< Let the games begin | Main | Quick Update: Ballpark Rally >

Paul Giel, you should be ashamed of yourself...

memorial-sm.jpg
Click for larger

Hindsight is 20/20, but this place should have never been torn down. Renovated? Yes. Revered? Most definitely, but not torn down. Dumbest decision the U has ever made.

Posted by snackeru at April 4, 2006 3:41 PM | Stadiums 2006

Amen! Great picture though!

Posted by: Moe at April 4, 2006 4:21 PM

Little known fact: The last Minnesota Kicks game was played at Memorial Stadium (I was there). A NASL playoff game conflicted with a Vike's preseason game at the Met so the Kicks got bumped to the U.
-Jiminstpaul

Posted by: jiminstpaul at April 5, 2006 3:20 AM

I grew up near South Bend. Notre Dame did a really nice job of renovating and expanding their classic horseshoe stadium.

I used to work at the Ohio State University. They also upgraded the old on-campus stadium.

And I remember when the Dome boosters -- including Sid Hartman -- were courting the U. Has Sid ever apologized?

Jim H.

Posted by: Jim H. at April 5, 2006 1:24 PM

If they hand't torn down the old stadium where would the U have put they gigantic piece of rusty metal that faces Oak Street?

In the U's continuing effort to fix what they did wrong, the House Ways and Means Committee passed the NEW stadium bill today and the whole House may still get to it later (Wednesday) today. This after the Commitee wisely decided not to link stadium financing and stem cell research together (don't ask). We could get a final bill on the Governor's desk by the Easter break!

Posted by: freealonzo at April 5, 2006 2:30 PM