< An Open Letter to Nick Coleman | Main | More stuff no one will probably want to read >

A beautiful day for outdoor baseball

Hello everyone! As promised, here are some pictures of the Twins Ballpark Rally held in downtown Minneapolis yesterday. It was a great event and I had a wonderful time watching some outdoor baseball provided by Little League players from across the Metro. I attended the event with my brother in law Tim, but while there I also met up with freealonzo (nice chatting with you!) and Jim in St. Paul. Of course, Jim in St. Paul was wearing his "St. Paul YES!" t-shirt to let everyone know he stil prefers a ballpark on the east side of the Mississippi, but his presence was very much appreciated to lend support to the current effort. Nice meeting you finally Jim! We've been at this a long time, and it looks like we've still got a ways to go.

This first picture is a view of what the skyline will look like from the new ballpark. Not too shabby:

View of skyline

Here is a view from the first base side. Note the "garbage burner" in the background. You'll be happy to hear that I wouldn't even have noticed it if someone didn't point it out to me. No smells whatsoever. Plus the back of the ballpark will tower over the facility.

View from first base

While at the rally we were treated to delicious snacks like cheesy popcorn and, of course, Cracker Jacks. Plus, the organizers handed out free pop. I chose to drink "Mountain Fury" because the name just sounded so cool, while Tim chose "Orange." I guess the makers of Roundy's pop ran out of creativity once they got past the name "Mountain Fury." And it is true, you probably can't top that name.

Beverages

It is difficult to say exactly where the ballpark will be situated. We all were trying to guess exactly where home plate will really be. Depending on where it is could change ever so slightly how the skyline looks from behind the plate:

Another view from behind home plate

After watching the Little Leaguers play for a while, there was some speechifying by various individuals who organized the event (nice job Mark Oyaas!) and then Mike Opat stepped up to the podium with his son. Opat, my hero, didn't say too much, but he did say that he is more optimistic than he has been for a while, so that was definitely nice to hear.

Mike Opat

And finally, your's truly even got some plugs for this here blog, the Greet Machine, and everything I've done with the Voter's Guide. Let me tell you, that was kind of weird seeing a sign for the Greet Machine. To go from having three readers (Curt in Grand Forks, Cheesehead Craig, and my mom) to having a sign for this blog at a ballpark rally is quite a thrill.

Google the Greet Machine

Hopefully this will be the last year any of us have to hear about stadium bills or ballpark rallys. Hopefully this will finally be the year that our legislature realizes they CAN do something, that they CAN pass a workable stadium bill and finally put this mess behind us. We shall see. As Bell says, optimism isn't a part of our vocabulary anymore, but after seeing some outdoor baseball at this great site yesterday, I still have a little hope.

Posted by snackeru at April 11, 2006 8:19 AM | Stadiums 2006

Hey, do I get some sort of prize for being listed as one of your longest readers? Fuddrucker's would be fine.

I neglected to watch Canadian TV last night, though I doubt the rally was covered. What kind of reporting did the rally get from Twin Cities media?

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at April 11, 2006 8:59 AM

It was one of the main stories on the local TV stations. I kept switching around stations to see if Shane would be on, but did see Jim in St. Paul on the number 11 (the shirt was the giveaway, assuming that he was the only one wearing it).

I agree with Kurt, Fuddruckers would be a wonderful reward for reading this site for so long.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at April 11, 2006 9:13 AM

Yeah, that was me on KARE 11 giving my "whole hearted" support to the ballpark (yes, really). What was left on the editing room floor was my response when the reporter asked me what I thought of the view. My answer was "I would like to see a river".
-Jiminstpaul

Posted by: Jiminstpaul at April 11, 2006 2:55 PM

Of course, Chipotle would be good. Perhaps consecutive meals from Fuddrucker's and Chipotle would suffice!

Curt in Grand Forks (where there is not a Fuddrucker's or Chipotle for many, many miles)

Posted by: Curt Hanson at April 11, 2006 3:10 PM

My apologies, I misspelled your name Jiminstpaul.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at April 11, 2006 3:12 PM

Ha! Both of you should be paying me for the quality writing I give you to read everyday!

The nerve of some people ... give them well-written prose everyday and they still want a burrito. Sheesh!

Posted by: Shane at April 11, 2006 3:33 PM

For the record, Cheezheadkraig, you mis-spelled my name, too. I think this should dis-qualify you from the "Original Greet Machine Readers" Luncheon.

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at April 11, 2006 4:31 PM

Um, if we're taking orders, I would like a Chipotle too.
Thanks

Posted by: Neil at April 12, 2006 8:15 AM

No, that was intentional Kert. :)

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at April 12, 2006 9:06 AM

I guess, I shouldn't be surprised, Mr. Wisconsin. "You people" (I am trying to sound like that wacky guy of a couple of weeks back) have been mis-spelling or mis-pronuncing "Favre" for years!

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at April 12, 2006 9:20 AM

"The nerve of some people ... give them well-written prose everyday and they still want a burrito. Sheesh!"

Welcome to my world. Oh, by the way, my mother has never read my site. And, it's not like she's computer illiterate. She just chooses not to.

Posted by: SBG at April 12, 2006 1:44 PM

Sheesh. I hate that ugly, old-meat-colored MultiFoods Tower being so prominent in the skyline. Almost completely blocks out the far more attractive Wells Fargo building behind it. It would be worth relocating the first base line several yards to the right just to get the Wells Fargo building in the shot.

Posted by: ss at April 17, 2006 2:15 PM