< Greet Machine on Sports Huddle? | Main | Watching the Senate committee hearing ... >

When going to the game was an event

Take a look at this picture. This is a picture of fans at Memorial Stadium circa 1930s-1940s. This has probably been discussed before in other publications or blogs even, but I am always amazed at what an "event" a football game was back then. Almost everyone is dressed up in a suit and tie, almost all the men are wearing hats. How relatively quickly things change. We would never see this kind of dress at the Metrodome today, at least not where it is the norm.

Click image for larger

Posted by snackeru at April 3, 2006 11:08 AM | Sports

Great photo Shane! Where did you locate it?

I have been thinking of going with a purple suit, purple tie and purple pork-pie hat for the Vikes games this coming season. This photo encourages me to pursue that angle.

Love the guy in the checkered shirt in the front row looking at the everyone as if, "y'all are crazy". I'd love to sit him next to me today!

Posted by: MrCheerOrDIe at April 3, 2006 2:03 PM

That is a nice photo. From what I've seen, that was the standard apparel at most sporting events of the time, correct? And pretty much any other public event too? Heck, Ward Cleaver wore his suit to bed.

What's the definitive modern dress code for football games? Zubaz?

Posted by: spycake at April 3, 2006 4:28 PM

The Greet Machine is Zubaz-free. Check with Mr. Cheer or Die for that info and more sartorial tips.

Posted by: chapman at April 4, 2006 10:52 AM