< When going to the game was an event | Main | Let the games begin >

Watching the Senate committee hearing ...

Oh yes, I am in heaven. Watching legislative committee hearings is like heroin, and I am a junkie. If you would like to be similarily entertained, point your browser to this link:

Senate State and Local Government Operations Committee (RealMedia)

So far, the Senate bill SF2297 has been received very favorably. In fact, the committee chairwoman, Linda Higgins, has already made an off-handed comment that she hopes the Twins and Hennepin County will put together a new agreement after this hearing is over. Mike Opat commented that if the committee recommended that as the next course of action that they would do that. Yes, the ball is rolling.

The building unions are testifying now. The AFL-CIO is very much in favor of the bill, as is expected.

More as the hearings go on (or if anyone says anything interesting).

UPDATE: Dick Day has just said Minnesotans are asking him to vote in favor of this bill, and he is going to do that when he gets a chance.

UPDATE II: Chairwoman Higgins just proposed an amendment to name the ballpark "Kirby Puckett Park." A good idea, don't get me wrong, but 1) the Twins are not going to like this one, and 2) I would rather the state got some naming rights money than making this mistake ... Yep, Bell is very diplomatically voicing his displeasure, beginning by saying, "I'm not going to oppose this amendment. I'm not as stupid as I look."

UPDATE III: Senator Tomassoni!! My new hero! Don't you agree spycake?

UPDATE IV: Senator Dibble just proposed an amendment to raise a half-cent sales tax metro wide. Oh please no ... Good, Kelly is against the idea. Boy, we sure don't need to muddle this up further.

Spycake, if you are still reading and watching, I have to go pick up my wife now. So, I'm going to be gone for about a half an hour (8:15 - 8:45). If anything of note happens while I am gone, please leave me a comment! Thanks!

UPDATE V: Well, the bill passed (as amended) but I missed the vote! Shoot. Oh well, onto the Senate Taxes committee...

Posted by snackeru at April 3, 2006 6:33 PM | Stadiums 2006

Thanks for the tip, I'm watching right now!

Posted by: spycake at April 3, 2006 7:34 PM

Jerry Bell just gave a pretty weak-ass answer to a proposed "Kirby Puckett Park" amendment. Just say you want to sell the naming rights to the highest bidder, dang it!

(To paraphrase, he said, "We've had a lot of good players over the years, and the Hall of Fame requires you wait at least 5 years for induction to allow some objective perspective. We ask that everybody take that into consideration.")

It's this kinda of shady obfuscation (if not outright dishonesty) that makes it hard for me to really get behind this proposal, even after I've accepted a lot of the principles of the deal...

Posted by: spycake at April 3, 2006 7:41 PM

I agree, pretty weak answer. He probably just should have said, "We want the money." In the end, though, I think everyone knows that already.

Posted by: Shane at April 3, 2006 7:45 PM

Who voted against it? Did the vote follow your legislative guide?

What was the amendment?

What is the bill number?

Posted by: freealonzo at April 4, 2006 7:24 AM