< Quick Update: Ballpark Rally | Main | So the House can pass a stadium bill! >

You are invited!

PUBLIC RALLY FOR NEW TWINS BALLPARK

MONDAY, APRIL 10th 4:30-6:30 PM

Dear Baseball Fans,

It’s time to step up to the plate and be a part of Minnesota baseball history. You are invited to attend a public rally at the site of the proposed new ballpark to show your support for a new outdoor ballpark for the Minnesota Twins in downtown Minneapolis.

Join local dignitaries and celebrities for an afternoon celebrating the sport of baseball and showing support for a new ballpark. This grassroots level event will celebrate baseball at its purest level, Little League.

It’s the bottom of the ninth and the public push is on to rally for support of a new ballpark just west of Target Center in Minneapolis’ Warehouse District. A Little League diamond has been set up and Little League players will get the chance to be among the first to take a swing from home plate on the proposed site of the new ballpark.

No R.S.V.P. is required. Just show up, have fun, celebrate America’s pastime, and show your support for baseball and a new outdoor ballpark for the Twins.

WHAT: Rally to Build a New Downtown Ballpark
WHEN: 4:30 – 6:30 p.m. Monday, April 10, 2006
WHERE: Proposed site of new ballpark, just northwest of Target Center in downtown Minneapolis at the corner of 3rd Avenue North and 5th Street. Parking at the site is free for this event.
WHY: To show the residents of Minnesota that baseball fans are united and ready to support a downtown ballpark.

Jim in St. Paul, haven't we always wondered about this? What will be the turnout? What are the organizers expecting? This will be too interesting to miss! So, even though I sounded wishy washy yesterday, you better believe I am going to be at this event. Let me know if you'll be there too!

A couple of good articles in the TC dailies today concerning stadium politics, the most interesting of which can be found in the Star Tribune: 3 stadium plans are in play at Capitol. Of course, I soak all of this stuff up like a sponge, but the most interesting piece of this article was this:

Sen. Don Betzold, DFL-Fridley, chief Senate sponsor of the Vikings stadium bill, meanwhile said that a move to combine the three stadium proposals into one legislative bill may occur and that keeping the proposals on separate tracks would be "problematic."

I would really like to know the thinking behind this because I don't think there would be anything more problematic than combining all three bills into one. There is no surer way to kill all of the proposals than combining them, in my opinion. Somebody please tell me if I'm wrong. All the proposals should be judged on their own merits, because truthfully they are all quite different, especially the Gophers bill. Get the Gophers out of the way so we can prove to ourselves that the sky doesn't fall when the legislature approves a stadium bill!

Finally, my new favorite senator (besides Steve Kelly) had this to say in the paper:

"We've had three stadium issues in front of us for a number of years. Once again, I think it's time to get these things done. The longer we wait, the more they cost," said Sen. David Tomassoni, DFL-Chisolm.

Amen. Let's save ourselves a lot of money in the long run and get these things done NOW. Is there enough political willpower? We shall see on April 19th.

As you probably know, I have heard the House Taxes committee will hear the Twins bill on April 19th. If you have some time today, please drop them all an email. If the bill can get through this committee, well ... I don't want to get ahead of myself.

Posted by snackeru at April 6, 2006 12:31 PM | Stadiums 2006

I agree on the assessment of Betzold's comments. He wants to be able to kill all the stadium deals at once by lumping them all together. There is no real logic to his statement by implying that they all would have the same financing, when it's been proven that they all have their own ideas and needs.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at April 6, 2006 4:29 PM

I think the people behind the three bills in one plan are trying to capitalize on the fact that the Gophers bill should be a slam dunk. Perhaps they think the momentum from the Gophers bill could carry the Twins and Vikes through. Wouldn't it be more difficult to vote against the Twins and Vikes when that also means a vote against the (state supported) Gophers? Just a thought.

I also couldn't help but notice the very intelligent quote from the senator from Chisolm. My gosh, those people up on the Iron Range are smart!

Curt in Grand Forks (proud son of a Ranger)

Posted by: Curt Hanson at April 7, 2006 9:01 AM