album, but two of my favorite songs.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at March 28, 2006 4:51 PM

As a matter of fact, I made a LZep tape for my brother once and I split Heartbreaker and Living Loving Maid. I put Ramblin' On right after Heartbreaker and it worked pretty well.

Posted by: SBG at March 29, 2006 6:57 AM

Side two of the Beatles' Abbey Road... too obvious?

Posted by: spycake at March 31, 2006 11:33 AM