< Ways and Means Committee meeting time | Main | I could get used to this! >

Ways and Means Committee updates

UPDATE I: Well, here it is. 7:57 PM and Phil Krinkie has moved a referendum amendment. This is it people. If ithe bill can get past this, it will pass the committee. If not, well, that would suck. I will let you know ...

UPDATE II: The grandstanding is at the highest level I have ever seen. Ugh. Just vote for it or don't. Thank goodness Dorman is talking some sense. He is saying there isn't an 11th Commandment that says "Thou shalt have a referendum on all sales taxes." Hilarious. Stay tuned for the vote.

UPDATE III: The referendum amendment failed 17-15!!! It is looking good people, very, very good. Baseball in Minnesota lives another day! Oh man, I was shaking on this one.,,

UPDATE IV: Knoblach is trying to get the sales tax ememption on building materials lifted, an obvious attempt to punish someone for this bill. Rod Hamilton rightly pointed out that lifting the exemption of the sales tax on building materials will only raise the tax overall and that Hennepin County residents will have to pick up this extra $87 million. This is a phenomenally stupid amendment. I must admit I didn't fully understand it, but it was soundly defeated 9-26, with even a lot of anti-stadium legislator votes.

UPDATE V: Carlson is moving an amendment that would require MLB sign an agreement that would assure the Twins remain in Minnesota for at least 30 years. Finstad has offered to work with Carlson to craft something that would be amenable to MLB. The amendment was adopted. This is interesting. I'm not sure that MLB has ever done something like this before, and I would actually like to see it happen. We'll see how this shakes out. Could be problematic.

UPDATE VI: Paymar is moving an amendment that removes the requirement statewide for referendums on local option sales taxes. It is a "fariness" issue according to Paymar. If the Twins get an exemption why shouldn't everyone? Very interesting. It appears Paymar is just being snarky because even his colleagues seem to be against it. It has been soundly defeated. The more I think about it, the more I think this amendment would have made this bill tough to pass on the floor.

UPDATE VII: The amendments are over. The vote is coming. Interestingly enough, the Strib home page is already announcing "Twins stadium bill clears last House panel." Are they clairvoyant or something? I think they are mistaking the referendum vote for the vote on the actual bill. Idiots.

UPDATE VIII: Krinkie is moving to reconsider the referendum amendment. Wow. He is not going to make this easy. It was defeated again 16-18.

UPDATE VIII: There it is! Dorman has mentioned that the stadium should be built in St. Paul. There you go Jim in St. Paul. Dorman is also praising Rep. Kelliher for being the only Minneapolis legislator to support this bill. She responded by mentioning that their may be one other Minneapolis legislator that will support the bill. Very interesting. It reminds me of Yoda's comment when he said, "No, there is another." Who is this mystery Minneapolis legislator?

UPDATE IX: Ugh. Another amendment has been offered, fortunately by the pro-stadium Kelliher. Hopefully this will be done soon.

UPDATE X: Steve Smith just said that he doesn't agree with the bill but that he will vote to move it out of the Ways and Means committee. Very interesting. Has Sviggum asked him to vote Yes just to get it to the floor? Larson is saying he is for the stadium, but he wishes it was a statewide or even regional tax. Again, very interesting. I think we are going to see this kind of idea when Pogemiller gets a hold of it in the Senate Taxes Committee.

UPDATE XI: The bill passed 18-16. Finally. More comment tomorrow. Have a good night everyone!

Posted by snackeru at April 24, 2006 7:58 PM | Stadiums 2006

No more talk from Dorman about putting the ballpark in St. Paul? He should keep needling that Hennipen County delegation.
-Jiminstpaul

Posted by: Jiminstpaul at April 24, 2006 8:34 PM

Ha! No, He hasn't brought up that. I'll let you know if he does!

Posted by: Shane at April 24, 2006 8:37 PM

Shane, i just tuned in online...What amendment was just adopted? It's 8:50...

Posted by: kevin in az at April 24, 2006 8:47 PM

I just wrote about it. This is an interesting amendment. It reminds me of the Rozelle letter that the Vikings got when the Metrodome was built. Not a bad insurance policy to have...

Posted by: Shane at April 24, 2006 8:48 PM

Jiminstpaul, you got your Dorman-St. Paul comment!

Posted by: freealonzo at April 24, 2006 9:42 PM

I thought Woodbury was filled with affluent, intelligent people...HOW DID KAREN KLINZING get elected???? She sounds like a 6th grader when she speaks.

Posted by: kevin in az at April 24, 2006 10:04 PM

omg, would you people vote already and stop re-hashing the same wah wah wah that's been said for 10 years...My favorite is right now, the Bloomington Rep is whining because the tax shouldn't be limited to just one area that it should be spread state-wide...WELL MR LARSON, you and your morons had 10 years to create a state-wide solution, but farted around the issue instead, now it's a localized issue and the out-state legislators are loving it...TOO BAD SO SAD!!!!!

Posted by: kevin in az at April 24, 2006 10:17 PM

Great news! Thanks for the updates tonight. Good job and good night.

Posted by: Ryan at April 24, 2006 10:31 PM

No way MLB is going to sign a Rozelle-type letter. Could you imagine the Nationals still in Montreal where there were what 3-5k people there a game and could not leave because of a letter? Won't happen.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at April 24, 2006 11:01 PM

Shane,

I'm in Pogemiller's district. I got an interesting letter back from him yesterday. He's also in the "pro-stadium" side, but he want's STATE money involved not County.

I don't know which way he'll vote. My guess is that he's 'against', but we'll see. He left it open for either choice.

D33

Posted by: drake33 at April 25, 2006 12:29 AM

D33 is right. The word is that Pogey is going to try to bundle all three stadiums together funded by a metrowide sales tax. Apparently it's not because he wants to kill the stadiums but truly believes stadiums should be paid for regionally. (which also gets around the referendum issue) Not sure what his prospects are. But assuming house passage of the Twins on Wed or Thur,it appears that the Senate is the roadblock to getting the Gophers and Twins done. Who'da thunk it 2 months ago?!?

P.S. Senator Higgins also supports Twins ballpark.

Posted by: freealonzo at April 25, 2006 8:54 AM

freealonzo,I would have thunk it! And Poegy is looking ridiculous trying to be on both sides of this issue !

Posted by: jimj at April 25, 2006 10:50 AM

Dorman is a genius! Let's show Hennepin County just how much St. Paul wants a stadium. Here's how to do it. Give St. Paul voters the chance to vote on taxing themselves for a Twins stadium. When they vote yes, Hennepin County legislators will see how foolish their advocacy of a referendum is.

Um, oops:

Dateline: St. Paul, Minnesota, November 5, 1999 -"In a stinging defeat, St. Paul voters rejected the city mayor's proposal to increase the sales tax to construct a new baseball park for the Twins. In an unusually high turnout, the city's voters defeated the it by a 58-42 percent margin. The present owner, Carl Pohlad, was quoted as saying "I can't believe it. I can't believe any city would turn us down. I'm shocked."

Of course, Dorman's assinine comments makes his opponents' point in another respect. The stadium tax does build the stadium for the "statewide benefit" of all the other counties outside Hennepin, including Ramsey and other metro area counties, without costing them a dime. Hennepin taxpayers are paying for this stadium for Ramsey County, and Anoka, and Dakota, and on, and on. And that's why this bill will pass w/o a referendum.

Dorman is also one of the legislators who was offering his vote for this plan last spring in exchange for eliminating state review of local option sales tax increases:

"The greater Minnesota lawmakers say under their proposal, residents of the communities where new sales taxes are proposed would get to vote on the increases - something not included in Hennepin County's stadium proposal. Dorman and one colleague, DFL Rep. Gene Pelowski of Winona, said they'd only support the stadium if they achieve the local sales tax change."

So, in the place of state review would go -- you guessed it -- a mandatory local referendum on the sales tax increase. It seems what is good for Dorman's gooses in Albert Lea is not good for the ganders here in Hennepin.

There is hypocrisy on both sides of this debate. Let's not celebrate it though. Dorman is a joke.

Posted by: David at April 25, 2006 1:46 PM