< I'm going to take some time to enjoy this | Main | Ways and Means Committee meeting time >

It is all about the Ways and Means Committee

• So, how was your weekend? Did you spend some time in the outdoors? Good, good ... Me? Oh mine was alright. I broke out the old barbeque on Sunday and grilled up some burgers ... ummmm ... pleasant weather we've been having, wouldn't you say? Although I heard there is a cold front moving in ... should be cold tonight .... (awkward silence .... ). Um, what else should we talk about?

ENOUGH! Enough of the niceties. Let's get down to business. There is a Twins stadium that needs passing and we are just the people that are going to make it happen! Today, the Ways and Means Committee will convene after the House floor session, so there is still time to let your voice be heard to the members of this committee. Check out this breakdown of the Ways and Means Committee. See all those question marks? In my opinion, these are the votes that could sway.

If you've got a second this morning, at the very least send these members of the committee an email gently persuading them to vote yes on the bill. Believe it or not, some representatives actually count up their yes and no emails so let your voice be heard! And for those of you that have already emailed the committee, if you have any insight into where the votes will go, please let me know!

I don't think the committee will actually vote on the bill tonight, I am thinking that will happen tomorrow, but I could be wrong. Anyway, it should be a lively debate again. I have the votes at 20 for and 18 against which means only one vote has to change to a no for the bill to be halted. This is important people!

That's all I've got time for, for now. More later ...

Posted by snackeru at April 24, 2006 8:16 AM | Stadiums 2006

Yes, Shane, I am very worried about what Ways and
Means will do to the Bill! Does anybody know the
Mpls. Reps on Ways and Means? Jean Wagenius,Karen
Clark and Neva Walker are all opposing the bill !!
IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!! THEY ALL HAVE A NUMBER OF
CONSTITUENTS WHO WILL LOSE THEIR JOBS IF THE METRODOME CLOSES AND THE TWINS LEAVE TOWN! Not to
mention the people who benefit from an improved block E and and sports entertainment district !!!

Posted by: jimj at April 24, 2006 1:27 PM

I'm afraid it does make sense. I live in Walker's district, and a legislative survey sent this spring by Walker, Clark, and Senator Linda Berglin showed -- yet again -- that two-thirds of their constituents oppose the deal. As for the number of people the Twins employ who live in their districts, I agree there may be a handful (after all that is all the Twins employ), but not enough to overcome the strong opposition among voters.

There are many things that do not make sense about the stadium tax bill. The opposition of those who are listening to their constituents is not one of them.

Posted by: David at April 24, 2006 3:32 PM